Other.. please specify 23722.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #271

1) Compatibility with my existing lenses
2) The flexibility that comes with AA batteries

12-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #272

Photos: Gallery
Before buying a Pentax camera, I had a Nikon D700. The Nikon created 2 problems I wasn't aware of before buying the camera: Nikon had changed the colours from the D70S I had before and also, its greater weight was more disturbing then I initially thought it will.
As a result, I decided to search for a lighter camera, which would give me better JPG colours and would also be cheap enough so that i could afford first class optics.
The decision was easy, I bought a Pentax K7, together with 2 lenses: A DA* 16-50 and a DA 55-300 (because the tele end is far less importent to me than the wide one). This equipment, so far, fullfils most of my photographic needs. My growing LBA will try to fulfill the rest :-)
12-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #273
Forum Member

Have been loyal to Pentax since my "Spotmatic" days. Not particularly comfortable with following the crowd to Nikon and Canon when I decided to upgrade at retirement....to this day I get irked when I note the absence of Pentax product on some camera/ebay sites. Have purchased 7 'used' F/FA/DA lenses including 2 primes over past year for my K10D. Still very comfortable with my decision to stay with Pentax and with the K10D in particular. Will upgrade to K7 once the price comes down under $1K and I will already have some great glass on hand.
12-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #274
Inactive Account

I was a hobby shooter with a k1000, ME Super and eventually a couple of LX bodies. I put the hobby aside for a good number of years as the daughter was a professional with a small quality portrait studio in a mall doing children on film. She was a skilled retoucher, the old fashioned version. She took all the family pics. Mall rent and kids forced a change about the time quality digital was becoming almost affordable. The processing cost and delays etc really complicated a fast turn around on a quality film product. We all retired from photography. I eventually really retired and started looking at some of the good glass I still had. A friend suggested I look into a K7. I wasn't sure, kicked the idea around and found this neat site and bought a used K20D here. Now I just have to fight the dreaded lens and gadget disease. I guess I am a loyal Pentaxian that took a sabbatical. I love the LXs but the K20, as I am learning about it, is really nice. AThis is a good place to thank all the techy contributors and the mods. I have gained so much from this site.

12-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #275

Photos: Albums
Those lovely pancakes sold me.
12-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #276

because of its Limited DA/FA lens (colours, sharpness, contrast, small-size etc).
12-11-2009, 01:31 AM   #277

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My photography guru was using Pentax

12-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #278

Really great option

Except some good M42 lenses I had no lens for Pentax. M42 lenses can be used through an adapter on Canons and some other brands as well. So lenses was not my reason. I used old great Chinon film cameras and thought the market was not good enough for me (high prices, low performance) until The K10D appeared. I read everything I found about it and very soon was confident that it is the best camera for me. Three years of usage has proved that I chose right. Now I love Pentax and only hope that they release a nice compact FF body as well.
12-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #279
Closed Account

I bought the K100D as my first DSLR back in 2006. I was reading magazines and reviews on the internet and everyone was raving about the K100D, but the thing that really got me to make the decision was how good it felt. Nikon and Canon cameras in the same price range were way more cheap feeling when holding them. The K100D felt solid and professional though it was an entry-level camera.

I have since then upgraded to the K7 wich I really like. I was reading a lot on this forum before my purchase and was of course concerned with the high ISO noise and stuff that everyone is complaining about, and I agree, the KX looks much better at high ISO but I think I would rarely use that camera if i owned it. I want two input dials and I want to be able to change things like metering and focusing modes fast without having to enter menus and looking at the LCD.

I'm actually quite surprised that some of you seemingly advanced photographers choose the KX over the K7. Is high ISO performance all you care about? Or is it so important that you rate that higher than having two input dials, top LCD and dedicated buttons for most of the functions. I know that theres the price factor as well of course.
12-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #280
Inactive Account

Grew up with a Nikon film, 2 years ago with Cannon DSLR and all the so called L lens. Very dissapointed with them as I was told by Canon that I got lemons! So I thought L stood for LOUSY! Did my research and found the truth. It was really a choice between a Mercendes Benz and a BMW, i simply bought a VOLVO!!! Awsome !!!
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #281
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mindglow Quote
I bought the K100D as my first DSLR back in 2006. I was reading magazines and reviews on the internet and everyone was raving about the K100D, but the thing that really got me to make the decision was how good it felt. Nikon and Canon cameras in the same price range were way more cheap feeling when holding them. The K100D felt solid and professional though it was an entry-level camera.

I have since then upgraded to the K7 wich I really like. I was reading a lot on this forum before my purchase and was of course concerned with the high ISO noise and stuff that everyone is complaining about, and I agree, the KX looks much better at high ISO but I think I would rarely use that camera if i owned it. I want two input dials and I want to be able to change things like metering and focusing modes fast without having to enter menus and looking at the LCD.

I'm actually quite surprised that some of you seemingly advanced photographers choose the KX over the K7. Is high ISO performance all you care about? Or is it so important that you rate that higher than having two input dials, top LCD and dedicated buttons for most of the functions. I know that theres the price factor as well of course.
where did you base this assumption? if you are going to look at some of the poll here concerning dslr preference, people in general would choose the K-7 over the k-x. the major factor is the price. if the k-x was priced at 1,200 the same with the K-7, people would get the K-7. if the K-7 was priced around 650 the same price as the k-x, the people would definitely get the K-7. a better High-ISO performance is a great addition, but it is not everything that people are looking for. the fact is, you would be shooting 80%(minimum) of the time in daylight or with a lightsource (lighting setup, flash/strobist, indoor lighting) or use bulb or long exposure during night shots. High ISO is usable in certain situations where you need to get a shot off immediately or real fast, but it doesn't mean you need to use it everytime. I think it wouldn't even make sense to shoot above ISO 400 for the entire sunny/cloudy day. use High ISO where it really counts (lowlight and nighttime).

regarding the concern about High ISO performance of the K-7, it does just fine even at ISO 3200, with a bit of Noise cleaning during RAW post-processing and pulling exposure. the push or pull exposure (I prefer pull) is a great trick in eliminating or minimizing Noise, thus improving image to a great extent. I suggest that you read some of the threads regarding it here.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 12-11-2009 at 01:23 PM.
12-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took photography my senior year in high school in 1988 and learned on a K1000, and loved it. So I bought one. Then I picked up an ME Super at a yard sale in '92 for $25 and fell in love with that camera. And I was slowly growing a collection of Pentax lenses to go with them. In 2001 I picked up a ZX-50 (only Pentax I've regretted, although I do like it for just quick point-n-shooting), and when I was finally ready to move to digital, I elected to go with the K100 because of the SR. And I've never been happier with a camera, so much so that my wife is getting one of her own for Christmas. Most of my lenses are manual, and I love that I didn't have to change any of them to use them with the K100.

So my answer is Loyal Follower, Good Options, Price, and my existing lens collection.
12-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #283
Inactive Account

i was using a nikon initially before i did the switch to pentax.

Reason is because i can get more with lesser money.

So yah, just gotten my k100d 2 weeks ago, and it is serving me well.

I m happy!
12-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #284

- I love the "built like a tank" features, unlike the other camera brands in the same price point.

- Weather sealing is just what the doctor ordered for our Pacific NW weather!

- I have a few Pentax primes from my film days...a definite PLUS!

- It's assembled in the Philippines. Well, I was born there, so I'd do anything to help my brothers out
12-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #285
Inactive Account

I learned on Pentax, and they are built like tanks.

I learned photography on a Pentax MX when I was skipping classes in college to photograph wildlife while hungover.

Nikon and Canon are for harry-homeowner myspace whores