Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #286

why did I bought it?

I bought my K10D when it came out.

My budget was about €1000 so my other options where: Sony Alpha 100, Nikon D80 (the D200 was too expensive), the Canon EOS 350D ("just" 8 Mpix as I had no ideia what difference that meant).

From this bunch, the K10D won because of several reasons: old inexpensive optics available, weather resistence, SR (against Canon and Nikon) and better High ISO (agains Sony).

I don't need high FPS (never use continuous shooting) so the Pentax was direct competition to the D200 at a low price.

Now I've so much invested in lenses that it would require something trully amazing (maybe a small D700 same size as K-7 with Sony Steadyshot ) to make me change brands. And even then... I really love my 31 and 43 limiteds!

Regards,

12-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Better options, hate mainstream (but will buy it if it's the better option).

In doubt between the Canon 450, Nikon D60 or D90 and the Pentax K200 or K20D. D90 and K20D were the only contenders with regards to options (if I remember correctly) but costs was an issue and I basically already had decided that I would stick with my Minolta X700 for another year or so when I found a (relative) special on the K10D. I had a look at it in the shop, told the salesman that I would come back to him, walked out, turned around and bought it.

The 'other' reason was that the salesman in another shop completely turned me off by pushing me to the Nikon and could not even give good arguments for it.
12-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #288

Photos: Gallery
Best value. People can take their shots at the cameras themselves, but Pentax glass has always been among the best in the industry. You'll notice that many times when people on this website are asked what lenses they want from Pentax, they'll usually list a lens that is no longer in production, with some minor upgrade like weather-sealing. The lenses you can use with Pentax are legendary.

I think if there's one thing Pentax shooters want, it's the ability to grow as a photographer and stay within the Pentax brand. Hopefully that's something the people at Pentax will address as they look to keep the K-7 users from jumping ship.
12-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #289
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sbbtim Quote
Those lovely pancakes sold me.

I was offered coffee but no pancakes

12-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #290
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me it was price vs. features plus I had a couple of older K-mount lenses.
12-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #291

Photos: Albums
The high school at which I worked canceled its film photography program, so I acquired a K1000 for a very good price (free). It had a Chinon 50mm f1.4 lens with it, and I purchased a number of old but great lenses to go with it. When I came around to buying a DSLR the K200D seemed a good fit at a good price. When that was stolen, I replaced the K200D with the K20D and I love the flexibility of the old manual lenses (and their prices don't hurt).
12-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #292
Inactive Account

K7: Size/weight in comparison to counterparts, superb build quality, weather sealing, durability, performance, all the features, and then ultimately price. Plus, I like that Pentax is a bit off the well beaten path..

12-21-2009, 01:48 AM   #293
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Features, specifically those that matched up well with motorcycle touring.

When I bought the K200D there was not another entry level DSLR with even moderate weather sealing and AA batteries. Throw in the decent kit lens, wireless flash control, legacy lens support, and I was sold.

I lust after the K7, but now that I'm improving at RAW processing, it will probably be a while before I upgrade.
12-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #294
Inactive Account

I have an A3000 that I bought in the '80's & K1000 plus lenses. After researching the fact that I could use my old lenses on a K-7, I chose to go with Penax again. It just made good sense to me & I never had a problem with those two SLR's, so why not go with another Pentax! Now if I can win the lottery & get some DA*'s.
12-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #295
Inactive Account

Have had low end Pentax gear all my life. Went shopping for a DSLR, and was quite unimpressed with the fit and finish of the Nikon in my price range. In the end, as I was looking quite unenthused, salesman said "Well, we do have a Pentax as well....." Ended up with an Ist DL, one of the all time great DSLRs in my opinion. And pretty soon there were additional lenses and then a K10D and now, I'm a lifer.

Drive a Samsung now because after I destroyed my K10D, I found that there were none for sale in the UK. A helpful chap on the phone said "Look, I've got a Samsung...." so I went for it. Did not want to pay all that extra cash for the new K20D at that moment.
12-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #296

well I was just about to settle on a D90 when my wife seen and ad online for the Pentax K-x white and of course it caught her eye. At first, not knowing much about the camera industry I thought, well it's not Cannon or Nikon so it must be second rate. I started to read up the reviews of the k-x and previous models and there were key phrases that kept popping up in every review like "superior build" and "more bang for the buck". I was also pretty surprised at how the K-x was comparing to the higher models of Cannon and Nikon. I guess I like to root for the underdog. I haven't bought a camera yet but it will definitely be a K-x.
12-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #297
Closed Account

I bought my first DSLR under impression from my conversations with the friend who was loyal Pentax SLR user before D age. He convinced me the Pentax gives the same quality/features as major brands for less, or better features for the same price. Having this opinion in the back of my mind, I couldn't pass great deal on *ist. After that I was hooked up. Even though prices on digital bodies is not so different now comparing Pentax to others, but having bought flash & couple of extra lenses makes switch more expensive then upgrade.
Well, still like Pentax, upgraded to K200D awhile ago, and now will probably switch to K-x ( really like it's High ISO performance ).
One thing bugs me - software support for Pentax raw files is always behind (except Adobe photoshop, wich I don't want to buy .
12-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #298
Forum Member

Initially I was looking into Nikon D40 and Canon Xti, but following features
sold me over to Pentax K100D Super
1. The highest feature-to-price ratio over the others' (IMO)
2. Good build quality and heavy feel as opposed to the "toy" feel of the others.
I was also influenced by the fact that my cousin, who majored optics in
university and works as an optical engineer, was proudly shooting a
Pentax DSLR in my wedding!
12-24-2009, 01:58 AM   #299
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So I just thought of this...

Why is there no "for the great FA* lenses" option in the poll? tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #300
Forum Member

In Body SR. I think that was the big seller for me.

Decided against the Sony offers at the time in favor of the Pentax because it also had the better build. Additionally, it seemed that old lenses were easier to come by than for the Sony/Minolta system.

[Rant]
But of my god, other than the flood of nifty fifties and low grade zoom lenses, you are better off buying new than used lenses these days. The prices are insane, especially on eBay. (and especially in Europe)
[/Rant]

D.