Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2006, 02:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other - size, as against the the other 2, the 300D and D70 of the time.
Also it had DOF preview which I think the others didn't?

I owned a Nikon SLR at the time.

and AA batteries.

Last edited by Arpe; 11-01-2006 at 04:26 PM. Reason: I forgot about the battery thing!
11-01-2006, 02:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens quailty and size... Much better bang for buck than c/n
11-01-2006, 04:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

At first Rebel XT was my favorite but then I bought a *Ist DS and here's why:
Wiewfinder
AA batteries
The way it feels in my hands
ISO 3200 (even thou I rarely use it now)
Price

Later on I figured I can use any old lens

If KonicMinolta 5D was out sooner, I'd probably go for it. Now I'm happy I didn't.
11-01-2006, 04:27 AM   #19
Inactive Account

For me I was a Pentax user for 40 years and I found no reason to switch. Pentax has always made great lenses and even though the other name brands say their cameras and optics are better they haven't proved it to me yet.

Pentax has made some of thefinest cameras also to name some (Oh no) film cameras the LX, the K1000 (both workhorses) The ME, and MX also some very good cameras. Pentax Quality has always been a built in featureand the reliability of the product being able to pick it up and not have to worry about anything going wrong.

The picture quality of the ist D's and the ease of handling and the feel of the cameras them selves is one of the biggest reasons. Now the SR and faster AF speeds the noise reduction and the support from Pentax is super.

For me there has never been a reason to switch. I have used both C&N camers and always found the quality good but lacking in many ways. Pentax has always been there and at a price you can afford. You don't pay for the name just the quality the name produces.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

11-01-2006, 09:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Price attracted my attention and value got me to buy.

I saw the $100 rebate on the *istDL at the beginning of summer and looked into it. What I saw was a nice, entry level dSLR for under $400. Considering that I had just spent more than that on a new Kodak P&S, and still wasn't satisfied, I decided to sell the Kodak and buy the Pentax. Best photography decision I've ever made! After 6 weeks of learning/using the DL, I sold the body for more than I paid for the kit (!) and bought the K100D body. I'm now set.

I'm not qualified to say Pentax is the best or some of the others are the best (personally, I think they are all fine cameras), but Pentax is certainly the best value out there, given that basically any Pentax lens will work with these cameras, and now they're all image-stabilized.

I'm having more fun taking pictures now than I've ever had, and I've owned digital cameras since 1997, including Nikon and Canon.

I still have my Canon S1, which is my "camcorder", and my wife has a nice Kodak p&s that's really pocketable. But, the Pentax goes with me pretty much everywhere.
11-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Other Reason:
Screw Mount and K Mount lens
11-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Main factor is that pentax users are more friendly (yeah it is definitely true)

2nd, pentax limited lenses blew me away totally

3rd, lighter than any other brands and easy to use during travel, hiking or just walk around during casual times

I still use canon stuff mainly L primes ... not a die hard for that brand. Just chose the system long time ago. I love pentax and use this sytem too.

LBA for pentax lenses very soon when i visit stores overseas ... hehe

11-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Other: Because you can use old lenses. Not that mine are anything to shout about, but I just liked the idea of being able to use them, particularly the Tokina macro which is my only really nice lens. I was feeling guilty for having bought it and then hardly used it because I was getting sick of the expense of film and processing. Plus I love manual lenses, they just feel good! And I'm a bit of a Luddite. That's a bit oxymoronic, isn't it, a Luddite with a digital SLR?

There were a few other considerations, too, so here they all are in order of importance:
1. Compatability with old lenses.
2. The Pentax reputation (my much abused K1000 still works).
3. Price.
4. The feel - it fits my hand, it feels solid.
5. Everything else about it: AA batteries, small but sturdy, viewfinder, easy to use... I could go on and on!

This is all separate from the digital consideration, getting free of film and processing and getting instant feedback. Wonderful!

Julie
11-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Price was one reason. But the MAIN reason was, that Pentax kept the K Mount and allowed the use of old manual lenses.

I used to be a Nikon guy during film SLR times, but now I found the light!
11-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #25

had no other choice really

lets see there was the:
K1000 in 1980 or so then the SF1 in 1990 or so soon followed by the two MX's ME Super and a KX in there somewhere along with all the lenses so it was just a mater of time till i got to the DL but soon it will be time for the K100 or 10
11-02-2006, 03:32 PM   #26
Inactive Account

When It was Time To Get My DSLR. I looked at them all. I Boiled it down to just to the DS and the D70. To me the DS just plain felt more comfortable to hold. I also liked the viewfinder brightness of the Pentax better. And as a bonus I could use all my pentax lenses that I had from my ME days.

BK
11-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Two reasons:

Shake reduction in the K100D

and

the ability to use my old M42 lenses.
11-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #28

Other: Every Pentax lens ever ever works on it.
11-07-2006, 06:59 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Size was important. Decent lenses on the cheap.
I never cared for the "color out of the box" thing I see people mention here. I didn't buy a dSLR to use it as a P&S but something giving a good material for editing.
The other thing people often mention about the camera being able to use all old lenses is also strange to me. Screw mount lenses fits jst as fine to a Canon or Nikon. In fact Pentax lenses can be used with Canon but not the other way round. In some ways Pentax has the smallest choice of lenses.

Last edited by Jonas B; 11-07-2006 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelling...
11-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K mount

I had absolutely no pentax products but a collection of other brand K Mount lenses and accessories for my Cosina CT7 and a Ricoh KR10 Super.

Choice was simple. Didn't even compare with any other brands.

But since purchasing my *ist D back in July '04 I have also accrued several pentax film bodies, lenses and accessories.