Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax press release

DP Review reprints the Pentax press release

It is entitled:

Press Release:
PENTAX K-7
A Mid-Class Digital SLR Camera

Is this official wording used by Pentax? If so, it would explain if without any doubt ...

05-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #17

I'm willing to bet the majority of professional photographers are actually using entry level bodies with the most expensive lenses they can afford. That's because the majority of people who make their living off their pictures are shooting in strip malls and elementary schools -- there's way more people making their livings off weddings and senior portraits than those selling to the press, magazines, or ad companies. Most of those people have multiple camera bodies that perform the basic functions of a digital camera and care more about how expensive it is to replace after they drop it in a mud puddle than they care about the ability to print lifesize posters of a fashion model in front of a city skyline.
05-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
It's missing FF, a Canikon label, and a larger price tag.
Wish they fix the #1, i can live without 2 and 3!
05-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of those people have multiple camera bodies that perform the basic functions of a digital camera and care more about how expensive it is to replace after they drop it in a mud puddle than they care about the ability to print lifesize posters of a fashion model in front of a city skyline.

There's a lot of truth to that. I took a workshop from a guy who was a Leica fanatic...until his canoe overturned and all his gear sank to the bottom of the river. That's when he switched to Olympus.

05-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #20

Original Poster
without revisiting the FF vs APS-C arguements of the past in my eyes the APS-C format might have an edge for sports photog. The ability to use a smaller, lighter, less expensive, sealed DA* 200 f2.8 as opposed to a 300 f2.8 and achieve nearly identical images could be an advantage. The same holds true for other focal lengths as in the sports I have shot, wide angle is not as useful as telephoto. Given these facts I seem to me all Pentax is currently missing from a sportsphotog line would probably be something equivalent to a 150 - 400mm f4 zoom. With already excellent IQ, weathersealing, increased FPS it seems Pentax could easily produce an extremely fine sports photog camera. I guess we'll have to see what the sports folks can do with a K-7!
05-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Event photgraphy experience

I'm willing to bet the majority of professional photographers are actually using entry level bodies with the most expensive lenses they can afford. That's because the majority of people who make their living off their pictures are shooting in strip malls and elementary schools -- there's way more people making their livings off weddings and senior portraits than those selling to the press, magazines, or ad companies. Most of those people have multiple camera bodies that perform the basic functions of a digital camera and care more about how expensive it is to replace after they drop it in a mud puddle than they care about the ability to print lifesize posters of a fashion model in front of a city skyline.

FWIW, I recently attended a charitable event that included an opportunity for a portrait in a poorly-lit stable foyer holding the reins of a Clydesdale horse.

Photographer and assistant lined up 289 couples for quick single shot. Took email addresses and gave us image numbers. Event sponsor is supposed to contact us to offer an 8x10 color mounted print.

Here's what they used:
  • Tripod (of course)
  • EOS 50D w/o BG cabled to AC power
  • EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
  • Remote Wired flash through an AC power source, 2 umbrellas; photographer's right high and bounced, left lower and through, approx 130 degrees angle, plus on-camera, diffused and ceiling-bounced
  • Tethered to laptop for direct image capture
They got a bit testy when I tried to read the software they were using and my wife dragged me away.
05-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
To effectively compete in what is today considered the "pro" market (press is really sports/action, for the most part) Pentax would need AT LEAST to have:
  • a significant series of long, fast prime glass
  • a significant series of fast zooms
  • significant brick and mortar distribution in major markets
  • enough scale to support LOCAL lens and body rental in 25 major US markets alone, plus globally the same kind of markets
  • rapid repair service centers, with "lender" gear available
  • truly system accessories
And tack onto that list

3rd Party Mfgr support. Not just lenses, but all the other supporting equipment that is tailor made to work with the other players' proprietary systems.
05-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shuie Quote
Why would the K-7 not be called a pro level camera? ....
What is the K-7 missing? What am I missing? What does it need?
Ok, I'll start answering my own question.
Flash sync 1/180th second
Not FF ( however I don't feel that is a disqualifier it could be called a Professional APS-C format camera)
The terms "pro", "semi-pro", "prosumer" and "amateur" (and any others you might run across) are not quite meaningless, but very close. They're marketing terms, used not so much to distinguish classes of cameras but rather to guide buyers to the right class of products. Basically, the terms refer not to capabilities or features, but to price. Very roughly, $1000-$2000 = semipro; over that is pro. Pentax will never be recognized as marketing a fully professional camera until it comes out with the 645D or something else that costs at least $2500.

Note that I'm pulling this out of the air. There's no standard. There's no rule that says, for example, that under $1000 is prosumer, over 11MP is semi-pro and 15MP is pro or anything like that. Most of the pros that I know are using "semi-pro" cameras.

Because the products in the digital camera marketplace change pretty constantly, the capabilities of the cameras designated by one of these labels change, too. I know pros who started in digital photography early - almost ten years ago - who would have killed to get their hands on something as good as the Pentax K200D, which is at the low-end of the feature list nowadays.

In other words, don't let it get to you.

Will

05-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimby Quote
The term "pro" is first and foremost a marketing distinction. If a camera company labels a model as "pro" then this will determine the course of all the downstream marketing activity, such as: ...
Agreed. Didn't see this earlier response before I posted my response saying the same thing.

QuoteQuote:
If Pentax had decided to market the K-7 as a pro camera, it probably would cost at least $500 more, and the marketing would be completely different. They wouldn't sell as many cameras in the long run because the pro market is currently locked up with two behemoths fighting it out.
Right. Pentax has to make money, and it's not going to make money competing head-to-head with Canon & Nikon. Now I bet that an awful lot of the folks buying Nikon D3X's or even Canon EOS 50D's are actually amateurs. I was out somewhere last year and helped a young lady with a $2500 camera who didn't know how to change some basic setting. You don't have to pass a test to buy one of these cameras.

Will
05-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #25
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Features aside, tack heavy price tag as one of the 'prerequisites' of a pro cam...
Pentax may therefore not have to make a PRO model.
05-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #26

Original Poster
My reason for almost wishing the K-7 was labeled as a pro camera is for the fence sitters out there. You know, the people that buy Rebels because Canon is what the Pros use. I understand the foolishness of this thought process, but unfortunatly when some noob hears that Pentax's flagship DSLR is an enthusiest model they may feel somehow they are better off with something from Canikon. I hope this camera gets the attention it seems to deserve and helps Pentax build up their market share. I personally feel Pentax should call it a Pro/Semi-pro body.
05-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #27
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

If one judges Pentax to be a flimsy brand based on the fact that it has no 'pro' models ever made, then good for them (or bad luck to them I should say).

You can't please all, but you can certainly please those who have done their homework to find that there are pro features in all their flagship models at a fraction of the price Canikon are offering.

Then there's the SR for each and every lens mountable on the cams, drastically reducing the total amount of money needed to invest in a decent system. But an ignorant noob will not look into this fact and just pick up a Nikon D40 and kit lens, only to be surprised buying another lens that has VR, let alone one that autofocuses, will cost more than the cam...

Pentax... be different.
05-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shuie Quote
My reason for almost wishing the K-7 was labeled as a pro camera is for the fence sitters out there. You know, the people that buy Rebels because Canon is what the Pros use. I understand the foolishness of this thought process, but unfortunatly when some noob hears that Pentax's flagship DSLR is an enthusiest model they may feel somehow they are better off with something from Canikon. I hope this camera gets the attention it seems to deserve and helps Pentax build up their market share. I personally feel Pentax should call it a Pro/Semi-pro body.
I understand your thought process here. Unfortunately, while this designation might matter to a few people, what matters most is what's in their local camera stores. I don't even think that ordinary buyers care that much about the reputation that Canon and Nikon have. Ordinary buyers (in my experience anyway) don't know enough about cameras to know who's who. They've heard of Canon and perhaps Nikon, and perhaps they haven't heard of Pentax before; but they've heard of Sony, certainly, and probably Olympus, and yet those brands also have trouble with market share. I am pretty sure it's because Nikon and Canon have the stores locked up and Pentax can't find a way to compete there.

I've been thinking for a while that Pentax ought to take a page from Apple and open up a few of its own stores in big cities. Perhaps even work out an alliance with Apple.

Will
05-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #29

While this is only a hobby for me, the "pros" that I admire the most are not newspaper photographers (although I live in an old house that was the home of a famous news photographer), nor paparazzi style pros. I grew up fascinated by the National Geographic adventure set. For that type of adventure, nature and portraiture pro, I think the K-7 can't be beat.
05-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
If you haven't noticed, a lot of people on this forum do....
I used to be... must admit...
before I started taking a lot of pictures... now " I know" what I need.
and it can change at any given time the more experience I get.

but right now what I need is a small camera and more importantly a small sharp lens that I can shove at people faces, with out giving them an heart attack, and even get an occasional smile.

some one mentioned to me yesterday the magnum group... no doubt a group of pros . some how I doubt that any of them is using a FF camera.
I am pretty sure that at the places they are going they only using cameras with AA batteries as electricity outlets can be a problem .