Good Optics 40038.42%
Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #211

Photos: Gallery
Been using Pentax since my dad game me his old k1000 when I was in high school. I had one judgment mishap with a rebel 2000. But I quickly came to my senses.

08-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #212

I was in the market and had played with a friends D80 right after it first came out. Started doing lots of research and starting reading about the Pentax models. For me it was either Pentax or Nikon. When it came down to it, I was going to be a dad in a month and wanted to use the same lens that my father took pictures of me when I was born. He had a K1000, mine now.

K10d seemed like a better choice for being in the Pacific Northwest, weather seals. I feel lucky to be in the Pentax family. My friends with Canons and Nikons are always a little pissed that I find great primes for next to nothing. I am pretty frugal and I am pretty damn sure that I would not be able to get great glass for Nikons or Canons on my budget. I have had my K10D for a little over a year and the only other camera that felt good to me is the D300 and D700. I laugh when I go lens shopping with my Nikon friend. I tell him that I will let the people with money buy Nikon and Canon, where the people with sense will buy Pentax.
08-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #213

Indeed, you can find a lot of primes at sale for a lot less money than nikon or others. I spent the past few days on ebay looking for Pentax and Nikon (for my girlfriend's D5000) lenses and the difference is huge!
08-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #214
Pentaxian

Looked at Nikon, Canon and ruled them out due to lack of in body SR. The Sony line was a contender, but the ability to use soooo many older Pentax lenses won me over.

08-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #215
Inactive Account

All the years I shot film I've used Olympus and after that system was stolen I was shooting an old Canon F-1 and AT-1. Both still survive and work wonderfully. When I decided to go digital the Canon and Olympus models did not feel right in my hand or at my eye. I tried the Pentax K100 D and K110 D and was hooked. It felt right. It has been an extension of me, the way I felt with my Olympus OM system years ago. I'd like to upgrade to a higher end Pentax model at some point but was hoping that there would be a full frame DSLR model in the near future.
08-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #216

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Body SR.
Price/Performance ratio.
Ergonomics
Older Lens Compatibility.
Top LCD panel even for beginner SLR's
08-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharathk Quote
Top LCD panel even for beginner SLR's
Too bad this isn't true anymore... Not a dealbreaker seems the back LCD is pretty good these days I guess
08-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #218
Forum Member

I bought my k100ds 2 years ago coming from a Kodak z series easy pic p&s. I had no photography background. For three months I read everything I could about DSLRs and read as many reviews/specs I could get my hand on. I was all set on a Nikon until I went to the store to try one. I found Nikons to be too small for my hands and the buttons seemed counterintuitive to a newbie. Everyone has a Canon, but when I picked one up, it felt like a cheap plastic POS (at least for the price they were charging). I had come across Pentax in the reviews and based on sample pics, I thought the Pentax was comparable to entry level Nikons/Canons.

I really liked the backwards lens compatability, dust removal feature, in camera shake reduction, and reported build quality. What really did it for me however, and gave me the confidence to purchase one sight unseen was the almost cult following of Pentax users.

At the end of the day it came down to this. Pentax had been around for long time and seemed to put more money into building a solid, quality camera than marketing to soccer moms. It seemed like the best bang for the buck both short and long term. My newbie eyes saw Canon as the trendy fad camera, Nikon as the expensive snob camera, and Pentax as the "old reliable" in the back of the room.

08-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #219

My first dslr was the *istD.
My 35mm film gear was Minolta and I had, and still do have, a collection of Dynax lenses.
I got tired of waiting for Minolta to bring out a dslr so when the *istD was released I made the decision to move to a new system. I didn't particularly like the size of the *istD but chose it primarily because of the control layout etc. A friend of mine was a Canon rep and he let me play with their offering but I wasn't impressed.
I now have a K20D and K-7 with assortment of lenses from 15 to 400mm.
I love the new user interface on the K-7 but wish the camera was just a little larger. The K20D's size is perfect for me and my large hands.
Anyway, I don't regret making the switch to Pentax but with the recent announcement from Sony, there's a temptation to dust off that bag of Minolta lenses sitting in the cupboard. Maybe I should just put them on fleabay and remove that temptation.
08-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter

Why buy Pentax?

K200D
1. I have shot Pentax cameras since high school with very good experiences (I won't say how long ago that was but does anyone remember when Honeywell and Pentax went together?)
2. I have quite a few old Pentax lenses that will work.
2a. Shake reduction in camera instead of in lens
3. Weather sealing was important (I live in the desert and dust gets everywhere!)
4. The price was very good.
5. Developing film is getting EXPENSIVE!!!

I have nothing against any of the other brands, and I did check them out, but I just felt that the newer Pentax cameras just offered everything I needed. I would bet that if they were more common in the big stores (Wally World, etc.) that they would be far more common. I think another issue is that many people who move to a dslr move up from a point and shoot and they are more likely to choose a dslr made by the same company who makes the P&S they are happy with.

Anyway, my two cents worth.
09-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #221

K20D

Bought 12/14/2008
Paid $700 from Adorama, for the K20D, 18-55mm kit lens, 2nd battery, and Pentax had the 3Y extended warranty (4Y total), and free shipping to boot.

Unbeatable deal, still a good deal 9 mos later, and have enjoyed the camera!

Liked it so much, 3/10/2009, bought an Optio A40 from TuttleCamera in Cali -
$130 for the camera, case, 2Y Pentax extended warranty, free shipping - again, how can ya beat it???
Wanted a P&S with more control, and it offers Tv and full manual mode, decent video, and same IR remote between the K20D and Optio A40.

T
09-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #222
Pentaxian

I bought a K10d (right before the K20d) because of the combination of price and quality. I didn't necessarily think Pentax was the best, but I thought i was the best per dollar. Where I thought it might be lacking in quality seemed minor, and it is better than any other digital camera I've owned (my first dSLR).

I also have to admit the generally cheaper lenses and the backward compatibility with older Pentax lenses was a consideration although I came from a Minolta film SLR background (i.e. I didn't own any Pentax lenses).

I am glad I got what I did though. I hate Sony, and I would have been torn having my Minolta lenses and having a Sony be my choice for compatibility (not sure if they even are as I haven't bothered looking now that Sony has a dSLR).
09-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #223
Inactive Account

I had an Olympus OM1 for 30 odd years and it has proved quite Oggyproof, but not a particularly large selection of lenses.

When I went digital, I tried the various Canikonypus offerings but as soon as I picked up the K20, it just felt right. Fitted my hand nicely and felt solid and heavy.

I like it even better now I have the grip on it.
09-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #224

Other.

Well...After recommending C&N to a friend (based on forums and reviews) my friend listened to the good sales staff at the local shop and bought a K100D based on feel and price. I was of course perplexed. "Why would he not buy Nikon or canon?" I though to myself. I though he had made a mistake. He offered to trade cameras for a week just so I could get the feel of a DSLR which i did. That week was a revelation! Not only did i learn that I loved optical viewfinders but I was able to take some shots that my G7 would not take (such as shallow DOF) After that week the results left me feeling betrayed as a consumer as all of those reviews made the gap in qualities sound so huge like my hobbyist experience would be able to tell.
My workplace also had a K100D for a week and the CEO returned it for an XTI and that was the nail in the coffin as I personally found the XTI not only plasticy but the EFS17-85 they bought severely lacking. I overall can use the XTI and get the most out of it but overall it has never made the differences that many have claimed. After trying the K10D and the K10D in a local shop I immediately bough the K10d while on clearance and now have several lenses to boot .
In the end my friend was right about feel and Pentax just felt right it is as simple as that
Cheers
Roger
09-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #225
Site Supporter

Why I chose Pentax - or why Pentax chose me

My first DSLR experience was using a Nikon d70 at work taking industrial and marketing photos, thousands of them, a great camera. When I started researching my own future system Nikon started at the top of the list, I also considered Minolta at the time and of course Canon. I did tons of research and found you could get good quality out all of them. The more I took pictures in poor lighting I realized shake reduction could help - this nearly took Nikon and Canon out of the running, why would I want to pay for this feature more than once? Then Minolta sold out their customers. I've always thought Sony was a real innovator, but a built a lot of poor quality products. Another department at work got one of the Sony Alphas when they came out and I was able to try it out, WOW Ė it felt like cheaply made toy compared to the D70! My kids' Olympus P&S could blow the Sony away in IQ (with the kit lens) and build. Iím sure that Alpha could do better with a better lens, but that convinced me that I didnít want it. I also considered the Olympus Evolts, nice cameras at great prices, but the lens collection is small and very expensive.

The more research I did kept pointing to the Pentax K10d. Built in Shake Reduction, Great IQ, superior build quality with weather sealing, great lens catalog at lower prices than the others, they just feel good in my hands. When I was finally able to purchase a camera the K20d was out and available at the price I initially chose the K10d at. I really donít think the big two can provide anything this good until you about double the price.

Camera Reviews can be misleading on what they rate a camera on. Some features that they think important I could care less about, and something I really want to know about may not even be covered. People need to look at the cameras for what they want to use them for, and obviously they should look at the lens package that will do the job. How many people have SLRs in their closet because they bought a long zoom and all they want to do is take pictures at birthday parties? A funny thing is that most camera reviewers are biased toward a certain brand (you know who). It's comical when you see the Pentax being knocked for little insignificant items that are totally user preference. It's like saying a red car can't perform as good as a blue one because you happen to like blue.