Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked "better options", but the full answer is "better options at a better price."

When I bought my *ist DL, I was shooting Nikon. It sickened me that I needed to spend on a Nikon D200 to simply get metering on old lenses.

I wasn't unfamiliar with Pentax -- I had shot a Spotmatic F (and a Canon TL) for most of my childhood/teen years. I knew that Pentax were slow to the DSLR game, and initially very expensive. (The *ist D was a premium camera with a spendy price.) When looking for options other than Nikon, I decided to actually handle a Pentax camera. When I did, I was sold. The K100D I played with was just as nice a camera as my F80. My current camera (K10D) can hold its head high against the competition, and the K20D and K7 have only made things even better. I'm very pleased with what Pentax is achieving.

07-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #107

Economical package with a large bright viewfinder and image stabilization which make it ideal for an inexpensive manual-focus lens platform.
07-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Other than the chicks and fame?

OK....I started with Pentax film (bought my first when I was 15)....which made my loyal from the start. I went with Canon with the first digital....but would have prefered Pentax to have had something around then. With the K10d......I was able to use a great digital with my older pentax lenses....

Now that I have seen Mike Cash's Tak pics....of course I had to try a couple of those.....he makes it look so easy.....but that's a different story.
07-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #109
Veteran Member

For me, it wasn't a question of a camera, or lenses, but a system.

Weather sealing. I'm surprised how few people mention this, but I suppose that explains why so few cameras offer it. Pentax builds most of its cameras with environmental protection; I believe, because of both the sealing and the tolerances required to make sealing useful, Pentax cameras will last longer than their competitors.

Two dials. I like using my camera in manual mode, and having a dial for both shutter and aperture is useful. Being able to control a program mode and ISO at the same time, or exposure and ISO, has also come in handy. I'm comfortable with chording on my computer, but not really with my camera. With the other brands I looked at, you need to climb the ladder another rung (in quality and price) before getting two dials.

Vibration correction with every lens, and which can improve with every body generation. That my current lenses will be better stabilized in my next camera is as important to me as that all of my current lenses are stabilized with no additional cost.

Backwards compatibility, and along with it the suggestion that future Pentax bodies will be able to use current glass. I don't trust Nikon or Canon glass to be compatible with their future bodies; I don't trust other companies to even have future bodies. I know that there's no guarantee on either end with Pentax/Hoya, but I think there's a good balance there--especially with Samsung in the picture.

There's also an intangible feeling that I have: Pentax cameras are made to impress out in the field rather than to impress in the showroom. I have no doubt that all professional-level cameras are designed for photography, but other companies' lower end products (where Pentax mostly competes) seem to aim for what consumers think they want rather than what they'll actually use.

I know the past doesn't predict the future, but Pentax seems to have a culture that designs cameras and lenses the way I like them.

07-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #110
Dom

You forgot images quality.

As a pro stock photographer I'm all about image quality and Pentax has it for me the K20D is as good if not better than Canikons best offerings. Weather seals for the price is also a factor and using vintage glass.
07-10-2009, 01:14 AM   #111

Weather sealing, shake reduction, price and just overall quality.
07-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #112
Veteran Member

I chose "other" because there is a multitude of reasons I chose Pentax. Certainly the lenses and the feature set and the value for the money. But Pentax has alway just felt right and has been a good photographic tool ever since my LX days. I held off on the DSLR thing till the K10 and skipped the K20 but have moved up to the K7 and just love it. No better APS camera on the market in my opinion. It is the LX of the DSLR age I like it better as a photographic tool then my MZ-S and that is not considering the difference between film and digital.
07-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Ergonomics, Value for money, range of compatible lenses and the fact that I wanted to be "different" rather than going with Nikon or Canon.

07-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #114

I got pentax for its amazing value for price. and because i saw the da40 and it was so sexy.

with the new increases, that reason might be valid anymore.....
07-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #115

Photos: Albums
I've been a fool for Pentax cameras since the K10D but only got enough money to buy one a few months ago, so i went for the K200D. Although i love it, i must admit i've been thinking of selling it and getting an "el cheapo" K20D, which is what i had my eye on all the time... Shame the prices didn't drop sooner
07-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #116
Veteran Member

I bought an ME Super back in the 1980s when I was young, because I liked the size and ergonimics. Since then it's been easier to upgrade than to switch systems. For me, it's as simple as that. If I ever feel limited by my Pentax gear, I will consider changing brands. But that hasn't happened yet.
07-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #117
Veteran Member

After shooting with Pentax for more than four decades, I've acquired a slew of M42 & Kmount lenses..... Consequently, for me the choice was a no-brainer.
Why did I buy a Pentax DSLR? Because they wouldn't give me one for free.
07-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #118
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I purchased the K2000 because I have 8 old k mount manual lenses, The SR is in the body and works on all my lenses, And then there was the price
07-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #119

1. When I search for a new DSLR, the shop was doing 50% sale on penatx camera

2. User friendly interface. This is a pretty good feature of penatx cameras. I tried D70 at that moment but messing with settings scared me. An user friendly interface is important for me as I can pay more attention to the scenario, not the camera.

3. Penatx do take their lens seriously. DA prime series are always impressing me.

4. Colour is unbeatable. Personally I hate the colour by Canon. You won't get a blue sky unless you set the WB precisely. For penatx DSLR, auto WB is enough for most outdoor situation.

Being a new pentaxian (~1yr), I do like this brand and its DSLR gives great pleasure to me
07-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #120
Site Supporter

I had a couple of bags full of legacy lenses. Then, over the last four years, I've ended up buying 10 DA and 1 DFA lens for my kit. Frankly, given the money I've spent, I'm not sure I would "go Pentax" were I to do it over, but - hey - it's a hobby, I'm having fun . . . . . . . thus, so what?

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 07-11-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: The SHIFT key baffles me at times.