Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i know this is an older thread now but just wanted to toss this in...

gx10, iso100 with a DA*50-135 f2.8 f10
d3, iso 200 with a 80-200f2.8 f14

not saying what is what....

just thought it was relevant to the thread.

*Edit*
also just got a new screen that has much better dynamic range than my old one and can notice a few things in some photos that i couldn't see before!

07-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #47
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two smooth captures with two outstanding lenses.
Body won't matter too much at this image size and ISO.
Would matter a little more when more difficult situations arise though (low-light, action/sports)...
07-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #48
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax1952 Quote
You don't have to go to other forums to find Pentax bashers and Canon fanboys. They are right here!
I second that, they are"Trojan Horses".

cheers,

Rene
07-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Pentax make the best primes for SLR's - period!
Canon make the widest range of lenses for SLR's - Period!
Nikon zoom glass is better than Canon L lenses - Period!
Pentax DA* lenses are better than CaNikon Zoom glass for the eqv focal range - Period!
Olympus have the fastest AF of any SLR - Period!
Nikon have the best AF of any SLR - Probably.......
Pentax make the quietest shutter SLR with the K-7 - Period! (have you heard it? it is QUIET!)

My friends who, use the following - EOS 1Dmk3, EOS 1Dsmk3, D300, D700, EOS 40D, EOS 5D, EOS 5Dmk2, E-520 etc etc, grudgingly admit that the IQ of the K20D is excellent, with great colour rendition, detail etc.

So, all makes have their best points, but to dis one make because it is not one of the main two, is pure jealousy. No one SLR make can be the best at everything.....
Me? I appreciate good kit and good lenses, but for me, IQ is most important, so the Pentax, meets my needs, more than the others.

Pentaxian and proud!

post script........The Leica S2 looks the best SLR of all, but the Price!!!!!!! :-(

07-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
gx10, iso100 with a DA*50-135 f2.8 f10
d3, iso 200 with a 80-200f2.8 f14
I agree with Ash that with these images the body doesn't play a big role. It is also difficult to compare the images because they differ a bit (e.g., regarding the focus point, it appears).

Judging from the puppy, I'd say in the first one he thinks "Oh, that's interesting gear" and in the second "Oh no, not Nikon, again".
On second thoughts, I think the puppy on the second image says "Why does he still shoot with a GX10 rather than a K-7?".

BTW, on my laptop screen the background looks uniform. On a slightly better monitor, I can see that the original (cream white) background was partially replaced with a pure white one. On the first one, there is an unattended speck to the left.

Last edited by Class A; 07-19-2009 at 03:30 PM.
07-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
(
I hate to be picky, but I do believe that you left out Leica and Zeiss.

Rob
07-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I hate to be picky, but I do believe that you left out Leica and Zeiss.

Rob
Yeah, I've seen a few threads where people shot a variety of primes back to back on either E-P1 or G1 (where you can use Leica M glass with an adapter). There is a difference. Whether or not a 50/2.0 Summicron is worth $2K is up to the individual. But they are sweet...
07-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Depends on which primes. I'd put the Canon super teles (400mm and up) above just about anything else out there. The 24 tilt/shift is flat out amazing too. (And somebody already pointed out Leica/Zeiss as being pretty high up there as far as primes...)

07-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Pentax make the best primes for SLR's - period!(
I don't know about that, but they make the best primes that I can actually afford. I have 4 DA Limiteds now, and when I use them they feel, for lack of a better term, 'special'. Not necessarily in terms of pure optical performance - they are very good but there are lots of very good lenses out there - but the whole experience of ownership including build quality, craftsmanship, industrial design and uniqueness. There are very few lenses that I would call 'special' that are available for under $1,000 (US), and Pentax makes more of them than anyone else, IMO.
07-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
I don't know about that, but they make the best primes that I can actually afford. I have 4 DA Limiteds now, and when I use them they feel, for lack of a better term, 'special'. Not necessarily in terms of pure optical performance - they are very good but there are lots of very good lenses out there - but the whole experience of ownership including build quality, craftsmanship, industrial design and uniqueness. There are very few lenses that I would call 'special' that are available for under $1,000 (US), and Pentax makes more of them than anyone else, IMO.
I would say that Sigma's 30/1.4 and 50/1.4 are pretty special. The former is a really great "normal" with a lovely look on crop, and the latter is something very special on full frame.

And I think the Canon 135/2 squeaks in just under the $1k mark, and now THERE is a special lens.
07-20-2009, 03:26 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I agree with Ash that with these images the body doesn't play a big role. It is also difficult to compare the images because they differ a bit (e.g., regarding the focus point, it appears).

Judging from the puppy, I'd say in the first one he thinks "Oh, that's interesting gear" and in the second "Oh no, not Nikon, again".
On second thoughts, I think the puppy on the second image says "Why does he still shoot with a GX10 rather than a K-7?".

BTW, on my laptop screen the background looks uniform. On a slightly better monitor, I can see that the original (cream white) background was partially replaced with a pure white one. On the first one, there is an unattended speck to the left.
Yer i was using a 5 year old 32" 720p tv as my pc screen.. so i couldn't notice this either, but i got a new screen now and i can and just did as i posted this but hay i still like the imgs and will edit them better soon

The second one was the gx10 and the first was the d3, i was going to get a k7 but my boss offerd me his old nikon gear for a good price + my old screen broke so im a bit skint atm

as for the focus points well it was a dimly lit room (photo was lit by 3 strobes in manual with radio triggers.. first time using 3 strobes) with a black puppy i was trying to focus on the eyes but even the d3 was having problems there as theres not much contrast between black eyes and black fur

d3 is good but im thinking i should have went with the k7 now lol. ahh well.. ill grab one when they come down in price not exactly in a hurry atm
07-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Yeah, I've seen a few threads where people shot a variety of primes back to back on either E-P1 or G1 (where you can use Leica M glass with an adapter). There is a difference. Whether or not a 50/2.0 Summicron is worth $2K is up to the individual. But they are sweet...
My film camera before the K10D was the Contax G2. I had almost all of the Zeiss G prime lenses. Beeeautifoool. Still, I get better IQ with my Pentax. It's a matter of digital over film. The images are cleaner and so much easier to manipulate.

Rob
07-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
My film camera before the K10D was the Contax G2. I had almost all of the Zeiss G prime lenses. Beeeautifoool. Still, I get better IQ with my Pentax. It's a matter of digital over film. The images are cleaner and so much easier to manipulate.

Rob
I'm not talking digital vs. film. These are people using Leica M glass on digital cameras (u4/3 G1 and E-P1 bodies). When you compare a variety of lenses on these digital bodies you can see a difference. Glass matters...
07-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I'm not talking digital vs. film. These are people using Leica M glass on digital cameras (u4/3 G1 and E-P1 bodies). When you compare a variety of lenses on these digital bodies you can see a difference. Glass matters...

I agree, and I thought it was clear from my post how much I loved my Zeiss prime lenses. Still, I am getting better IQ from my Pentax lenses on a Pentax digital body. I believe that some Zeiss lenses are available in Pentax K mounts, but I have other ways that I would rather spend the money.

Rob