Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #136
Damn Brit

Because they don't make microwaves.

Luckily for me and Pentax, at about the same time I started doing my research, the K10D was announced. The rest is history, I've never regretted it.

07-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #137
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Dad had a Pentax when I was young (Spotmatic F - which I have now). He let me use it a few times even though it was "the expensive camera". Got into Photography in High School a little, did some darkroom work, but I was using a Minolta I bought from a buddy of mine. Sold it after high school and didn't do much photography until my wife and I found out we were pregnant. Then I went through al the crap P&S cameras I could afford, never really being satisfied with any of them. On a trip to New Jersey (I know - who spends their vacation in New Jersey) we were visiting relatives of my wife's. My wife's cousin married a police officer, he was a Forensic Scenes of Crime Detective. He had some AMAZING photo equipment and access to a fully stocked darkroom where he would process crime scene photos himself. That way in court he could testify as to the legitimacy of the image the judge/jury was viewing of the crime scene. I saw some gruesome photos, but I was really impressed by the equipment and the technical aspects, and it brought back the high school memories of the photography course.

My wife's cousin had a Pentax Optio S and I was amazed at the size of this camera - it was so small. We visited Ground Zero (quite frankly a life changing experience) and he was walking around with this small camera the size of a pack of cards, while I was hauling around a Sony Mavica - it was like a brick (but I still have my photos). I convinced my wife we needed a new smaller camera (which she had heard again and again. It had to be the Pentax Optio S so it would be nice and small. We got one. We were impressed with the quality, the size, the whole package - except the shutter lag. I said that it really could only be solved with a DSLR.

To navigate the huge sea of DSLR's I really just picked Pentax as my brand and started investigating their line. Figured I could afford their "latest" K10D, so found a place in Florida on the internet that had a good deal. On our vacation I went there and picked one up. When the K20D came out, I figured it was a good excuse for me to give my wife the K10D and get the K20D for myself - been working well since. Fortunately she didn't get LBA - I did.
07-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #138

First DSLR ever was K200D body and solely based on price... I looked at the range of lens I would want from all brands and tallied their price with criteria being wanted image stabilisation. Pentax system consistently came out on top as being best value for money at the time (mid last year) - with Nikon/Canon system costing around 55-85% more for an equivalent system with image stabilisation. In body stabilisation was another deciding factor

Even with current pentax price hikes, it still ends up cheaper in terms of total cost of ownership. For me I'm happy to continue with Pentax system with K-7 body

After using K200D for over 14 months now, love the size and weight. K20D I wasn't keen on due to size and weight, so K-7 came just at the right time
07-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #139
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Darius4522 Quote

Still wondering if I will stick with the Pentax, however....as lenses are not as easy to get as those for Nikon and Canon.
What do you mean by lenses not easy to get? Don't you have any access to adorama.com or bhphotovideo.com?

Best wishes.
Can.

07-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
Wow, you get really worked up over this stuff don't you? All I said was that I personally like the look of the pentax images better. I never suggested or implied anything beyond that. You may want to cut back on the coffee, Red Bull or whatever!
I have used both brands extensively and I, me, personally like one over the other. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
Sorry, in no way did I mean to pick a fight with you. Yes, I came off a bit strong... and no, I wasn't even drinking coffee or Redbull at the time.

My only excuse is that, I frequent both the Canon and Pentax forums, and sometimes I just get a little (um... a lot) annoyed with all the negative talk about non-Pentax cameras or lenses in this forum. Why is this talk so prevalent here?

This is called a "Friendly Pentax Discussion Community". In contrast, Canon forum members tend to be either indifferent or friendly toward non-Canon products, and putting down Pentax product seems quite rare.

However, as I previously stated, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Sorry for the pouncing!
07-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Darius4522 Quote
Still wondering if I will stick with the Pentax, however....as lenses are not as easy to get as those for Nikon and Canon.
It's not the selection of lenses available. Certainly, for any given camera body, Pentax has far more lenses available. But I agree, unless you don't like purchasing online, finding them locally may be a problem in all but the largest cities.

What concerns me most about Pentax is the lack of support by 3rd party manufacturers. But this won't change so long as Pentax's market penetration remains far below the big two.
07-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #142

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Sorry, in no way did I mean to pick a fight with you. Yes, I came off a bit strong... and no, I wasn't even drinking coffee or Redbull at the time.

My only excuse is that, I frequent both the Canon and Pentax forums, and sometimes I just get a little (um... a lot) annoyed with all the negative talk about non-Pentax cameras or lenses in this forum. Why is this talk so prevalent here?

This is called a "Friendly Pentax Discussion Community". In contrast, Canon forum members tend to be either indifferent or friendly toward non-Canon products, and putting down Pentax product seems quite rare.

However, as I previously stated, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Sorry for the pouncing!
No worries, and it wasn't my intent to slam Canon at all. Like I said I shot Canon and Pentax for a long time but it got expensive buying gear for 2 systems. I sold off all my Canon gear and stuck with Pentax because overall I like the results I get with Pentax better. I wish I could merge the 2 together and make a "Pentanon" or something...there are features about each that I really like.

07-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #143
graphicgr8s

After looking at a Canon body only at $6,000 or more then adding lenses it made sense to get the K10 nd use all of my old school film lenses. You need to add "Bang for the buck" to your poll. That's what I feel pentax gives me. None of my clients really care about my equipment. But they love the final product they get. And for how much I charge that's all that matters.
07-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
After looking at a Canon body only at $6,000 or more then adding lenses it made sense to get the K10 nd use all of my old school film lenses. You need to add "Bang for the buck" to your poll. That's what I feel pentax gives me. None of my clients really care about my equipment. But they love the final product they get. And for how much I charge that's all that matters.
Before too many people misunderstand me.... I have to agree with your "bang for the buck" comment.

For previously stated reasons... the K7 may be a huge let down and I may switch to Canon for professional and hobbyist reasons. However, I hate the fact that in order to have SR, I must spend a lot more money on every lens.

I very much like having SR on any lens I attach to the K20D.
07-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #145

inherent vs fixable deficiencies of a system

inherent, unfixable deficiency: on-lens IS/VR only.

fixable deficiencies: high ISO IQ, AF speed, DR, responsiveness, FPS, metering, etc.

Therefore, I stick with Pentax. In time, the fixable deficiencies would be fixed/have already been fixed, if you fast forward 5 years we may even hopefully see a FF version of K-7 with everything improved again.

I bet 5 years from now Canikon will still sing praises to their lens-only stabilisation systems, or, in case of Canon, it may just ditch the EOS mount and go for something else. History will repeat itself.
07-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #146
Inactive Account

What Canikon can not but Pentax can give to "me"

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Pentax does not just mean bang for the buck to me. Pentax is giving to "me" 3D look and great color handling. So it's not the camera it is the lens. Affordable great lens.

Only deficiency of the Pentax is more pixels that means smaller print sizes comparing to a, say 24MP camera. I won't get into print sizes between 200-300 dpi at certain MPs.

So. I won't buy any more DA lenses, my future vision is Pentax will have to get into FF 35mm arena., despite their bulky Medium format digital system.

But thats just me, I guess. :ugh:

Bests.
Can.
07-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never seen the "perfect" camera that would make me switch from Pentax, the first of which I bought used in 1961. The "Pentax Look" keeps me with them, although I have strayed to dark side lenses occasionally, to my great disappointment. All Pentax for me!
07-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #148

Main reason: weather seals.

Besides the Nikon and Canon pro series DSLRs, only the D200 had such sealing when I bought my K10D, and the Nikon was selling for about 500$ more.

Second: Pentax lenses WERE cheaper.

Not so much today, as prices have risen to frightening heights in Canada (1300-1400$ for the DA 12-24mm F/4, from 800$, 1600$ for the DA* 50-135mm F/2.8, from 1200$ and so on...)

Third: Best ergonomics in its class, IMHO.

Fourth: built-in Shake Reduction, which is more convenient than expensive IS / VR lenses.

Fifth: already had some Pentax MF glass.

Althoutgh I love Pentax DSLRs, I'm really thinking about going full frame (possible future D700X), or even medium format, since I'm doing less outdoor event photography (hence the weather seals) than before (and more commercial work than before as well).

If the Pentax 645D has an interchangeable digital back, I might go for it. Otherwise, I'll try to get my hands on an used PhaseOne back with a Mamiya MF SLR. With an weather resistant APS-C K-7, it should make a good combo.

Time (and the nature of my next assignements) will tell.
07-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #149
Forum Member

DA Ltd and sensor SR

I'm a long time happy Canon user with a trunk-full of lenses but I'm tired of lugging a heavy kit with me. Compare my EF 85/1.8, EF 50/1.8 & EF 28/1.8 size and weight to the DA 70/2.4 Ltd. DA 40/2.8 Ltd. & DA 21/3.5 Ltd., then add in the bonus of in body Shake Reduction and you have my answer. I'll happily sacrifice the faster aperture in this case.
07-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #150
Forum Member

1. Weather proofing and build quality - I'm a traveler first and a photographer second. Babying a camera would ruin the experience for me. I've already shot in the rain, the jungle humidity and around splashing water. I've also accidentally smashed the body into rocks and tree branches on several occasions. The K10D is tough as hell, I can throw it in the top pouch of my backpack and pull it right out when its time to take a shot (I do however wish it was a bit smaller, oh how I want a K-7!)

2. In-body SR: I don't generally take a tripod hiking or motorcycling, I often dont have the time (or level enough ground) to use one. Being able to use any K-mount lens handheld with acceptable results is great!

3. Value: Canon and Nikon's alternatives in the price range dont work for me. While the performance may be better on C and N cameras (less so now with the K-7), most of the cameras in my price range are lightweight crap with dumbed down features. The K10D's shooting modes and dual e-dials have done much more for my photographic education than any auto scene mode on a C or N. Also, the availabilty (both new and used) of good quality glass at less-than-outrageous prices is great!

So there you have it! My Pentax is a very useful lifestyle tool and not a photographic phallus extension to show off to other enthusiasts (no offense).