Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K7...Is a Pro Medel Next?

As an Old time Pentax film SLR lover and having owned a K10D for a few years, I have to say that my heart has always been with Pentax. I really like the K7, the questions are, will it live up to it's spec and just how good is that AF system now???

I currently shoot a Nikon D300 for its AF speed & accuracy as I am a bird/wildlife guy, etc. I still shoot my film Pentax SLR's quite often as well. We know Pentax is sticking to catering to the "Advanced Shooter," but will they go "PRO" eventually?? I want to see a Pro-level DSLR by Pentax that will rival either a D3/D700 or Canon's top competitor. I want to see the world embrace the phrase, "The Big Three" - Canon, Nikon, PENTAX.....

Thoughts and comments on whether Pentax will ever produce a true Pro-level DSLR?

Thanks

Last edited by Scout Pro; 05-22-2009 at 10:18 AM.
05-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pro is such a subjective term, its all about what meets your needs. If you get paid to shoot coins for a living at the Mint, well, a K10D could be your pro camera, heck an iST could be for that matter.
05-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think the 645D will be our ultra-mega-top-pro model like the D3X/1Ds III. Maybe a 5D/D700 level someday, who knows
05-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree... I think the 645d is Pentax's foray into the "pro" arena. They can't afford (with the DA line-up) to go full-frame, well not in the near future, and Pentax cannot compete with the other makers well into the FF race... playing catch-up can prove disastrous. At least with the 645D, they can hope to bring back the old pros who used to use the old Pentax MF's. I think Pentax is doing great, with compact "semi-pro" models, and a big-@$$ pro model.

05-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
I realize the word "Pro" for any camera is in the "eyes of the beholder" and what he/she can "do" with it, etc. I would like to make the jump to a bigger (physically) Pro-level camera for "coin" work. More or less I would like to see a Pro level Pentax DX/FX DSLR and have Pentax once again reclaim that true "Pro" Status.
05-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been wondering about Pentax and Pro myself. Seeing the vidio of the K-7 with the microphone attached got me thinking. Would it be feasible for pentax to release a system where the grip does more than hold a spare battery? For example if more processing power is need for video, make a grip with a second processor to help take the load of the main processor. Add more RAM in the grip to increase buffer size. Call it the video grip. Or then offer anothe grip to optimize frame rate, and image processing for sports folks. In essence offer a system that allows people to customize their accessories for their particular shooting needs.
05-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm pretty sure the 645D is the pro camera (Pentax's forte is studio and landscape, not sports)...
05-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #8

It seems to me with Pentaxs weathersealing general toughness and APS-c format it would be a great contender for the sports photog. If they came out with a model with even higher FPS and excellent predictive AF as well as high ISO performance I think it would be ideal. Feature in lower cost over FF and now it is even easier for a Pro to have multiple bodies. Just because Canikon currently dominate this field doesn't mean Pentax can't play too.

05-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I would love them to bring a FF model out in a few years time.

Plus they can just put some FA lenses back into production, saves them have to design new lenses.
05-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
Forum Member

Pentax has, at times, brought forth flagship cameras for pros. The LX came out in 1980 and lasted more than 20 years in the market as their 35mm flagship with only modest incremental improvements. The 645 came out in the mid 80's and remained unchanged until 1998, with the introduction of the 645N. With the minor tweaks that camera is essentially still available as the 645NII.

Those days are gone. The pace of technology with digital takes the ultimate pro camera of 12 or 18 months ago and totally obsoletes it-- where you can find the same sensor or features in prosumer models for half or one third the price. That's got to put a crimp in anybody's plans to go head with the likes of Canon and Nikon building pro cameras. To get produced, a new camera at this level either has to be a blockbuster (D3, D300) or at least be a loss-leader to attract masses of consumers to your cheaper offerings (the D3X may fall into this category, even at nearly $8K if they don't sell enough of them to break even, at least until they bring that sensor forth in a lower priced version).

Last edited by Ivan J. Eberle; 05-22-2009 at 08:44 PM.
05-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #11

What can Pentax put in a pro aps-c body, other than a bigger body and more af points, fps?
05-24-2009, 04:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Pro is such a subjective term, its all about what meets your needs. If you get paid to shoot coins for a living at the Mint, well, a K10D could be your pro camera, heck an iST could be for that matter.
Exactly! You took the words out of my mouth!
05-24-2009, 04:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scout Pro Quote
Thoughts and comments on whether Pentax will ever produce a true Pro-level DSLR?
I don't think they will. It takes a lot of investment and the ROI is not guaranteed in a market locked by the big 2. If they do it will be with the 645D.

And it's not just about the body it's also about the services and the network.