Good Optics 40038.42%
Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #166
Veteran Member

I've been walking in the Shropshire hills today, and typically for a British July it p****d down all day!

But I slung the K10 and DA50-135 over my shoulder as usual, it's been submerged in a river before now so a British summer downpour wasn't going to bother it, and it didn't.

I have to say that the weatherproofing and the 'feel' of the K10 were the main considerations to me when I bought it.
I'd had various Canon's for almost 35 years and naturally looked at them first. But they felt cheap and flimsy, certainly after the EOS 600 which I still have.

I think at least 6 or 7 people commented today about me carrying the Pentax with water running off it, complete strangers asking what camera it was?
And grumpy Canikon owners who were afraid to get their cameras out of their bags!

I thought long and hard about changing to Pentax, but I don't regret it.

07-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my first Pentax for one reason: it offered AA batteries. I had almost bought a Nikon for months, but something just didn't feel quite right. Then I found the K100D, and I knew this was the camera for me. Once I started looking at photos on flickr, one - taken with the FA 77/1.8 - caught my eye. I was in love!
07-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #168

I bought the Pentax K20D because of:

-big bright viewfinder (much better than the Olympus E-510 i had before)
-"solid feeling", best in that price class
-just felt right in my hands, buttons are where i want them to be
-nice lenses and good compatibility to old lenses

The *ist DS i got last week doesn't feel as good in my hands as the K20D, but for taking walks it's just better, smaller, lighter.
07-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #169

QuoteOriginally posted by PaddyB Quote
1. Weather proofing and build quality - I'm a traveler first and a photographer second. Babying a camera would ruin the experience for me. I've already shot in the rain, the jungle humidity and around splashing water. I've also accidentally smashed the body into rocks and tree branches on several occasions. The K10D is tough as hell, I can throw it in the top pouch of my backpack and pull it right out when its time to take a shot (I do however wish it was a bit smaller, oh how I want a K-7!)

2. In-body SR: I don't generally take a tripod hiking or motorcycling, I often dont have the time (or level enough ground) to use one. Being able to use any K-mount lens handheld with acceptable results is great!

3. Value: Canon and Nikon's alternatives in the price range dont work for me. While the performance may be better on C and N cameras (less so now with the K-7), most of the cameras in my price range are lightweight crap with dumbed down features. The K10D's shooting modes and dual e-dials have done much more for my photographic education than any auto scene mode on a C or N. Also, the availabilty (both new and used) of good quality glass at less-than-outrageous prices is great!

So there you have it! My Pentax is a very useful lifestyle tool and not a photographic phallus extension to show off to other enthusiasts (no offense).
+1. I also like that the Pentax used AA batteries, a feature I have utilized many times when my rechargeables went dead.

07-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #170

Honestly, I would have chosen Nikon if the price had been right, and if their entry-level models had in-body AF.

Having said that, I am completely satisfied with my Pentax K200D. The price was right, the features are exactly what I need as a beginner, and it sits very comfortably in my small hands.
07-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #171
Igilligan

Because I am not a bright man...

I bought my fist Pentax DSLR (k100) because I had two old lenses from my twenty year old film camera that I read would work on it. I had done all my research and had decided on the Nikon D50 or D70, but those two k-mount prime lenses in the attic ended up swinging the deal to pentax...

Stupid me!

Only later, when the LBA kicked in and I found ebay, did I realize the two lenses were only worth about 50 bucks...
I could be happily snapping away with a D300 by now!

Instead of looking at the K-7 and shaking my head.
07-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i was liquored up

07-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had a Gun to my Head!
I read different forums like Canots, Nikots, Snyers,Pentax. and the only group that seemed serious about there equipment was the Pentax people, they also made a good case on the price, quality and availabilty of lenses.
07-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I had a Gun to my Head!
I read different forums like Canots, Nikots, Snyers,Pentax. and the only group that seemed serious about there equipment was the Pentax people, they also made a good case on the price, quality and availabilty of lenses.
That's funny, I checked out TVs by Sorny, Panaphonic and Magnetbox. I bought the Carnivale. Now *that's* a TV - genuine molded wall plug!
07-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #175
Veteran Member

My first 'proper' digicam was an Olympus c5060 (like in Fl Gulfer's avatar!) But I had had a Pentax film SLR since I was about 16. So Pentax felt natural, and I even had a couple of lenses I could use. The backwards compatibility was a huge selling point for me! I got an istDL2 a few years back, although I lusted after the K10D when it came out - too expensive for me though!

This year my DL2 was nicked, but I was delighted to find that they had brought out the K200D - which was a very compelling reason to stay with Pentax!

I love the look of the K-7 too... one day...
07-31-2009, 04:45 AM   #176
Veteran Member

I already had a large collection of old Pentax glass when I bought the K10. Backward compatibility, great optics made this a no brainer.

Tom G
07-31-2009, 04:51 AM   #177

Photos: Albums
Loyal Pentax user...

My first SLR was a Pentax Super Program. Later, I got a PZ-1 and then finally a *istDS...

I guess, I'm partly a loyal Pentax fan and partly because the price and features were right for I wanted to do...and also, I'm able to use all my K-mount lenses...

There's also the aspect of understanding the product line...I have no clue how the Canon or Nikon product lines are arranged....
07-31-2009, 05:05 AM   #178

I went with Pentax k100d super after a good experience with a Nikon D40. Here's why:
As I thought of my growth and lens expansion, I realized that Nikon would be a much more expensive way to go. I love that all the old lenses can benefit from SR in the Pentax, and Super Takumars are often found less expensively than older Nikons, which the D40 did not support as easily (no metering, etc.)
I really hurt me to sell my Nikon mount 90mm 2.5 macro, but I could not bring myself to attempt a mount change, or to let it sit in a box somewhere - and besides, I got my DA 40 ltd and a little more with the money!
07-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #179

i dont shoot at night
i dont shoot sports
Pentax high end lenses vs Canikon high end lenses is a no brainer
07-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #180
emr

QuoteQuote:
Why did you buy a Pentax DSLR?
I've been asking myself the same question. After the lens price hikes I can't afford (or justify paying for) the great lenses I was planning to get and they were a great part of the brand's appeal.