Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you actually do this?

I use the 3 image bracket function have found a number of interesting things. One would be that creating HDR using masks in Photoshop produces better results in many situations than any automated process I've ever seen, including Photoshop's built in one. Another would be that I rarely use more than two images. A rare exception would be sunsets over beaches and water, where the sky , water and foreground often each come from a different image. Even on those images masking works better than HDR software. So, really, this is a gimmick.

Is bad HDR better than no HDR?

In a most cases no. IN fact bad HDR can look horrible. The shadow/highlight functions in Aperture and Photoshop enable you to bring up images from the shadow and pull detail out of highlights, without resorting to bracketing. You need learn to make full use of the raw images you have before you move on to composite images. In many case bracketing becomes what it was supposed to be, insurance that you don't miss capturing an image in it's radiant glory because of some quirk in your exposure meter. Your best exposure in raw format, often has all the image you need, although it may take some tweeking to keep optimal in a jpg because you're going from 12 to 8 bit.

08-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One would be that creating HDR using masks in Photoshop produces better results in many situations than any automated process I've ever seen, including Photoshop's built in one.
I second this opinion.

I found that esp. HDR from images with overblown halos around sun/moon/lamp/streetlight/headlamp produces ugly ring artifacts when using the built-in functions.

In less demanding situations though, hdr software can produce stunning results.
08-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Because the 3 frames are so you can create HDR on the run... the camera itself supports bracketing of 5 shots. So if you want to do the tone mapping yourself don't use the in camera HDR use the 5 shot bracket and then do it on a computer.

mike
This is right and 3 frames is the minimum and is actually all you really need to do HDR and if you really want to seriously do HDR then you have to do it on the computer and not on the fly.