Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2007, 01:48 AM   #61
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I beg do differ - please read the following:
<Snip>
Sorry but I believe that jfdavis58 is right in what he said, he just didn't elaborate much.
Your monitor and printer probably shouldn't be using the aRGB colour profile since they should have their own unique profiles, unless or course they are specifically designed to use aRGB . In fact your monitor profile will be different depending on the lighting in its location and it would be rare for 2 monitors under the same lighting to use exactly the same profile, and the profile for your printer will depend on the ink and the paper. aRGB and ProPhoto are working space profiles not display or print profiles ... in the majority of cases ... perhaps your printers ink and paper combination just happens to be aRGB ? Methinks you may need to re-read guidlines 1 and 2 from UPDIG.
Just to clarify I say this not as an expert in the field but someone who works in IT and has recently spent a lot of time sorting through the missinformation on the internet trying to understand this colour space stuff. So I could be totally wrong in my understanding of colour spaces or I could be missinterpreting what you are saying ... in which case feel free to ignore me
But from the way jfdavis58 writes I wonder if he works in an area that deals with this stuff ... in which case he'd be classed as an expert and you'd be well advised to listen ... colour spaces are a black art

All that said ... if it works for you (ie your prints match your screen which matches the original scene) then who cares if it's not the proper way of doing it.

Last edited by BarneyCG; 04-25-2007 at 02:00 AM.
04-25-2007, 04:22 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyCG Quote
All that said ... if it works for you (ie your prints match your screen which matches the original scene) then who cares if it's not the proper way of doing it.
Another way to phrase it: for 90% of use, this problem is overstated, because even people who think they're being really picky can't tell the difference in output.
04-25-2007, 06:01 AM   #63
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Another way to phrase it: for 90% of use, this problem is overstated, because even people who think they're being really picky can't tell the difference in output.
Hey up until recently, and infact still 90% of the time, I don't even use colour profiles ... Ok thats not exactly true but everyting is on defaults and GIMP isn't colour profile aware ... and I'm happy with the results I get.
04-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #64
Veteran Member

The problem is not overstated. On the contrary there are a lot of people using uncalibrated devices and adopt to the situation. For example by learning to do the print version a bit darker than the web sRGB JPG version is, or the other way round. Then when they switch monitor, or checks the forum from work they adopt to that situation. This can be seen in many posts over time.

Then we have the fact that many expect quirks to happen. For example: leaving the printing to a machine at a photo store often is hazardeous. If you ask if they have the printer profiled you shall not get surprised if they tell you they don't know, "but our customers are happy".

The problem is wide spread. The discussions come up from time to time. Over time more people are buying simple monitor calibrator devices. Most of them can later witness about it and a common comment is "It did a world of difference, now I know what my pictures look like for others".

My guess is that those not being able to tell the difference in output also can't see VPN and also can't tell decent bokeh from bad bokeh from front focus from color casts from underexposure from.... Why shouldn't they be happy? (The only thing is that they wasted money on a capable camera they can't utilize. So what?)

imo,