Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

How much improvement?

With all the hype about the new K7 I'd love to get this camera, however its not within my budget. Espeically since I bought the Km last fall. Though I love my Km sometimes I'd like better high iso performance. Is it worth it to me to pick up a K20D cheap as an upgrade? What is so much better about the K20 than the Km? Besides what the specs say? Or is it better to stick with the Km and save my $$ for the K7? In some ways I regret getting my Km 6 months ago because I could have upgraded to the K7. (previously shooting with a K110D)

05-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by needtime2scrap Quote
Though I love my Km sometimes I'd like better high iso performance. Is it worth it to me to pick up a K20D cheap as an upgrade? What is so much better about the K20 than the Km?
The K20D is better in almost every way (better controls, deeper buffer, bigger VF, more features, etc.). The K-m has only these few advantages:
- slightly faster frame rate (3.5fps) but the buffer is limited to 4 shots vs 16-17 on the K20D.
- faster AF in low light (but no AF point selection, slower in daylight where the K20D has a stronger motor).
- smaller and lighter.

If you can sell the K-m and get a K20D on the cheap, you'll spend probably less than 400-500$ for a much better camera.