Good Optics 40038.42%
Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #91

inherited...

I inherited a body and some lenses - it's to long ago and I can't even remember what body. I traded most of it to a mz-5n and a Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4.0. Can't remember when, but the MZ-5n was fairly new on the marked.

03-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #92
Veteran Member

I just have to stand by the brand that has been bomb-proof for me since I was 8 years old and yes I may be only 24 now, but it's been my brand for my entire photographic life and the only thing that could swing me to someone else would be if they were actually hands down better at everything and reasonably priced. I think I've found my one brand to love and unless tragedy happens it will stay that way.

Oh and I also choose pentax because they are great cameras and will always be something the other guys will look over their shoulders for until Pentax just blazes by.
03-14-2007, 08:44 PM   #93

Perceived best price in pro lens line.

I trusted in the lens road map and believed I would have spend a lot less getting pro lenses from Pentax over time. I will have to wait and see for sure.
03-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #94
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm heading for a remote part of India shortly, and the K10D seemed tough and robust, and has weather proofing - important because I'll be there when the monsoon hits. I also liked the notion of the anti-shake in the camera and not in the lens, and the ability to use a myriad of older second hand lenses. The dust reduction was also important. Am I happy with my decision? Yes and no. The yes part speaks for itself. The no part is more a reflection on my own ability, having graduated from a point and shoot. The absence of scene modes is a pain in the ass for someone like me, but I imagine as I get better, this will diminish in terms of being a negative. But I love holding it. It fits my hand perfectly, and feels so very rugged and strong. It tends to inspire confidence.

03-15-2007, 03:08 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Put me down for "Backwards Compatibility", which was not one of the options.
07-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #96
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
pentax survey

Like the feel, ease of use and price was /is major factor, I was always very loyal with the olympus cameras I have had, but the k20d blows them all away
07-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcool Quote
Like the feel, ease of use and price was /is major factor, I was always very loyal with the olympus cameras I have had, but the k20d blows them all away
thanks for the dig. it started becoz of the K20D and it's cheap and backward compatible primes. and also the DA and DA* and limited series before they got all darn expensive (X2 increase). I'd say screw the new lenses for now, I'm buying older Pentax lenses.
07-09-2009, 04:17 AM   #98
Pentaxian

1. Build quality. The K200D was the only entry level SLR to get good marks for this.
2. AA batteries. Only K200D & K-m/K2000 take these in the body.
3. In-body shake reduction. That rules out C & N, leaving Pentax, Sony & Olympus
4. Good quality kit lens. As I knew Iīd be stuck with it for a while. Only pentax & Oly provide a good one.
5. Ability to use old lenses (although I havenīt taken advantage of this yet).
6. Good viewfinder (K200D has the best in the entry-level class).
7. Lenses that always come supplied with hoods. How Canon get away with not doing this is staggering.
8. AF motor in the body. How Nikon get away with not having this boggles the mind.
9. Bracketing. As above.
10. Sensitivity priority. very useful.
11. Reasonably priced lenses. Although wit recent increases this applies less, theyīre still cheaper than C or N.

I think thatīs more or less everything.

07-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #99
Forum Member

I had a Russian 500mm mirror lens, and an Auto-Chinon 1:1.4/55 lens, both with an M42 screw mount, and wanted to use them. I bought the K-m because the 500mm lens wouldn't fit the K20 or K200 (the flash overhang interfered on those cameras).
07-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #100
Pentaxian

I selected other, as I had older Pentax lenses that I wanted to use.
07-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Wow, this thread spans some time, doesn't it?

I went with Pentax because I'd always loved their glass - it was much better than my 80s Canon glass back in the day - but never could find an LX when I had the cash to buy it. So I stuck with my Canon F1s and Canon FD glass. Digital came along, and I was starting all over, and I remembered that glass...

Also, I realized that the Pentax offered a whole lot for not much money.
07-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by Darius4522 Quote
I'm heading for a remote part of India shortly, and the K10D seemed tough and robust, and has weather proofing - important because I'll be there when the monsoon hits. I also liked the notion of the anti-shake in the camera and not in the lens, and the ability to use a myriad of older second hand lenses. The dust reduction was also important. Am I happy with my decision? Yes and no. The yes part speaks for itself. The no part is more a reflection on my own ability, having graduated from a point and shoot. The absence of scene modes is a pain in the ass for someone like me, but I imagine as I get better, this will diminish in terms of being a negative. But I love holding it. It fits my hand perfectly, and feels so very rugged and strong. It tends to inspire confidence.
I can relate to that. I wish Casio would come with their own DSLR, which would inherit all the awesome features of Casio's P&S cameras. 999 user-definable custom presets would be a good start.
07-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #103
AlexD

Re: Why did you buy a Pentax DSLR?

I got my *ist D and some lenses / accessories as a gift. Been adding to the system since.

I love Pentax. Lots of cheap old manual lenses available---yet with image quality as good as or better than the expensive competition's counterparts.
07-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #104
Veteran Member

FA LTD
still worth every thing else
07-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #105
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Combination of value for money plus quality, which is what I like in everything!