Loyal Follower 24423.44%
Good Optics 40038.42%
Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #256

I'm a Canon FF shooter but wanted a something small and easier to carry. Was missing so many photo ops because I wasn't carrying a camera. Tried the Panasonic Micro 4/3rd camera but quickly discovered the lack of dynamic range which was frustrating and unacceptible.

In the 'old days of film' I had a Pentax 67 which I loved!! Made great images with it and always held a sweet spot for the brand since. Then everytime I handled my Canon 2.8 zooms outdoors, I thought this is needlessly too large and would ponder the the DA Limited lenses from Pentax and a small body.

So finally pulled the trigger on a KX and a bunch of DA PRIMES. I'm soo eager to receive them, I can't sleep (seriously)! I sooo wanted the K7 but preferred the sensor of the KX, especially after being so unhappy with the Micro 4/3rd sensor.

So I'll share my findings. I still have my Canon gear so it will be interesting to compare them.

12-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #257

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First SLR I used was a K1000 back in journalism school.

Loved the weight of the Pentax--tried out Canon and Nikon-they felt flimsy in my hands.

Also love the backward compatability of the lens and the weather sealing offered.

Very happy with what I have, now just need to expand on the lens side.
12-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #258
Veteran Member

not so much just flat out price, but more like value for the money. also I like being different. Its not that I hate being mainstream but i like when people ask, what is that, Ive never seen it before
12-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #259
James S

I bought a Pentax *istDL because I wanted something more than a Fuji S5600 and my mum had been using a MZ-50 for about 5 years, so I knew about Pentax and at the time a camera shop had a special on the camera so I bought it!

Now upgraded to a K200D and love it, but in the back of my mind looking at a K20D or a K-7...

12-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #260
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shoey Quote
1. Price
2. Shake reduction
3. AA battery, SD card slots
4. (found out after i bought it ) backwards compat & semi-automation of vintage lenses with features like SR & focus confirm...
X2
12-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #261

The price was amazing, features are up to date, and I just wanted to buy something other than the mainstream overpriced models.
12-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #262
Pentaxian

Went to the local camera shop looking for an entry level DSLR, with a friend's recommendation to try the Canon and the Nikon. He said to get the one that handled best - they both take great pictures.
I tried the Canon Rebel and was struck by its "Mattelness." It was very hard to see clearly through the viewfinder. The Nikon D40 felt a bit better, and in contrast to the Canon, the buttons and controls seemed to be in the right places. It was still hard to see through the viewfinder - no doubt due in part to my coke-bottle-bottom glasses.
I picked up the K200D and was struck by its build quality- my first thought was "now *this* is a camera." The viewfinder, though *tiny* compared to my film camera was bright and clear - I could easily see everything. I thought this one's got a chance of giving the kind of service that my last film SLR has given me.
Then I did some research. For me, ergonomics, in-camera shake reduction, nice viewfinder, legacy lens compatibility, AA batteries were all pluses over other manufacturer's models. And did I mention the build quality?
12-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #263
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Besides Better Pricing and great optics (past and present), I voted "other". The Other is for the logical layout and feature set for photographers. I have owned 2 Canon DSLRs (D60 and the XTi) and it seamed there was to much menu digging for common adj. I have owned Olympus DSLR...which was much better than Canon in layout...But the Pentax K20d....is Perfect (for me). Other Pluses over other cams in the $600 range...Pentaprism, Weather Sealed, 14.6mp sensor, good high ISO detail will low noise. High Quality Body components. 100k + shutter. Green Button. as so on.

12-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #264
Inactive Account

My parents bought me my K10D for Christmas (it was all I got that year lol) because I had been using a Pentax Super Program. We bought a huge packet of lenses for $200 on ebay for pentax and my parents thought it would be cool if I could have a camera that could use them.

Basically its because pentax was smart and make their cameras compatible with most of their lenses.
12-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #265
Veteran Member

for me, it was lenses. I already had 50mm f1.2 with me and few other old lenses from my film days. So pentax in digital made most sense.

if it were not for lenses would be probably sony user (probably a700 or a900 user).
12-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #266

For me it was mainly about the price... everything that the K-x can do made it worth it for me. the pentax feel was something new to me - had a canon and a nikon slr growing up and my new pentax just feels right... plus the cam is damn sexy!
12-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #267

Cheating a bit...

Well, I own and work with several brands of DSLRs. Honestly the Pentax are my favorite for several reasons:

- Built-in stabilization (Sony's seems to work a bit better) allows me to shoot in extreme low-light using a F1.4 lens at very low shutter-speeds. I know now a D3 (which I used but do not own) can do even better due to its ISO performance but the cost and size is enormous.

- Pentax lenses have the best value. When you look at every brand's top-end constant aperture-lenses, Pentax' are more affordable. They make the cheapest weather-sealed lenses of anyone.

- The camera works for me. When its time to put the camera on a tripod going in self-timer automatically disables Anti-Shake and enables mirror lockup. Saves my time and mistakes every single time.

- The K-series all help me make less mistakes. Why? Because I set up the camera to reset EC, WB and ISO on each power-cycle. Other DSLRs don't do that and I regularly miss shots with my Canon DSLR because I did not reset something before turning the camera off.

- The weather-seals are awesome. My K20D stood against harsh rain and snow for hours without problems. Winter is coming so I'll try this on the K-7 soon.

The K-7 which is now my primary camera serves for all my static subjects: landscape, urban, macro, architecture (wish I could afford a tilt-shift for it though). It also makes very nice portraits.

For action though, I find all Pentax DSLRs to be slow at continuous focus (AF-C) and therefore not being so continuous with it on. For such cases, I use a Canon EOS 20D, although today I'd get a 40D instead.

Wildlife would be great with Pentax if they had good long lenses. The nicest ultra-sharp long zoom I found for it is the Sigma 100-300 F4. Beyond that image quality takes a serious dip with what is available.

- Itai
Digital Camera Buying Guide, Photography Articles and Reviews | NeoCamera.com
12-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #268
Veteran Member

I've done photography for a long time -
but the Pentax K100D was my first dSLR.

This was because the K100D had the features that I looked for - in-body shake reduction - good high ISO performance - but at a reasonable cost - plus I had always been aware of Pentax reputation of good quality (esp. optics) for value.

However this is more about my most recent purchase of the Kx.

I had been coveting a dSLR for better high ISO performance since the introduction of the Nikon D90, then came the more affordable D5000 and even the Canon T1i - while there was the new K7 - it was following the Pentax tradition of allowing noise to retain detail/definition. I thought I would have to jump ship and change systems to gain in high ISO - and have to buy VR lenses to get the same benefits I was already enjoying with my K100D.

I held back mainly because 6Mp was good enough for the majority of my usage and only ISO3200 was "marginal" on the K100D - although I seemed to using it more and more.

Then came the Kx - and it was like a dream come true for me.

The Kx had high ISO performance that rivaled and bettered that of the D90 and extended all the way up to ISO12800 - yet retained all the other desirablity of Pentax dSLRs - like the in-body shake reduction.

So once I had confirmed for myself that the performance at high ISO was as good as most people were saying - for me the final confirmation was the test sample images posted on Imaging-Resource - where I could directly compare the Kx images side-by-side with those from the Nikon D90, D300s, Canon 7D, T1i - probably the acknowledged leaders in high ISO for APS-C sized sensors -
I went ahead and bought my Kx.......

and the Kx is everything I had hoped for -

ISO3200

ISO5000
12-08-2009, 05:38 AM   #269

pentax

OK- I am new to dslr. The Canons felt horribly cheap. Nikon felt better. The one pentax I held, a km, felt like a real camera . I was leaning towards the nikon because of the not having AA batteries. Then the kx came out and the reviews were good . Especially the low light results. So I went with it. And guess what? Love it. It's easy to use. I have had the batteries in for over a month and no issues with lots of flash use. Nancy
12-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #270

To begin with the price of K100D got me interested, after reading reviews and doing a bit of research I was sold on in-body SR and the backwards compatibility for lenses.

In general Pentax delivers better value for money in my opinion the Canon, Nikon or Sony, not to mention that Pentax primes are exceptionally good.