Loyal Follower 24423.44%
Good Optics 40038.42%
Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2006, 09:49 PM   #31

I didn't got a dSLR camer yet.. But i have chosen Pentax K100D as [I hope] my next camera instead Nikon D50...

Why ? Because when I looked for my choise a couple [1-2] a month ago the Pentax just gave much more for the same amount of money [Great viewfinder, shake reduction, AA bateries optionally, great lenses...].. And when I discovered that all the K mount lenses suited perfectly there was no way back..

So now I hoping to get a K100D in the begining of the next year...

The starting combination that I choose is K100D + 18-70mm kit lens + Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro II ... [Low budget ].. Off course I'll get some 50mm prime lens...

The goal is some long tele prime lense, like the 300mm 4.5

ofcourse Pentax is not perfect, it's a small factory and they can't make the number of K100d and K10d needed for the world markets..

11-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At the time, by brother-in-law worked for Honeywell, the importer of Asahi Pentax cameras in those days. He had an old Spotmatic with a few lenses. The construction quality impressed me as being akin to cycling components made by Campagnolo. In other words, very high and of first quality.

I never considered a different manufacturer's products. When the time came for me to purchase an SLR, it was a MX. Still have that little guy. Going great after 30 years in the barn. Followed it up with a K1000, purchased as a backup to the MX. The K1000 is gone now.

When Pentax finally marketed a dSLR, I was ready for one. The D was too expensive for me at the time, so I got a Ds instead. That original Ds now has about 16,000 exposures on it and has been with me for just over two years now. About a year ago, purchased a second Ds, just for backup purposes. It sees little use.

Recently, got tired of waiting for the K10D, so purchased a K100D. Now, the original Ds doesn't see much use either. The K100D is a great little camera.

The new K10D should join its brothers any week now. Soon...
11-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #33

Value

The K100D brought me to this forum. My camera experience started with a Nikon N65 SLR musta been about 5 years ago. At that time I believed the Cannikon hype, that they were it. The N65 offered better features than whatever Rebel was out at the time for a bit less money. Then film and film development costs got crazy for an amateur who likes to take alot of pictures. It was time to go digital. I'm the USAF, so deployments to dusty, sandy places are a part of life. I'm stationed in SW Idaho, which is also a dusty place. Further, I occasionally do whitewater rafting, fish a fair bit, and am out doing recreational shooting (firearms) or just bumming around in the woods & sage brush, so I wanted a rugged camera. I bought a Pentax Optio 43WR, which has been a great camera, albeit limited as P&S cameras are.

So now I'm deployed again, and realize that I really miss the way an SLR handles, the quick zoom on the lens, MF options, quick shooting, just the SLR experience. I knew dSLRs were getting cheaper, so I started looking. For a camera with lens Canon offered nothing under $700, so they were out. Nikon's D50 looked ok, and then I read about the D40 set to replace it. I saw the K100 & 110 and looked into them. It was clear that Nikon was hurting and made the D40 to try to compete with the K100 on price & the Nikon name. Too bad for Nikon that Pentax blows them away on features. With the current rebate I bought a K100 for less than the pre-order price on a D40.

I voted for price and features as to why I bought a Pentax dSLR. Those two say it all - VALUE - more features for less money. Shake Reduction in body that multiplies the savings with every lens I buy in the future, vs. the big boys huge premuim per lens for image stabilization. I can't say I hate the big boys, but I strongly dislike how they try to sell a name, and not a product. I like how Pentax will challenge the status quo. They didn't get into the mega-pixel war; they maximized a good 6 MP sensor by putting top notch hardware around it. Innovation. Quality. Value. I can't wait until my K100D gets here in the mail.
11-19-2006, 11:10 PM   #34
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I liked the feel of the DS in my hands compared to all other brands and I have used Pentax for nearly 20 years with film.

11-22-2006, 05:07 AM   #35

For me it came down to several issues. My Father has been a loyal Pentaxian for many, many years and using his cameras for a bit doubtlessly had some impact. I also was rather unimpressed with how the Canon and Nikon felt in my hand when I would visit the camera store. I have rather large hands and even though the C & N are in fact larger cameras they felt "clunky" and very unergonomic, the DS feels just about perfect.
11-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #36

Been using Pentax since 1968 when I bought a Spotmatic.

When digital cameras came out, I went to a Ricoh (VGA resolution), various Casios and then my first decent digital Fuji FP4900.

When Pentax started making noises about the *istD, I decided that that was the natural successor as the Fuji S1 and S2 were well above budget.

Briefly considered the Canon 10D, when Pentax took their time. But decided to wait for the D. Still love this camera and won't get rid of it as yet.

Hopefully the K10D won't be long now.

Regards
Mike
11-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Why not chose Pentax.

Well had been away from pentax since I as a child played with a K1000
WHen the K100D were announced I decided to it were time to go back.

IS it reason enough, well maybe not, but both the K100 and especially the K10D seems to be made by smeone whom have actually been using a camera... Not those bigster brands.

Fair Prices counts for something too.. standing out in a crowd is only a plus they do have what I consider the best 50 around. just too bad the old FA's are so hard to get... would die for a FA20 and 24...

Take care all

11-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why Pentax?

In a single word: dependability. I've got a Spotmatic, 2 K1000s, an ME, an ME Super, a ZX-10, a ZX-M, 2 PZ-1ps, a ZX-60, an *ist-D, an *ist DL, a K100D and now 2 K10Ds; 30 years of photography: high school and college sports, religious and social events, vacations and family. Good weather and bad. None have ever been in a service shop for more than routine cleaning. The only loss has been one flash unit destroyed in an automobile accident along with the three cars involved; the camera got a small cosmetic scratch.
11-25-2006, 02:18 AM   #39
Forum Member

Pentax first and always

My first SLR was a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic IIa. I loved that Spottie and used it for years. Later I got a Pentax ME and still later a Pentax ZX-5n. With all that history and investment in Pentax lenses and accessories, buying a DS was truly a no-brainer. I now own a DS and a K10D and couldn't be happier with my choices.
11-25-2006, 05:53 AM   #40

Why I chose Pentax

Besides the obvious advantages for me like it's price, quality optics I like it's ergonomics, compact size of cameras and lenses. It's an SLR system with the goodies of a range finder system for me.
11-25-2006, 06:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Simple!
1. limited edition lenses - producing fantastic images
2. low weight (Unlikely to have dislocate my neck)
3. friendly forums to speak to
4. Chasing rare lenses
5. Cheaper (it is true)
6. A lot of features
11-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #42

Why Pentax?

Silly question
I have been using Pentax since my parents got a ME super and I got my LX back in 1982. Since then I've had a K1000, MZ 50 (disappointing, though) an MZ 5n and a istD. I am waiting to get the K10D delivered. I always liked the feel and the quality of Pentax cameras and never got to like the Canon or Nikons.
11-26-2006, 05:48 AM   #43

I bought my first Pentax SLR in the late 1970s. (Not sure whether it was 1977 or 1978, but I got a Pentax KM.)

Since then I've been adding K-mount lenses and bodies to my kit, and so it was logical when I bought a DSLR that I would go with one that supported my existing lenses.

Having said that, my lenses were all manual focus and since getting my *ist DS I've bought an AF Sigma 28-300 (2nd hand) and an AF Sigma 10-20 (new) and the old MF lenses don't get used all that much. I still use the Tamron 85-210 as it's got the best macro facility of any of my lenses; and I use the 50mm and 35mm primes in low light conditions.

I am still loyal to Pentax and hope to upgrade to the K10D one of these days.
11-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I started with a Pentax ME Super in 1980 with a M50mm f1.7 lens. Progressed(?) to a Tokina 35-105 f3.5-4.3 zoom and then an M28 f2.8, M135 f3.5 and an M200 f4. Traded the Tokina 35-105 for a Pentax M40-80 f2.8-4.
My wife(then girlfriend) also purchased an ME Super a year later and so we were a 2 x ME Super family. We took our cameras on all our pre-marital holidays and obtained some wonderful memories on film from these cameras.
I loved that camera but it was a little tired after 14 years of service and so I traded it for a Z50P in 1994 with an FA28-80 f3.5-4.7 and an FA100-300 f4.5-5.6. Both these zooms were not the best I must say!
About 2002, i purchased my 1st digital camera, a Canon Powershot G3(?) I think it was called. Reasonable pics, but I hated the P&S format and so after a while I was hankering for a DSLR. When Pentax announced their *ist D I was excited to get it, but the price put me right off!! Anyway, after about 12 months the price came down and as I was heading OS for a trip I decided to have a look at one. Compared it to the Nikon D70 and the Canon 300D and the Pentax won but it was a close call to the D70 and the Canon felt like a toy. It was the viewfinder, ergonomics, AA batteries, solid body feel and lens compatibility that won me over. Suffice to say, i have never looked back and the decision to buy it was one of my best.
11-26-2006, 11:57 PM   #45
Inactive Account

I went ahead with Pentax for the price and weight. I had a few Canons before I ordered my K10d, and the lens were pretty expensive and some had a bit of weight to them. Pentax's lens are less expensive and from the specs most are less in weight then Canon's offerings.