Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #346

Photos: Albums
Better Options

Good mix about feautures/price.

02-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #347
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why......? Because I had a small inventory of SMC-M lenses from the mid '70s, and I figured after 35 plus years, it was about time to take 'em out of the Halliburton case and use them!
02-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nnyorkie Quote
Also, I'm a bit of a reverse snob when it comes to purchases. I don't like going with the big, well-known names if I can help it. For instance, I've avoided buying a Fender or Gibson guitar for years because their prevalence annoys me.
IMHO, that is just another way of saying "I can't afford the big name brand". Even the poll here clearly demonstrates that People mostly buy Pentax because it is cheaper.

Quite frankly, buying a brand because it is NOT the name brand AS OPPOSED TO buying a brand on merit along is really irrational. This poll also clearly demonstrate that their are irrational people in the forum, as well (re: b/c I hate Canon and Nikon).

I was guilty of been irrational once . Many years ago, I purchased a Kawai K4 keyboard because I didn't want to be like others and buy the ubiquitous Korg M1. I spend err...wasted a lot of time trying to fruitlessly prove that it was better than a M1. Why? Because I was trying to defend my purchase. Truth be known (and in hindsight) I more likely purchased the K4 because it was about $800 less expensive. It was good but not as good as a M1. :-)

I'm not at all stating that Pentax is inferior as it definitely has some advantages over some other cameras. However, it is rather annoying that there are some in this forum that constantly put down Nikon and Canon. Like any product, there is a reason why they are on top, and it is certainly not because Nikon and Canon owners are stupid.

QuoteOriginally posted by nnyorkie Quote
I admit I sometimes have camera envy, as if I'm missing out on something, but I'm so used to the Pentax system now that I can't imagine switching.
That is kind of like me with Corel Paint/Draw vs Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator. I still find workflow much faster with Corel products even though I probably should be using Adobe products for everything I do because it is more powerful.
02-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #349
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hanamai Quote
-Not made in China! (I don't know offhand where the others are made, but I try not to buy Chinese, if I can help it.)
Huh?

Where do you think your Pentax is made. My K20D is made in the Philippines and the lens that came with the kit (I could not buy just the body) is made in Vietnam.

On the other hand, my Canon 50D is made in Japan.

Having said that, my K20D and 50D are of similar build qualities.

It's all about adherence to strict build quality standards, and has NOTHING to do with where the product is made.

And... what is wrong with Chinese products? Just b/c they had some serious issues with food products and lead/arsenic lined children's toys doesn't make the whole country evil and corrupt. Even U.S. companies have sold (and continue to sell - until caught) dangerous products. No country should throw a stone!

BTW, the last I checked, we live in a global community. Protectionism mostly died out in the 30's.

02-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #350
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
IMHO, that is just another way of saying "I can't afford the big name brand".
Not necessarily. Some people will pay *more* to avoid the big brand. Irrational? Sure, if avoiding the big brand is *only* reason, but of course, there is usually some specific niche feature offered by the niche product we use to rationalize choosing it. But let's face it - most of what goes into choosing a product is irrational; nothing inherently wrong with that.
02-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #351

I already had some K-mount lenses, so a Pentax DSLR (K200D) was a natural choice, given that there were no compelling reasons to buy anything else.
02-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #352

Photos: Albums
Best fit for me ; feel, options, in body anti-shake, retro-fit lenses and a bit"off" mainstream

02-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #353
Inactive Account

1. K mount
2. K10d feel and handling
3. Price

02-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #354
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But let's face it - most of what goes into choosing a product is irrational; nothing inherently wrong with that.
I wholeheartedly agree.

But it is only wrong if, one suffers(*1) in some manner because of their initial irrational decision. I hate to say it but I've seen far too many examples of this irrational behavior, whether it is politics, driving (road rage), or making a consumer goods purchase.

I'd like to think I am mostly above this... but I guess I've made my own 'stupid' decisions as well. Heck, I am working in Vancouver b/c of a series of possibly irrational decisions. ( or not sure yet)

*1 (note: One may not actually 'suffer' on account of their irrational decision because of the whole 'ignorance is bliss' thingy... but that is a whole other kettle of fish. :-)

I guess I just take exception to "I bought Pentax because I hate Canon and Nikon" How silly, childish, lacking in knowledge, and somewhat insulting to many of the best photographers in the world. That, to me, is the epitome of irrational behavior.

Note: I am not saying Pentax is a bad camera, on the contrary, despite some flaws in the Pentax series of DSLR cameras, they are still top tier in many respects.

Last edited by pentaxmz; 02-06-2010 at 04:40 PM.
02-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #355

I chose the K200D largely because of its build quality, ruggedness, and weather sealing. I also had a collection of pentax lenses, AF / K / M42, and wanted to be able to bring them into the digital age.

We have a couple of Nikon D-90s at work and frankly, the 200D kills them. It feels better, works better and has better IQ IMHO.
02-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #356

I had a Canon P&S and I was coaxed into a Christmas present since everyone else in the family was getting a new camera. I got the most expensive toy. The Pentax K2000 (and the 18-55 kit lens) was on clearance and then some(<$400). Next was the AA's which i already had. I also liked the in camera SR.

The bad:
- Battery life stunk.
- Being the clearance camera, no accessories, no strap, no software, no lens cover, front, back or hood, no camera cover.

The good:
- love having DSLR, pictures snap QUICKLY.
- Lots of point and click options until i learn to use the camera.
- After firmware upgrade, my AA's last.
- This applies for all cameras: lens, i now have more lens. a 50mm, an 80-200 and a 28-200.

Would i do it again? Yes.

I also bought a camera bag, a Pentax zx-30 that came with the 28-200 lens, screen protector, monopod (already had a tripod), and other assorted gadgets.
02-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #357

Photos: Gallery
I first got a Sears 35mm in early 80's with k mount lens and that got me to looking at Pentax in 2006 when I went to get my first dslr. The ist DL was my pick because of the lens fitting it but I really liked the AA battery idea. Having had very good luck with the ist Dl and the fact that it takes very nice pictures lead me to the K20D which I use now while my wife uses the ist Dl. If the K-7 gets an upgrade, like new sensor or something that will make it worthwhile to move up from the K20D I will most likely get it. It just doesn't seem like the K-7 is $1000 upgrade from the K20D yet. Beside I still need the 100 or so lens that one must have !!!!
02-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #358
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many years ago I was a Canonite, when I decided to upgrade to an autofocus body I discovered that Canon had walked away from the FD mount making my 30something pieces of glass useless. I walked away from Canon at that point.

When I decided to go digital I looked at every body in my price range. I chose the K10d which was a couple hundred less (in kit form) than the other bodies I had been looking at. The camera fit me great, has compatibility with all Pentax glass, and new glass is top notch.

Basically I got more for my money, and never imagined there was a community like this out there.

It's all about shooting and enjoying the process.
02-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #359

New to Pentax

I almost bought a Canon XSi. I have a Canon A710 point and shoot and it has performed very well for a compact. At the last minute, I saw an ad for the Pentax K-x and liked the price of the 2 lens kit. I decided to read the review at the dpreview site. The K-x had almost all the features I wanted plus great low light performance (something I've missed with the compacts). Over the next few hours I read every K-x review I could find. It seemed perfect for my first DSLR so I ordered one the next morning. I've owned Minoltas and Canons but I've always respected Pentax cameras so I haven't been surprised that the K-x is everything I hoped for. Love it.
02-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #360
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Other for me in that I had shot (starting with a Spottie) film bodies for over 25 years, including 645, 6x7 and a couple of LX's and PZ-1p. I was also using a couple of Canon bodies that were good but the Pentax glass was better.

If they had not come out with the *istD when they did, I was going to jump ship. Digital was firmly here and pentax was slow to adopt but I had all these great lenses. In fact I had sold all my MF stuff to buy a Canon DSLR when it was announced.

I am still here because of the SR. If Pentax had gone the way of Canikon, I probably would have moved to Nikon. But the K10D was a game changer.