Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
No, I don't have a Pentax heart, I have a cold, black one and I'm not a transit cop.

Checked out your Bay Area pics.

I lived in Stckton for three years.

Mother-in-law lived in San Fran.

Cool pics of the Bay Bridge!

05-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
It is awfully good writing for a guy with a one day history here...
Yours was just the most professional looking of the bunch... .
I'm flattered Gus, thanks for the welcome! I am, hopefully, not high on fumes either... but I am passionate about brand values and am interested to see how people respond to the emotional allure, as well as technical specs, of otherwise functional products. My opinions of the K10/20 provoked understandably-defensive responses from some owners, but, generally, I think Pentaxians are more sensitive than most to the special brand spirit that sets Pentax apart.

I am sorry if you confused me for a Hoya plant! (whatever one of those looks like - my botanical knowledge is limited and I've never seen one in England!)
05-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by charlie_lucas Quote
It is not just about competitive technology (the K10 and K20 delivered well in that area), but about elegant solutions, attractive design, compact dimensions and sheer pleasure of ownership.
You are taking the words out of my mouth. There is something about the K-7 that transcends technical specifications. As stupid as it may sound, but details like the old-school lugs make that camera special.

Not a fan of the new doors, though. Maybe they are not as bad in real life as they look.
05-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't consider my K10D an "oversized brick". I bought that camera because it had a much better feel in my hands than any other DSLR I had picked up prior to that. When it comes to ergonomics, Pentax has always been regarded as one of the best.

05-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
No, I don't have a Pentax heart, I have a cold, black one and I'm not a transit cop.
Your avatar picture supports you there... Takes very little imagination to hear an "Arr, matey - give up yer lenses or you'll be feedin' the fishes..." from ya

Though you'd have to change your moniker. "The Dread Pirate Gary" just doesn't cut it, better take over the Roberts franchise.

Jim
05-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't consider my K-10d a brick, either, but I do get what the OP was saying. This is the first Pentax camera in many years that really got my attention. My favorite Pentax film SLR was the MX--I used to scarf them up used before there was an Ebay--followed by the LX. The form factor of these cameras was unique compared to other brands at the time, and they did have a different "spirit" to them.

One can easily disagree about whether one does or does not like the new form, but at least it is aiming for something a little bit different.
05-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I have to say, the k*0d bodies are very small. They feel like a beginner camera in many ways but then you see how many buttons they fitted on and that lcd readout on the top, while still managing to keep it all ergonomically idealistic. Thats an achievement!
But one step closer to looking and handling like my MX is one more step closer to perfection.
So yes, pentax were at the top of the league in terms of ergonomics, size and handling, but they may have just jumped into a whole other league of their own!

I CAN NOT AFFORD A K-7 RIGHT NOW :'(((

05-24-2009, 03:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Like monochrome et. al. I’m a little sad to see the diminutive size of the K7. I hope it isn’t a lot smaller than my K10. I thought they had it just about right with the K10/K20 and battery grip. I still have my old MX and felt it was always too small without its winder. I suspect the new K7 will probably be just about right with whatever battery grip they develop for it. I suppose you can’t make any money letting users recycle old accessories forever. At least they still let us recycle the old lenses and that it the main thing. Tell me I can still use my old K, M and A series glass a least.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 05-24-2009 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo
05-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Tell me I can still use my old K, M and A series glass a least.

Tom G
Yes you can. Straight on. Even the screw mount M42 with an adapter.
05-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Like monochrome et. al. I’m a little sad to see the diminutive size of the K7. I hope it isn’t a lot smaller than my K10. I thought they had it just about right with the K10/K20 and battery grip. I still have my old MX and felt it was always too small without its winder. I suspect the new K7 will probably be just about right with whatever battery grip they develop for it. I suppose you can’t make any money letting users recycle old accessories forever. At least they still let us recycle the old lenses and that it the main thing. Tell me I can still use my old K, M and A series glass a least.

Tom G
Maybe they should offer two battery grips, one as small as possible, and a "big bertha" version for the big meat mitts.
05-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charlie_lucas Quote
How refreshing it is to see the spirit of MX, ME Super, LX, MZ-5N, DS, et al returning to imbue this new flagship with a special distinctiveness that is unique to Pentax.
I am glad you are enthusiastic, but I fail to see those attributes in this camera. There are as many negatives as positives in its design. As for the "compact" size, that has been much hyped but until the camera is at least as as small as the K100DS, for example, I fail to see how it captures the Pentax spirit of old. In fact, it looks like every other camera out there... even more so than previous designs.

The K-7 is a great camera feature for feature, but Pentax has some way to go to find their "soul". Maybe the 645D will be the camera that does it. I remain optimistic but refuse to get swept away in hype without substance.

My K-7 evaluation is now available.
05-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #27

Original Poster
Sobering reflection

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The K-7 is a great camera feature for feature, but Pentax has some way to go to find their "soul". Maybe the 645D will be the camera that does it. I remain optimistic but refuse to get swept away in hype without substance.
Thanks Robin. I appreciate your comments and have read with interest your K7 evaluation on Theatre of Noise. I am delighted that the notions of 'Pentax spirit' is one that evidently resonates among the user community. I really hope that Hoya and Pentax will pick-up on this because, from my experience, most Japanese consumer electronics firms are technology/production-led; they benchmark each other and rarely pick-up on consumers' emotional responses (look how staggered they all were when ipod appeared from 'nowhere' and stole the personal audio sector from their own back yard!).

I found your evaluation to be refreshingly down-to-earth and it certainly cuts-through the pre-launch hype to give a sober analysis of the forthcoming product.

From my point of view, I have no quarrel with Pentax owners surfing the euphoria of launch hype. We have all waited long enough for this new model which comes despite many nay-sayers proclaiming the end for Pentax. We are enjoying those exciting moments before the party begins and, secretly, all know that we might be getting just a little carried away! But I, for one, am thrilled that it shows a move in the right direction, back to the true spirit of the brand rather than being tempted to ape the market leaders with the big, ostentatious, overly-specified hunks of technology and features that true photographic enthusiasts don't really need (articulated live-view screens, epic fps levels, etc.).
While the K7 may be no MX, LX or even the MZ-5N, it was a brave move to reverse the direction taken with the K10D and K20D in the direction of conformity and to try to recapture the distinctive Pentax spirit. I expect it has taken the competition by surprise and I applaud Pentax for having the courage to do it. If the Pentax community shares that enthusiasm and supports the product I believe it could mark a renaissance of the brand we love.

If, by your analysis, it is moving in small increments, is not really the point. It is bucking the industry trend and ploughing its own furrow; that, for me, is admirable.
05-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #28
Igilligan

Sorry Charlie... (marketing speak from my canned tuna days)

I want to believe your just a regular guy who is thrilled with the new camera, but you keep sounding like some marketing whiz kid who keeps trumpeting the same buzz words, hoping they will stick.

"If, by your analysis, it is moving in small increments, is not really the point. It is bucking the industry trend and ploughing its own furrow; that, for me, is admirable."

Honestly, for an intelligent guy with tongue of the smiling snake oil salesman, 8^) that quote really makes me giggle.

Pentax is not bucking any industry trend, nor are they plowing any new furrow that I can see, they seemingly are followers who are late to the game and doing an admirable job of attempting to catch up.
Late to the Video game
Late to the FPS game
And the last to arrive when it comes to AF upgrades.
And for goodness sakes, let us hope the Game is well lit and we do not need to use PTTL flash....

It is a great new camera on paper, and hopefully will be a real performer when it hits the stores, I can hardly wait till December to get me one...

All kidding aside, I really do welcome you to the forum, and look forward to your photo posts. I am glad we have a new 'true blue' Pentax fan to the forum.

We got none that writes dem dare words any purdier than you do. (insert winky smiley face here)
05-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Hi Charlie and welcome to the friendliest camera forum on the 'net. Your writing style is very good. Plus you have a sense of humour.

You're analysis is absolutely correct. Pentax has been trying to break paradigms throughout its history. Kind of like Apple in the PC and consumer electronics world, although Pentax has to figure out how to make people want to pay a premium for their products like Apple does. Consumer products is a tough business to be in, especially consumer electronics.
05-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Pentax is not bucking any industry trend, nor are they plowing any new furrow that I can see, they seemingly are followers who are late to the game and doing an admirable job of attempting to catch up.
Late to the Video game
Late to the FPS game
And the last to arrive when it comes to AF upgrades.
And for goodness sakes, let us hope the Game is well lit and we do not need to use PTTL flash....

It is a great new camera on paper, and hopefully will be a real performer when it hits the stores, I can hardly wait till December to get me one...
Pentax is a small company. It doesn't have the financial strength to make many mistakes when it launches a new product. So it has to be a "fast follower" (sorry for the marketing buzzword). I know some of the enthusiasts want Pentax to be more bleeding-edge, but this strategy is much less risky and gives us a product that is more free of bugs and problems.