Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The True Pentax Spirit Returns!

Anyone concerned about Pentax' fading spirit and brand personality, will be rejoicing that the K7 shows a spectacular return to form. It is not just about competitive technology (the K10 and K20 delivered well in that area), but about elegant solutions, attractive design, compact dimensions and sheer pleasure of ownership.

To be brutally honest, the K10 and K20 looked and felt as much at home with the Samsung badge on their Pentaprisms as they did with the Pentax one. They were, to my eyes (and hands), rather bland over-sized, Canikony-style bricks which were technically worthy but aesthetically dull with little to identify them with the elusive Pentax-ness that we all 'feel' but often struggle to put it into words!

The K-m was an encouraging first step in reviving the brand spirit and the K7 is a glorious return to form. I rather think that, next to K7, the Canikony competition is going to look fat heavy, ostentatious and pointlessly complex (which is just what you would have said about Pentax competitors of earlier generations!).

How refreshing it is to see the spirit of MX, ME Super, LX, MZ-5N, DS, et al returning to imbue this new flagship with a special distinctiveness that is unique to Pentax.

05-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What are you on about?
05-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this...

I'll jump in here. This is what he's on about...

PENTAX K-7 Digital SLR - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

YouTube - pentaxian1's Channel

The K-7 looks promising.
05-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Igilligan

Didn't I just see this somewhere else?

It seems the Pentax marketing machine is going full blast on this K7... the viral marketing stuff is turning me off to the Hoya right now...

This marketing, designed to look like typical fanboyism is too much.

It has 'Hoya Marketing Division' Stamped all over it! hahaha

QuoteOriginally posted by charlie_lucas Quote
Anyone concerned about Pentax' fading spirit and brand personality, will be rejoicing that the K7 shows a spectacular return to form. It is not just about competitive technology (the K10 and K20 delivered well in that area), but about elegant solutions, attractive design, compact dimensions and sheer pleasure of ownership.

To be brutally honest, the K10 and K20 looked and felt as much at home with the Samsung badge on their Pentaprisms as they did with the Pentax one. They were, to my eyes (and hands), rather bland over-sized, Canikony-style bricks which were technically worthy but aesthetically dull with little to identify them with the elusive Pentax-ness that we all 'feel' but often struggle to put it into words!

The K-m was an encouraging first step in reviving the brand spirit and the K7 is a glorious return to form. I rather think that, next to K7, the Canikony competition is going to look fat heavy, ostentatious and pointlessly complex (which is just what you would have said about Pentax competitors of earlier generations!).

How refreshing it is to see the spirit of MX, ME Super, LX, MZ-5N, DS, et al returning to imbue this new flagship with a special distinctiveness that is unique to Pentax.

05-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have the K10D...I also have a S1a I got in '68...also what you would probably term a typically elegant, svelte Pentax...a '75 black bodied Pentax ES 11.

I really like the K10D especially with the battery grip on it...it's also big for my big ham fisted mitts.

But I do like the K7 and I do agree it seems to have more of the elegance that my ES 11 has.
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
It seems the Pentax marketing machine is going full blast on this K7... the viral marketing stuff is turning me off to the Hoya right now...

This marketing, designed to look like typical fanboyism is too much.

It has 'Hoya Marketing Division' Stamped all over it! hahaha
Sorry if my enthusiasm for a resurgence in the genuine Pentax spirit has been misconstrued as either 'fanboyism' or 'marketing speak'.

I confess to having written advertising copy in the past for brands in telecoms, automotive and airlines... but never cameras! And I have never, ever, had any connection with either Pentax or Hoya - other than being a longstanding customer of the former.

I hope that helps dispel the paranoia!
05-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Igilligan

Hardly Paranoia Charlie

I admit to living a good portion of my life on "High on the Grassy Knoll" but even you have to admit... It is awfully good writing for a guy with a one day history here, and two posts on the forum the day after the camera is released.

Oh and it was identical to the post you posted in DPR's pentax forum... that is why I questioned it. We get lots of newbies posting fanboyistic hulabaloo every time a new camera comes out. Yours was just the most professional looking of the bunch... and if it looks like a marketing duck, quacks like a marketing duck, and reads like a marketing duck...

Gus Oswald and the single bullet band...

p.s. you got two posts and you already have an avatar... It took me a year to figure that out. haha

Welcome to the forum Charlie... we are usually a pretty friendly bunch.

05-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well my, my JKP - I like mine too!!

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
"Bland over-sized, Canikony-style bricks," you say. You may be entitled to your opinion, but you've got a lot of nerve popping up here and insulting my PENTAX camera. Sod off twerp.
My sentiments exactly - the K10D with grip fits my hands just perfectly and I like the heft and feel.
Of course, I also like K bodies more than M bodies for the same reasons.

Nevertheless, I will likely at some point (skipping a generation or three as I frequently have) purchase a K-7 and some modern lenses.

Oh - and the images are pretty nice too.
05-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I dunno, Igilligan, aftere all this leadup, *someone's* got to be all happy happy.

Besides, I don't think marketing hacks would be complaining about the size of a K20d: that's just... normal camera-sized, really.

Considering the K10/20 are way smaller than anything anywhere near their level from Canon or Nikon, yeah, people who think they're 'oversized' are really selectively-comparing them to either old-school film cameras (and actually, my K20d with grip on is almost exactly the size of my F-1N with the small winder on, but a good half inch narrower and with a smaller handgrip on the right. ) ...or entry level digitals that are of course smaller.

The kind-of-anonymous digital-camera styling kind of makes it really hard to gauge by looking on the net, but the K10 and 20 were already quite small for their class, and the K7 is much smaller. Could very well come in around where an ME-series body and winder combo (very nice size, btw) were.
05-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I dunno, Igilligan, aftere all this leadup, *someone's* got to be all happy happy.

Besides, I don't think marketing hacks would be complaining about the size of a K20d: that's just... normal camera-sized, really.
I don't really believe old Charlie is a hoya plant... He just reads like one. You call it happy happy, I call it Kool-aid speak.

But honestly, it would do Hoya absolutely no harm to have a random guy dog the K20d now... (I am guessing almost their entire back log has been shipped) So it would do no real damage to have someone saying they did not like the size and look of the K20 in a thread that was a giant "happy happy" marketing speak ad for the new camera...

But I think Charlie is just high on the fumes like everyone else is... shoot I am downright giddy about the potential improvements in AF and I think the video feature might be fun with the kids.
But some folks have been loving the True Pentax Spirit all along, long before Charlie's first post here.

But after two events in the last 5 days where I had to use the PTTL Flash... one of my concerns is that no mention has been made by anyone about any improvements to PTTL metering... if that is still as inconsistent as it is on the K100d and K20d then that would be a dropped ball by Pentax IMHO.

Nothing but love to you and to our new forum member Charlie the regular guy.

haha
05-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Heehee. I certainly wouldn't exactly say this P-TTL system was a selling point for me, just something I was prepared to accept, considering. it'd be nice if they could find a way to make new bodies plain ol' real TTL again, sometime, by the sound of things.

I can kind of wait: I've been holding out with Canon FD stuff all this time, and *their* dedicated flash didn't do anything useful till the T90 came out, and I never owned one of those.

We may soon find out what I think of P-ttl: with the Ritz firesales on, it might be the time to get that investment in a flash unit out of the way. If I'm lucky I might come up with at least a 360. This may or may not be cause for round three of digital technoshock and subsequent coming-here trying to figure out yet another little computer in my life.
05-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well I like my K20d, but I also agree with Charlie.....I like how the K-7 has the same small style as the ME Super I grew up with. I pick up my ME Super and the viewfinder and feel is superb. I hope the viewfinder of the K-7 will match....we'll see. I also like how the right grip and size of the K-7 matches the LX....not that I think this model is quite there yet....
05-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #13
Damn Brit

Can I ban someone for spamming on behalf of Pentax?
That's a bit of a grey area.
05-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Can I ban someone for spamming on behalf of Pentax?
That's a bit of a grey area.
You do what ever your Pentax heart tells you.
05-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #15
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
You do what ever your Pentax heart tells you.
No, I don't have a Pentax heart, I have a cold, black one and I'm not a transit cop.