Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K20D No Card In The Camera

I bought the camera about a month ago and SanDisk Extreme III 4GB memory card. It is not bought on ebay and it is genuine SanDisk card $80. I didn't have any problems until today. Just got home after taking pictures in the local park and after transfering the pictures to my laptop via card reader camera gives me this error message "No card in the camera". I always take the card out and plug it in the card reader, transfer pictures, put it back in the camera and format the card. I tried also to use other cards and it seams that camera can't recognise none of them. They work in the other cameras but not in mine. I tried googling it but didn't find anything relevant about this except somebody that had same problem with
K10D but but nobody had a solution. I take very good care of my equipment, I never dropped it or did anything that would make it not work.

05-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you say you bought your memory card from eekbay, I have to ask the following question:

Are you sure its a genuine memory card?

Some time ago, there was a thread about this.

Fake Memory Cards - OCAU Wiki
Beware of fake memory cards
Fake SanDisk Compact Flash card
Fake memory cards demystified - Tips & Tricks - CNET Asia
Beware fake memory cards | Storage Bits | ZDNet.com

It is unbelievable how many counterfit things are out there. Not only Rolex watches or Louis Vuitton bags. You can find just about anything from band aids to fake Alka Seltzer and spark plugs. Remember. ANY PRODUCT THAT HAS A GOOD NAME, IT WILL BE COUTERFITTED SOMETIME. It doesn't need to be fancy or expensive.
05-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nelepl Quote
I tried also to use other cards and it seams that camera can't recognise none of them. They work in the other cameras but not in mine.
Quick question, do all these cards work in a reader as well? If they work in everything except your camera chances are that something with the internal card reader in your camera has gone south. when you push the card in does it still slide and catch like you are clicking a retractable pen?
05-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Since you say you bought your memory card from eekbay, I have to ask the following question:

Are you sure its a genuine memory card?

Some time ago, there was a thread about this.
It is NOT bought on ebay and it is genuine SanDisk card $80. It was bought in the same shop where I bought the camera and trust me I know what is fake, and the reason I said this in my first post is because not to get that kind of questions.

QuoteQuote:
Quick question, do all these cards work in a reader as well? If they work in everything except your camera chances are that something with the internal card reader in your camera has gone south. when you push the card in does it still slide and catch like you are clicking a retractable pen?
They work everywhere else except in the camera which means that there is the problem with the camera not the card. Card slides and catches when you put it in the camera.

Now I did something this morning. I put the card back in the camera and while I was looking at it I somehow pulled the card out little bit and suddenly camera read ti, so I guess there is some problem with connection inside the camera. I didn't take it out since, but I still don't like this and I want to know how to fix it. Even if it works for now it does not mean that it will not fail in the middle of the shoot so don't think that I fixed the problem, I just fixed it temporally. I still want to know if somebody else had the problem and how did they fix it.

05-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The contacts on the reader should make contact with the card fingers about halfway up. So pulling out the card a little bit should not have fixed the problem. My guess is the locking mechanism once you push the card all the way is not pushing the card into the contacts properly when you push it in all the way. It could be that it is too far in and the card is bowing slightly casuing one of the center pins to not make contact. If you look at the card while inserted into the camera it should NOT be flush with the slot opening. It should protrude slightly starting where the card has a indented line. If it is flush then that is probably the cause of the issue you are seeing.
05-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Have you tried another SD card in the camera?
05-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a no cost try, take some isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth and clean throughly the contacts on the card. Make sure you don't snag them with the cloth. Let it dry fully, then insert and remove several times to make sure the inside contacts are also clean. If it works you owe me an on-line cup of coffee. If it doesn't, well you are not out much $$$.
05-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My K20D uas been at Pentax Colorado for three weeks with the same issue, they are waiting for some parts from Japan that must be arriving via row boat. They have no estimate of the date and said they would expedite the repair once they get the part in stock.

05-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well it works for now by pulling the card up litle bit, I will se what will happen in future.