Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K10D AE-L button missing

A little while ago, my K10D dopped on the floor (from my desk). I inspected the camera afterwards and thankfully, everything seemed fine except for a little dent in the UV filter on the kit lens. I had a hard time taking it off, but managed after some effort.

Now it seems that my inspection wasn't thorough enough, because the AE-L button is missing. There's just a neat hole where it used to be.

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to fix this? Would it be an easy fix or would the camera have to be opened up? I would like to imagine just popping a new button in would do the trick.

[edit]
I just tested the button using a small pin that came with my iPhone. It still works, so it's only the plastic bit that's missing.

Last edited by -Mous-; 05-18-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: New information
05-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by -Mous- Quote
A little while ago, my K10D dopped on the floor (from my desk). I inspected the camera afterwards and thankfully, everything seemed fine except for a little dent in the UV filter on the kit lens. I had a hard time taking it off, but managed after some effort.

Now it seems that my inspection wasn't thorough enough, because the AE-L button is missing. There's just a neat hole where it used to be.

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to fix this? Would it be an easy fix or would the camera have to be opened up? I would like to imagine just popping a new button in would do the trick.

[edit]
I just tested the button using a small pin that came with my iPhone. It still works, so it's only the plastic bit that's missing.
I don't know about your situation, but somehow the shake Reduction lever got knocked off of my K10 so I took it in to my local Camera Doctor and it cost me $121.00 to have it fixed. He had to open the camera and install a new switch and lever. Good luck, K10's don't like to be bounced on the floor.

jimH
05-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
I don't know about your situation, but somehow the shake Reduction lever got knocked off of my K10 so I took it in to my local Camera Doctor and it cost me $121.00 to have it fixed. He had to open the camera and install a new switch and lever. Good luck, K10's don't like to be bounced on the floor.

jimH
That price sounds about right. My K20D took a tumble last Dec. and the AE-L button got jammed "in." Had to send it off and they did have to open her up to replace the button. Including shipping, it was right around $120.
05-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #4

That's funny... One day I was walking around shooting and wondered, why the hell is my camera randomly beeping. It was the AE-L button triggering on its own.

I carry my K10D with me everywhere, every day, so some day it must have landed on its shoulder.

I took the camera apart using a step-by-step guide on the internet and was happy to see that all of the buttons are ribbon cables, not stuck on some circuit board. It was a metal dome button that had been caved in.

I tried to pop it back, but it still triggered on its own.. so.. some users may want to close their eyes now. I opened the camera up again and cut the ribbon cable and threw the metal button pad in the trash.

I like it better without it, I tend to street shoot one handed using guess-aim, using my thumb to hit the shutter button. The AE-L button always got in the way of my palm. Glad they moved it on the K-7.

05-19-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm, that's more or less the price I had expected it to be. In my opnion, it's a bit too expensive for "just a button". For me, the AE-L button is not the most critical button on the camera. I guess I'll have to live with it.