Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #316
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Tamron and Sigma lenses are still the same price across all systems. Pentax adds image stabilization to all these lenses. EDIT: ...and the k-x probably gives you the best IQ/$.
I approached Kx in store twice during December. Wanted to try it out and buy as my travel body.
I mounted FA 77 lim on it and took a bunch of pictures @ F1.8 and F2.
None of the pictures were in perfect focus. I used center focusing point.
From what I noticed cameras were back focusing or front focusing randomly.

I know people are raving about this camera, and I liked the size,look and feel, and ISO 1600 myself, but I couldn't buy none of bodies that they had in store.
I also wonder if people are using Kx with anything better than kit lenses when they raving about it.

01-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
The size,look and feel, and ISO 1600 myself, but I couldn't buy none of bodies that they had in store.
I also wonder if people are using Kx with anything better than kit lenses when they raving about it.
Yeah, any focusing problems would show up at large apertures. BTW, a lot of cameras have problems with focusing under tungsten light, not only Pentax. However, I suppose in a store, you were under fluorescent lights.
01-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #318
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I approached Kx in store twice during December. Wanted to try it out and buy as my travel body.
I mounted FA 77 lim on it and took a bunch of pictures @ F1.8 and F2.
None of the pictures were in perfect focus. I used center focusing point.
From what I noticed cameras were back focusing or front focusing randomly.

I know people are raving about this camera, and I liked the size,look and feel, and ISO 1600 myself, but I couldn't buy none of bodies that they had in store.
Without any kind of proof, this is just pointless conjecture. I know my K-x focuses properly, and I think I have at least 1 or 2 lenses other than the kit lens
01-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #319
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Without any kind of proof, this is just pointless conjecture. I know my K-x focuses properly, and I think I have at least 1 or 2 lenses other than the kit lens
I do not need to proof anything to anybody except myself. What I experienced affected my decision to purchase this camera. If you are happy with yours, good for you.

01-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #320
Veteran Member

I do not need to proof anything to anybody except myself. What I experienced affected my decision to purchase this camera. If you are happy with yours, good for you.
You absolutely do need proof when you are making allegorical statements on other peoples' behalf, such as "I know people are raving about this camera, but..." and "I also wonder if people are using Kx with anything better than kit lenses when they raving about it."

If you were just speaking about yourself, you could've ended with "I guess I had bad luck" or something to that effect. But you chose to refer to other owners of the K-x, so I pointed out how you need more proof to have anyone care about a statement like that.
01-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #321
Veteran Member

You absolutely do need proof when you are making allegorical statements on other peoples' behalf, such as "I know people are raving about this camera, but..." and "I also wonder if people are using Kx with anything better than kit lenses when they raving about it."

If you were just speaking about yourself, you could've ended with "I guess I had bad luck" or something to that effect. But you chose to refer to other owners of the K-x, so I pointed out how you need more proof to have anyone care about a statement like that.
pointless discussion, you don't have lenses with aperture wider then 2.4
Try it first on your camera, we will talk after you will see results.
01-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #322
Veteran Member

pointless discussion, you don't have lenses with aperture wider then 2.4
Try it first on your camera, we will talk after you will see results.
So you're trying a shot at an ignorance-fueled ad-hominem remark? I tested the FA 50/1.4 and F 50/1.7 with my K-x as well. Great results.

Can you try addressing the point of you trying to speak for other people with a baseless claim, instead of deflecting? Or do you not know how?
01-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #323
Veteran Member

So you're trying a shot at an ignorance-fueled ad-hominem remark? I tested the FA 50/1.4 and F 50/1.7 with my K-x as well. Great results.

Can you try addressing the point of you trying to speak for other people with a baseless claim, instead of deflecting? Or do you not know how?
care to show a proof of your great results?

01-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #324
Veteran Member

Care to show proof of your not-great results?

No, you can only deflect
01-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #325
Veteran Member

Care to show proof of your not-great results?

No, you can only deflect
That's what I figured.
01-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #326
Veteran Member

That's what I figured.
01-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #327
Veteran Member

I've been shooting my K-x with FA31 and FA77 wide open and getting pretty good AF accuracy (errors I can mostly attribute to myself). The day before I shot my V125/2.5 wide open and yesterday I shot off a bunch of shots using my A50/1.2 wide open, MF wasn't that bad (using focus confirmation beep). I might try my A85/1.4 today!

So I guess I got lucky ;-)
01-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #328
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I voted price. Being new to DSLR, having only used P&S cameras thus far, price was a big factor for me. I didn't want to spend a large amount as an enthusiast (not even amateur level) until I could learn more about photography. After lots of research, reading reviews, and looking at picture samples, I decided on the K-X. To me it was the best "bang for the buck" when compared to equivalent offerings from Canon and Nikon.
01-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #329

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why Pentax?

I almost bought a Nikon D70s, because that's what "most people get" I was told. I kept asking sales people about the Pentax K10D but they either didn't have one in stock or they just poo pooed it.

So I bought the K10D and never looked back. Glad I did. I love the shake reduction, ease of use, dust removal system, large viewfinder, feel and most of all the ability to use all Pentax lenses ever made. Ever use an old Takumar lens on your DSLR. Sweet!

Try that with Canon or Nikon and their old lenses.
01-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #330

A lot of things really.

Mainly the fact though that when I tried out the Canon 400D and the Nikon D60 I found them to feel cheap and plasticky plus the Canon was really really expensive. Decided on the Pentax due to it's comfortable grip, solid build/WR and the fact it more than matched up to the big two and, I'm not gonna lie, I love having something a bit different. K mount compatibility with old lenses helped too.

Now a proud happy owner of a K200D. Almost two years now...