Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #16

I also did a quick visual comparison of whether the K200D's NR settings made any difference for RAW output here. (It doesn't actually answer the question of whether any NR is applied to RAW, but it does show what the camera's settings do, which was the original question.)

05-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I shot say 95% at ISO 100, and always NR off, so I have no clue about when to turn on NR, when to turn off, any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Best wishes.
Can.
When to turn on noise reduction? Around the third page of a thread on PentaxForums .
05-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #18

When to Turn on Noise Reduction? When you need to reduce graininess by sacrificing small details. "Grain reduction" would be a more fitting term to describe the feature in my opinion.
05-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
It only affects JPEG, so if shooting RAW it won't matter

You are assuming everyone has a newer model DSLR. These discussions of Noise Reduction must specify the camera model.

The K1x0D cameras have only one NR option and it affects RAW. This is a dark frame subtract which is mainly for long exposures. Turning it on doubles the time to take a photo but greatly reduces the noise generated by the sensor heat. While I'm typing here my K110D is outside taking a series astrophotos of 2 minutes each. It is in RAW mode and it takes an additional 2 minutes to take a dark frame and subtract it from the RAW data.

I've read the K20D has very different NR options than mine and unfortunately is the first Pentax that can't turn off the dark frame on long exposures.