Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #241
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Backward compatibility, also with M42 lenses.
Very wide possibilities compared to price.
When I'll return to film, all accessories and lenses will already be here.

C. doesn't offer anything better for the money, L-lenses are quite expensive, 3rd party lenses have problems.
N. have a beautiful system, great analog and digital bodies, extraordinary lenses and... Prices.
S. i don't like because of their aggressive policy. They follow only S. standards. Like known software company :P
O. is 4/3 and with x2 crop factor it requires really good lenses to get decent results. Not mentioning DR and noise problems of smaller sensors.

It came out that Pentax is a system for me

09-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #242

Why did you buy a Pentax dSLR?

I previously owned a Canon XTi, but sold it when I bought the new Nikon D90, which I was pretty happy with, with the following caveat: I knew I was never going to be happy with a system in which I had to pay for IS/VR each time I bought a new lens.

Then I discovered the Pentax K-7 and was hooked. Now, I'm waiting for it to arrive via UPS.

Reasons for switching to Pentax (especially the K-7):
1. In-camera Shake Reduction
2. Weather resistant
3. All-metal construction
4. In-camera HDR feature (I can't wait to try this!).
5. Composition adjustment (even though it's very limited).
6. Best dSLR value on the market.

I also hope to find some inexpensive, used glass around (maybe on fleaBay or craigslist, etc.).
09-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My first DSLR was a Sony a100, back in early 2007. The biggest thing that got me used to was in-body stabilization, so Pentax was a natural progression later on. But, there were some things that disappointed me with Sony and made me want to switch. Namely, all the 'new' Sony lenses were just marked-up rebrands of Minolta lenses. All of them. Nothing that couldn't be gotten for 1/2 the price and the same exact glass and performance on eBay. Second, high ISO performance in the a100 was absolutely abysmal. ISO 6400 on the K20D is better than ISO 1600 on the a100. Yes, I know they're years apart in manufacture, but still. I shoot almost exclusively with available lightly only, and the only camera Sony had at the time with better ISO performance was the a700, which was around $1200 at the time and far out of my price range.

The actual impetus for "switching" to Pentax (even though I deal with multiple brands on a daily basis) was, sure enough, seeing the high ISO performance of the K20D. At the time of the preview, there was no other camera under $2000 that came anywhere near it. I saw less noise at ISO 6400 than I'd ever seen from any camera in that price range, and that was basically my reason for switching. I actually ended up getting a K200D first because I couldn't at the time afford a K20D, but I knew Pentax was the system I wanted to be with.

Fast forward a little over a year, and Pentax is coming out with the K-x which has the same INCREDIBLE sensor as the Sony a500, which offers best-yet high ISO performance. Sure, it's also available in the a500, but almost all my lenses are K-mount now, and I'm very satisfied with the quality of them. So Pentax has my loyalty sealed with the decisions they're making at the moment
09-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #244

At the beginning of summer I inherited 5 Pentax K-mount lenses and two film bodies. Over the last two months I have accumulated a *ist DS, 2 additional lenses, and a flash for less than $150. I guess Pentax equipment tends to go cheap at auction since there are fewer buyers.

09-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #245

Other: already had Pentax lenses

I've had Pentax camers since 1970. They've always worked well for me and I had a nice collection of lenses, both screw and K mount. So, when I finally decided to try a digital camera, what else would I choose than a Pentax. I have a *stDS and K10d. I'm not sure I'll get another one any time soon, but I still have all that glass.
09-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #246

My dad used pentax; while traveling with him I used it too (LX / kodakchrome) so I grew up with Pentax.

With the two of us it was easier to get some nice lens (which was me convincing him to buy it).

Briefly considered canon but I did not like how it handled in my hands. My uncle gave me his minolta maxxum 9 with a few really nice lens (g series), and I do currently have a sony dslr (a100, less than 160$ new clearanced at best buy so why not....) - so it might be tempting to go full frame with sony - But I have too much pentax glass and for the most part I like the pentax innovation, not too mention the sealing.
12-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #247
Pentaxian

Can't remember if I already posted, so here goes:

I bought Pentax because:
  • Publishing company job back in 1968, demanded I also take publishable pix...I had to buy either Pentax or Nikon SLR
  • I bought a Pentax S1a new...few bucks cheaper than basic Nikon back then
  • almost went Nikon in '75 -almost bought a Nikon F Photomic, but got a Pentax ES 11 instead
  • Digital era-2007...had Pentax gear, including K1000, had used for years. Didn't like isdt D, didn't like basic Canon or Nikon....thought they were all plasticky.
  • Almost went Nikon *D200) or Canon (30D), but instead bought Pentax K10D...weather resistant, shake reduction, could use old Pentax lens..felt like it was built like a tank-had great reviews
  • since then have gone whole hog with Pentax digital-got about 6 lenses, 360 flash, battery grip, extra body (KM)...lot's other stuff by Pentax
  • Great camera equipment...I love it, use it pretty well every day.
12-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #248
Banned

My first SLR was the Canon Pellix QL with 58mm F1.2 lens in 1966 and switched to Pentax in 1974 when I purchased the Pentax 6x7 system with ten lenses from 35mm Fisheye to 400mm. Here is a scanned image from Hot Cars Magazine with a photo taken with it in 1975.

12-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #249

AA batteries and built-in stabilization

For me, cost and flexibility were important.

I wanted a camera that took AA batteries because camera companies keep changing their proprietary batteries. I keep gear a long time, so a few years from now I don't want to have to scour eBay to find some esoteric, expensive power widget with confusing model numbers. Rechargeable AA batteries are always going to be around. Plus my Olympus rangefinder uses the same batteries as my Pentax DSLR. Sweet!

After that, I really liked what my K100D-Super offered for the money:
- Built-in stabilization.
- Kit lens made with real metal, real glass, and an internal focusing system so I can use my beloved polarizer.
- ISO 3200. No other DSLR in my price range offered that.

6MP was almost a selling point for me, really. I don't need to clog up my hard drive with gigantic images. I print no larger than 8x10.
12-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #250

Photos: Gallery
The K-x got me because of a combination of things..

Price

Price and Wide Choice of both new and old Lenses

Ease of Use.. the screens just made more sense to me.. as a novice this one was important.. if its confusing and I don't understand it, I'm not going to enjoy using it.. or get the most out of it..

and I'm naturally an independent and defiant personality..

I bought just the body and my first lens was a Takumar I found on ebay for $40.. without reading much of anything I was able to get started in manual mode.. I'm quickly learning my way around and actually understanding "why" I get different results.. its a good camera to learn on and thats what I was looking for..
12-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #251
Site Supporter

What first got me interested was price. I wanted a DSLR and the K100's were quite affordable.
Then after more research, I discovered that all the high quality glass available from years past would work on any Pentax.
I actually started with a film SLR just to start shooting, I then finally got a *istD as my first DSLR. (well, second, I had a Nikon D70s before that, but that didn't last long).

Also, I like being set apart from the mainstream, being an underdog. it's why used to drag race Pontiacs instead of Chevy or Ford.

I am well pleased with my decision and will always be a Pentax user.
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #252
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have used Pentax since the '70s and have a (too large) collection of Lenses.

It would take a major issue for me to switch brands because of this.

dave
12-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #253
Forum Member

My main reason for wanting a Pentax DSLR was the fact that I had inherited an old Spotmatic and several lenses from my grandfather. I love my Spotmatic and have always liked it's feel compared to my father's old Nikon he got in college. Once I found out that I could easily use all my old M42 lenses with a simple adapter, Pentax was the only choice for me, despite having bought two Canon point-and-shoots. My husband had suggested getting a Canon EOS just because I had gotten used to the menu for Canons, but if it was a DSLR, I wanted a Pentax.

Now the reason I BOUGHT the K200D I have is a bit different. Not only was it because it was a Pentax, but because it was on sale. It was the last one the camera store at the local mall had, and they were trying to get rid of it to open a spot for the K-x and K-7. I got a body with two kit lenses for just under $500 and I still think that other than my two cats, it has been the best purchase I've made in Japan in the three years I've lived here.
12-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #254
Site Supporter

In the beginning of this year the choice for me was between the Olympus e-420 and the K200D. And the main reason Pentax was considered was my experience with a weather sealed point&shoot from Pentax that just kept working in sometimes very wet environments. I considered the Olympus because of the light weight.

In the end the Pentax won because the in body shake reduction, the (if I remember it correctly) more advanced metering system, the weather sealing & build quality and my choice for shooting RAW. (Some of the reviewers of the K200D were not so positive about the JPG's). And the size of the sensor suited me because up until buying the K200D I was mainly shooting landscapes and the benefits of extra zoom that the smaller sensor of the Oly gives you were wasted on me.
12-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #255
Lens Buying Addict

Brief, true story. I've owned a Pentax camera since 1977. I bought the DSLR body to use my lenses.

Took my K10D to a business conference. An attendee saw me shooting on the beach with A35~105/3.5.

He said, "I didn't know you were a camera guy!"

[Some conversational response about my KX, MESuper, backward compatibility - Pause - Hand him the camera]

"Nice. I've always used Canon."

[Zooms and focuses on a bromeliad]

"Wow."

[Zooms and focuses on a beach shelter farther away.]

"How old is this lens?"

"About 25 years"

"Damn. You Pentax guys always had the BEST glass"