Good Optics 40038.42%
Hate the main stream big brands like canon and nikon 19118.35%
Just do, that's all 625.96%
Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #196
Banned

My first SLR was the Canon Pellix QL with 58mm F1.2 in 1966 and in 1974 I purchased the Pentax 6x7 system and Pentax 35mm SLRs. Since then all my SLR/DSLRs have been Pentax.

08-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #197

Other

In camera shake reduction on the K10D
08-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #198
Kei

Photos: Gallery
After using a few P&S and a "bridge" model; I know my next camera can only be a dslr. After trying the entry level models the big 2 and Sony were crossed off my list; I don't like the make quality/ergonomics/both.

Then comes to Pentax, even tho I have no legacy body/lens with the brand previously; the idea of using all kinds of old lens on a spanking new dslr is a very neat idea. I always think that photography is not all about the electronics; so I was pulled toward by the "unknown" world of old lens. Plus I thought the in-body SR will save me lots of money and headache in future lens selection.

Looking back after 1 year of getting the K200d, I could have spend just as much money in other brands but I won't have as much fun as with Pentax.
08-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #199
Veteran Member

I was a commercial alaska fisherman for one season. During that time, I had been shooting on a POS film point and shoot with a light leak that my dad sent with me so that I could bring him back some images. I shot about 40 rolls of film that summer and sent off the photos across America during the time. Strangely, all of the photos made it back to me.

Anyway, when I got off of the boat, I had either fallen in love with Alaska or photography, I don't know. I took my big *ss fisherman's paycheck and went to the camera shop and I said "Gimme da best one ya got!".

He handed me the ONLY one he had (its Alaska, folks, not camera central)....it was an ist*D.

...then I asked for film!! haha

08-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #200
Veteran Member

P.S. I voted 'other'
08-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #201

New to the flock

I've just purchase a Pentax for the first time for some very specific reasons. First, I wanted a good selection of high-quality, compact prime lenses and a camera with a high build quality but in a small package. I had a closet full of big, heavy pro-level glass that stayed in the closet because it was so darned heavy! I can't take pictures if it isn't with me. I looked around at smaller options but they all sported pentamirrors which was a dealbreaker for me. I started checking out the amazing limited primes that Pentax was developing and then started reading about in-body stabilization and it really piqued my curiosity. I can now say that I'm very happy with my choice to switch to Pentax and I have no plans on going back. As long as Pentax continues to focus on regular photographers and keeps their prices lower than the competition, I'll stay on board. They start producing plastic fantastic junk and I'll probably end up switching to an Leica or something.
08-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #202
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old thread.

The poll's missing handling, ergonomics, and build quality. Also, weathersealing.

08-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What turned me to Pentax was what turned me away from Canokians when I researched them first. I just didn't like the business model of, or see the cost-effectiveness of repeating image stabilization in each copy of their IS/VR lenses. So my choices were Pentax and Olympus (didn't like the plastic feel of Sony dSLRs). The K20D just felt right at the photo shop.

Then of course, Pentax's history, weather-resistance features, rugged body, DA* lens line-up (don't have any yet), compatibility with all K-mount lenses, and the relatively affordable (at that time) FA Ltd lens line-up helped me with my decision.

My friends and family are constantly blown away by the color-rich and high quality photos my K20D/*ist DS have produced at family and sports events, and are a regular reminder that I have not made a bad decision.
08-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #204
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax DSLRs allow me to use lenses that I bought for my Spotmatic in 1972. I have used three of these lenses on my K200 and K20D with stunning results. Any company that opposes the principle of "planned obsolescence" gets my buck every time. Q.E.D.

Last edited by snofox; 08-26-2009 at 08:42 PM.
08-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #205

For me it was the combination of weather sealing (K200D), in camera SR, and price. Backwards lens compatibility didn't hurt either.
08-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #206

my first dslr, and it will be the K7 (when will the postman give my package??).
I first wanted to go for a Nikon D5000 or D90. Even started a thread on that on another forum. But then in some post, someone talked about Pentax.. I said, hey, when I was a kid, I remember using a Pentax, and I rather liked it (even if it wasn't like the nikon F1 of my uncle).

Took a look at the K20.. good camera, but no video. This can come in handy for family events and I don't want to buy a camera especially for video. Plus, I prefer photos, so why waste money with a video cam? Anyway... (But still, video is a plus.)

Then I saw a nice camera and, I don't know how, I felt in love with it ^^ The K7.
Video or not, for me it was better than the D90, especially the WR. I like nature photos and with the luck that I have, I know anything can happen to me, so WR is a must for me.

Also, there are a lot of lenses (especially old ones) that can fit on the k-mount.
Far more easier to find some cheap old lens for Pentax than for Nikon.

One minus for me: i found an Exakta converter to every other brand, but not to K-mount.
And I doubt if using 2 adapters is a wise choice for IQ.

Price? Euh... no. K7 is rather expensive, even if I could get hands on a new 2 WR lens kit for 1299€. A bit more compared to D90 but heck, the Pentax seems more promising than the D90 (to me though).

Another few reasons: ergonomics, IS and noise (but this one is more camera specific)

(out of topic, but why not K20? : Dust removal system).
08-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's funny but th e main reason seems to be missing from the poll but is in the OPs list of reasons.

Had lots of pentax lenses.

I selected loyal follower and other because I was not sure whether loyal follower was the same as having lots of lenses. (one of my bodies is, after all a Ricoh)
08-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #208
Veteran Member

I had made up my mind to buy a Nikon D80, and the day before I picked it up, I took a K10D in my hand and I was sold in the first 2 seconds. It just felt right, was a better value, weather sealing, better viewfinder, same price. Optics wasn't a factor in my decision since Nikon has more than enough good glass, albeit quite expensive, which I didn't consider at the time. Canon... I couldn't and still can't stand its humongous size. The lenses are huge ! Most of Pentax glass is probably 1/2 the size of comparable Canon glass. So in the end, since I wasn't buying into a "system", Pentax was the much better value and I never regretted my choice one nano second.
08-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #209
Forum Member

Old thread, but a good one. My answer would be pretty much "all of the above"and more. Value for the money, a general inclination toward the underdog/something different than what everybody else has, past history with Pentax cameras, availability of quality lenses, in-camera stabilization, etc.
08-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #210

I voted other. My first camera was a Kodak P880, which isnt that bad of a camera, one of the "high end" point and shoots.

But i realized I wanted an SLR after using that camera for a couple of years. So off began to learn all the information in the confusing market of Digital SLR cameras. I looked at the Canon Rebel XSi, and the Nikon D60 and D5000, the Olympus, the Sony, etc. After i nearly decided on an XSi. I remembered Pentax. So I took a look at their cameras, and read/watched reviews. I came upon the K200, and the camera was different than the others. It didn't have all the Live View and 14 MP sensor like some of the other cameras. Instead it had weather sealing, very high build quality, and even a second LCD like higher end cameras. I hold things like build quality very high. I dont like something unless it feels good in my hands. I bought the K200. Strangely, looking at all the other Entry level dSLRs the K200 is the only one with a second LCD for displaying your info. But now I couldn't imagine not having that.