Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

I opened my big mouth again....D300 vs K20d

Ok.. on one of the forums I get on (automotive oriented)

Someone was looking for a great DSLR in the 600-800. range and I suggested as K20d.

As usual I was attacked.

Anyway after some word slinging and fact pushing it finally came down to this:

<---badassgt

Originally Posted by BADASSGT (Post 192421)
Since Victoria is such a Nikon fanboy I'd be willing to put up my K20d against his D300 anyday of the week in an image test. I admit his camera will more than likely take better low light pictures cause of the high ISO range, and I think mine will take it from 100-800. I think the K20d has better color saturation, IQ, and skin tones than most double the cameras current price.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the rules he wants for the image test.

Same picture, same composition.
50mm 1.8 on both cameras.
I'll do that.

Nikon will still win the battle even if my picture looks like horse manure because the name Pentax just gives everyone shivers of disgust on this board.

So, I win.

But wait, let me clarify.
You want an image for image test setting for setting, but are specifying it has to be in the ISO 100 - 800 range because this is where Pentax is optimal?

One shot at ISO 400 and one shot at ISO 1600 and if you're feeling frisky, ISO 3200.

You down babydoll?

And since when does a camera have ****ing IQ? Should require an IQ test to operate the damn things.
Oh and LOL@feelinglikeitsplasticky. You're really dumb. Maybe the callus' from your fingers need to be shaved down from putting up "chingles" all day Puta. It wouldn't feel that bad then.

and then the conditions changed to this:

Aperture priority,
f/1.8 and f/8

Same ISO in 3 ranges:
400/1600/3200

All neutral settings. No saturation bump, no contrast or sharpness bump.
White balance = Auto

I managed to get ISO 200 in there, but he didn't want 100 cause 200 is a D300 native?

Anyway.. I said a D300 feels cheap and plasticky for the price, and that Limited and * glass was better than L glass and top shelf Nikon stuff...

I may have been tooting my horn a little loud and I don't usually get caught up in this..but man every where I go people associate Pentax with Junk. Basically saying Pentax are the Hyundai's of the Photog world.

I'm too much of a Pentax fanboy

Do the test parameters seem fair?

Pentax should hire me cause I push it everywhere I go or when someone asks...I think I am their most dedicated brand loyalist. I'm like this with everything.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 07-28-2017 at 05:11 AM. Reason: remove swearing
05-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you should be allowed to tweak the sharpness and contrast since the factory settings most likely are based on two different philosophies.

I attended a photo class some one and a half years ago and there were two Pentaxes - mine and my sons. Anyway, there was nothing but respect for the brand, which only increased as we got to show our results. The sole Nikon shooter used to shoot fiilm with an LX (and still used that camera for film work). One of the four or five Canon guys used a Pentax 645 for his medium format work.

Pentax is not as unknown as some think, in particular not amongst those photogs who are old enough to have had no other option than to use film!
05-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You guys are weird
You didn't define the criteria for comparison. Are you printing? Are you just going to do 100% crops? Are you doing web resized images? Are you comparing detail or color? You didn't specify sharpening defaults. You didn't specify NR defaults :-P

Most images are PP'd heavily nowadays and in most cases, it really doesn't matter which brand you use as long as you don't stick crap lenses on it...you'll resize small enough that they pretty much look the same except for PPing differences...
MHO of course
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxperson Quote
Ok.. on one of the forums I get on (automotive oriented)

Someone was looking for a great DSLR in the 600-800. range and I suggested as K20d.

As usual I was attacked.

Anyway after some word slinging and fact pushing it finally came down to this:

<---badassgt

Originally Posted by BADASSGT (Post 192421)
Since Victoria is such a Nikon fanboy I'd be willing to put up my K20d against his D300 anyday of the week in an image test. I admit his camera will more than likely take better low light pictures cause of the high ISO range, and I think mine will take it from 100-800. I think the K20d has better color saturation, IQ, and skin tones than most double the cameras current price.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the rules he wants for the image test.

Same picture, same composition.
50mm 1.8 on both cameras.
I'll do that.

Nikon will still win the battle even if my picture looks like horse shit because the name Pentax just gives everyone shivers of disgust on this board.

So, I win.

But wait, let me clarify.
You want an image for image test setting for setting, but are specifying it has to be in the ISO 100 - 800 range because this is where Pentax is optimal?

One shot at ISO 400 and one shot at ISO 1600 and if you're feeling frisky, ISO 3200.

You down babydoll?

And since when does a camera have ****ing IQ? Should require an IQ test to operate the damn things.
Oh and LOL@feelinglikeitsplasticky. You're really dumb. Maybe the callus' from your fingers need to be shaved down from putting up "chingles" all day Puta. It wouldn't feel that bad then.

and then the conditions changed to this:

Aperture priority,
f/1.8 and f/8

Same ISO in 3 ranges:
400/1600/3200

All neutral settings. No saturation bump, no contrast or sharpness bump.
White balance = Auto

I managed to get ISO 200 in there, but he didn't want 100 cause 200 is a D300 native?

Anyway.. I said a D300 feels cheap and plasticky for the price, and that Limited and * glass was better than L glass and top shelf Nikon stuff...

I may have been tooting my horn a little loud and I don't usually get caught up in this..but man every where I go people associate Pentax with Junk. Basically saying Pentax are the Hyundai's of the Photog world.

I'm too much of a Pentax fanboy

Do the test parameters seem fair?

Pentax should hire me cause I push it everywhere I go or when someone asks...I think I am their most dedicated brand loyalist. I'm like this with everything.
You don't have to go to other forums to find Pentax bashers and Canon fanboys. They are right here!

05-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Anybody who disrespects Pentax just shows he knows JACK SH!T about photography and is probably nothing more than a kid blowing his parent's money on the most expensive gear he can show off.

Don't get into his game as you'll take great, well composend and interesting pictures but lose on the grounds that they have 2.734% more noise (or whatever technical mumbo jumbo he invents on the spot) despite the fact his camera costs nearly 3X as much as yours.

Instead propose a skill shot where both you guys go out with equipment costing exactly the same and who takes the best shots judged blindly (voters don't know who took each picture). It's the only fair game. Then you can judge on artistic merit alone, or technical merit alone, but it's fair because no one is taking a gun to a knife fight.

Actually it'd be quite funny if he'd have to take a lowly D60 or D80 because they're the only Nikon cameras that don't cost more than the K20D.
05-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
So in an image test how will the K20d fare against a D300?

I will be using my FA 50 and my FA43mm Ltd. for the test.
05-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxperson Quote
So in an image test how will the K20d fare against a D300?

I will be using my FA 50 and my FA43mm Ltd. for the test.
The D300 is a great camera, but I think the K20D will come out ahead on image quality. Especially with the 43mm on it!

05-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
Damn Brit

How about adding another rule; Lens must be at least 30 years old.
05-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Wouldn't that be cool.

I don't think the opponent knows that the FA 50mm 1.4 is better than any 50mm Nikon or Canon has EVER MADE...EVER. I am not biased.
05-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #10

That would be funny.

What car site?
05-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
texasracingscene.com

under:

digital mayhem

then

photography.

you must register to sign on.
05-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #12

+1. This would make it much more interesting!
05-18-2009, 11:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sounds like a friendly forum.
05-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

What automotive forum? Link please.
05-19-2009, 04:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you should have held out for an ASA 100 test. If you're gonna do high ASA where the D300 has an edge, then you ought to do as low as possible, too. Then, dunk 'em both in water.