Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why did you buy a Pentax DSLR?

Out of all the manufactures of digital cameras, why did you choose pentax?
I have to admit, before I saw a preview for the K10D, Canon EOS 30 was what I really wanted to get.
Also, I like going off the "beaten track" meaning, if I can find something that is just as good as the "big boys" I will buy it.

And you?

Was it price?

A loyal follower?

Had lots of lenses from older SLR's?

Just wanted something different?

thanks

10-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

First of all, I've greatly enjoyed using the classic Pentax bodies and lenses, and they displayed superior quality than those of Canon.

The reason I chose Pentax DSLRs, though, was that they were more compact that all the others- both the lenses and the bodies were smaller and lighter. I also found everything to be sharper, and since I already had a plethora of lenses, I decided to try Pentax.

Personally, I now think that Pentax DSLRs beat all others in their class

BTW, I think you should add a few more options to the poll

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-31-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Other reasons.

Before my trip to Australia I had two weeks to get digital camera. I used Nikon SLR until that, so I discarded P&S as an option. I wanted DSLR.

I didn't like Canon 350D at all: cheap plastic, uncomfortable to hold in hand.

Canon 20D was too expensive for me.

Nikon D50 had not enough features for me (no DOF preview, no mirror lock-up)

Nikod D70s: I wanted to get this, but they were out of stock at the moment in Lithuania.

So, I bought Pentax *ist DS.

After all it seems not a bad choice at all.
10-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was torn between loyal Pentax follower and other, but I picked other since I have other non-Pentax cameras (including the dreaded Canon, which I also love). The main reason I picked Pentax is because it just feels "right" in my hand.

10-31-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

1. A friend had one and liked it.

2. There's a local dealer who stocks Pentax, takes the product seriously, and has salesfolk who know what they are talking about.

3. I liked the prospect of finding nice old glass all sorts of places for not tons of money, ebay etc.

4. Price matters, sure.

5. I friggin' hate feeling like a sheep. Nikon/Canon are like the Windows/Mac of the DSLR world, and as a Linux user there's hardly anything I hate more than the widespread and rather ignorant notion that those are the only things worth using, so the "rebel" in me (sorry Canon for appropriating your trademark) was strongly drawn to alternatives, of which Pentax seemed the best move. That's a dubious reason, but we all have our hangups, and I gotta be me.

I've no regrets, for what it's worth.
10-31-2006, 05:11 PM   #6

Canon felt too small in my hands. The screen was too small.

Nikon D50 was great, but I wanted SR. (Otherwise, this was a very close second on my list)

Sony was too expensive for me.

Olympus - it seemed expensive for what I would be getting in return.

Minolta - who? I looked and then discovered they were gone.

Pentax - I had no collection of lenses, but knew that the SR feature and a supply of lenses out there would suit my needs for time to come.
10-31-2006, 06:14 PM   #7

1. Price
2. Shake reduction
3. AA battery, SD card slots
4. (found out after i bought it ) backwards compat & semi-automation of vintage lenses with features like SR & focus confirm...

10-31-2006, 06:57 PM   #8

I've been very happy with my two MX bdies with winders, and I have lenses that I'd hate to give up. The *st D takes my old lenses, and there are some very good new lenses coming up.

It was a no-brainer.
10-31-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Ed in GA

My previous experience with Pentax cameras was the greatest reason to buy a Pentax DSLR.

When it became evident that the Fuji S3000 was not adequate for my photography needs, I went shopping. Pentax was at the top of my list.
10-31-2006, 07:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

logical layout

I had tried many digital cameras, both P&S and DSLR. All made me want to keep shooting my film cameras. I have Olympus Om, Pentax LX, Pentax 6X7, Leica rangefinders, and Canon 10S. I don't need many features on my cameras.
1. Spot meter
2. cable release
3. Manual and aperture priority
4. TTL flash
5. Depth of field preview
6. Interchangable lenses
7. Mirror lock up
8. Exposure compensation
With digital you get a few other extras that I wouldn't want to be without.
1. Lcd review of pic
2. Histogram & blinking highlight
3. Ability to adjust white balance
4. Ability to magnify pic on review
5. Ability to delete
Of the first 8 features the Pentax DS was the only one that had them all. It was also the only camera I was comfortable with. Both ergonomically and ease of use. Pentax menus make the other cameras pale in comparision. The menus are straight forward and easy to use. They are arranged like people think. I teach photo classes and see all the brands people are shooting. The Pentax users usually have an easier time of it than the others. They don't have to dive into the IB every 5 min.
The Pentax was the first digital that I actually wanted to buy. I taught the digital camera class a year before actually buying a digital camera. The camera just gets out of the way and lets you take pictures. I also own the Olympus E300 with 14-45 and 40-150 lens. It is still harder to use.
thanks
barondla
10-31-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
Inactive Account

the shake reduction was the real dealbreaker. I also started with a k1000 so I had that brand loyalty defect. Plus I am always one to take the road less traveled.
10-31-2006, 08:02 PM   #12

The number one reason I bought a K100D? Best color and clarity right out of the box. Trust me, I shopped Used SD cards, which I had. Was light weight and had image stabilization in the body, rather than paying for it lens by lens. Was leery of the battery system, but I get an astounding number of shots out of them. Very happy camper who is totally new to Pentax anything.
10-31-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It felt great in my hand the first time I picked one up. It is easy to use, layout of controls was where I wanted them to be. Overall I'm very happy with my choice, and wouldn't change...just look forward to better thing ahead.
Long live Pentax. ;>)
10-31-2006, 09:34 PM   #14

When I look at digital cameras, I thought of changing brands to Nikon but found that the Nikon d70 had the same electronics as the Pentax ds.
So I bought the ds as I could use some of the other pentax lens with this camera. I can say that during the past 14 months I produced some great shots. I have also bought some sigma ex lens now which makes life very interesting.

I'm thinking of updating and buy the k10d,
11-01-2006, 02:01 AM   #15
ooh

excellent color and high C/P valuu