Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
These were "pre-production" units and they were not allowing any capture to media. The camera bodies had their SD card doors thoroughly taped closed, and were not letting anyone insert media cards into these pre-production units, which I was also told were still running an earlier beta version of the firmware.

All I got to say is "BUMMER!!!"

05-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Dave,
I was hoping you could have taken the SD card out of your KM and inserted it into the K 7 and done some test shots. I was looking at the EXIF data off your KM and was surprised that most of your shots were made without a flash and 200 ISO, couldn't have been too dim at the show great white balance too. I like others hope the production model lives up to the hype and we'll get low low noise levels at least at 1600 ISO
Shutterpuppy,

Thanks for your comments.

These images are very characteristic of the DA/DFA lenses, very bright and punchy.

Even at ISO200, the shutter speeds were 1/15s or less to give some idea of the available light. Technically, the images are overexposed compared to reality (as the meter tries to lighten dark scenes), so the effect (which is pleasing) is that the interior was bright. To preserve the actual dimness, I would have had to apply negative exposure comp!

Some props to the K-m. The SR is great. Also, the WB seems very reliable, except under mixed light sources.

On my shots in the OP they were (except the last 3) shot in RAW in my K-m on Av mode and converted in PPL. The first image is with a demo DA15mm (as noted). The rest are DA35mm.

The last 3 (comparo) shots were in-camera JPEG's taken on my card with a demo K20d + DA40 (my K-m is in the photo), so I can't comment much on them.

As mentioned, the K-7 doors were taped shut (you can see it in the comparo pictures). Since the firmware is beta I don't know if we would have learned anything useful, although it would've been fun.
05-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote
Shutterpuppy,

Thanks for your comments.

These images are very characteristic of the DA/DFA lenses, very bright and punchy.

Even at ISO200, the shutter speeds were 1/15s or less to give some idea of the available light. Technically, the images are overexposed compared to reality (as the meter tries to lighten dark scenes), so the effect (which is pleasing) is that the interior was bright. To preserve the actual dimness, I would have had to apply negative exposure comp!

Some props to the K-m. The SR is great. Also, the WB seems very reliable, except under mixed light sources.

On my shots in the OP they were (except the last 3) shot in RAW in my K-m on Av mode and converted in PPL. The first image is with a demo DA15mm (as noted). The rest are DA35mm.

The last 3 (comparo) shots were in-camera JPEG's taken on my card with a demo K20d + DA40 (my K-m is in the photo), so I can't comment much on them.

As mentioned, the K-7 doors were taped shut (you can see it in the comparo pictures). Since the firmware is beta I don't know if we would have learned anything useful, although it would've been fun.
As I mentioned in another thread, I have had bridge cams in the past and I for one like the idea of having HD movies on a Pentax DSLR, just wondering if you can change
the ISO in this mode as using my Sigma 70-300,, in movie mode at 1600 ISO gives me goose bumps thinking about the possibilities like state fair movies at night or even firework displays or concerts along with stills on one large (16gb ) SD card.

Thanks for sharing
Barry
05-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
Also hard to tell in the dim and poor lighting of the trade show, about how good the new viewfinder is. It is 100% view of what you are shooting, but the magnification is reduced to show that 100%, so it is now at .92x.
I have directly compared viewfinders on K20D and K-7 (actually, MightyMike was there and I have used his K20D -- he can further comment on my findings): the apparent size in K-7 viewfinder is NOTICEABLY larger than K20D. Very close to a film cameras in terms of perception. In contrast, K20D have more "tunnel like" effect which is almost gone in K-7.

I don't know how is magnification related to this effect, but there is no doubt that K-7 viewfinder looks larger than in K20D.

Also, K-7 viewfinder looks a bit brighter and somewhat "smoother" (that is, less "grained" compared to my *istDS and K10D).

05-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #20

Couldn't resist

Hi Dave,
Great writeup.
I coulndn't resist being one of the first few people to actually hold the K-7.
My first impression - heck this is so light!
Second was - heck it focus really fast and decisive, no hunting - even in the poor lighting in the hall.

Here are a few images of me with the much talked about "Pentax K-7"!

QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote
Hi Mike, we were there from 10:00~12:00! Feel free to reproduce your report here, this could be one big thread from the Toronto show.
Attached Images

05-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
I have directly compared viewfinders on K20D and K-7 (actually, MightyMike was there and I have used his K20D -- he can further comment on my findings): the apparent size in K-7 viewfinder is NOTICEABLY larger than K20D. Very close to a film cameras in terms of perception. In contrast, K20D have more "tunnel like" effect which is almost gone in K-7.

I don't know how is magnification related to this effect, but there is no doubt that K-7 viewfinder looks larger than in K20D.

Also, K-7 viewfinder looks a bit brighter and somewhat "smoother" (that is, less "grained" compared to my *istDS and K10D).
My take on the viewfinder was there was a difference but i'd have to take a lot more critical of a look to put it into words
05-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #22
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by Man Khun Quote
Hi Dave,
Great writeup.
Second was - heck it focus really fast and decisive, no hunting - even in the poor lighting in the hall.

Hey! i remember you there... i'll have to post some photos maybe
05-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Grip?

No grips out yet to look at, so I don't know what they look like, I was told that the grips would be ready and ship at the time that the bodies are ready to ship...

05-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #24
Inactive Account

That's good, then

The viewfinder did seem brighter than my K-7, it was hard for me to tell, because I have a magnifying piece on my K20D, and forgot to take it off when comparing the two, also forgot about seeing if it would fit... as well as a custom focus screen.
05-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I coulndn't resist being one of the first few people to actually hold the K-7. [...] Here are a few images of me with the much talked about "Pentax K-7"!
OK, the race is on then! Here are mine, taken only a few minutes before yours! :-)))))
Attached Images

05-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #26
Marketplace Reseller

OK, the race is on then! Here are mine, taken only a few minutes before yours! :-)))))
I don't even have mine off the camera yet... too busy and really don't care about the goofy photos i took ... maybe i'll get some more stylish photos tomorrow
05-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

nice reports, looks like al ot of fun
05-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi Dave,
Great writeup.

Man-Kuhn! Ah-ha, you took all the K-7's! Trying to corner the market, hmm?
Poor Joey in Manila has zero K-7's...try to think about him!!
05-23-2009, 02:43 AM   #29

Come on Mike - Let's have some fun!
We all know what this camera is capable of!
It was nice to meet some of our friendly Canadian Pentax users!

Can't wait tp get hold of the production model !!

QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
I don't even have mine off the camera yet... too busy and really don't care about the goofy photos i took ... maybe i'll get some more stylish photos tomorrow
05-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #30

More fun images with the K-7

Hi Ivan,
Nice to see you at the show.
The K-7 is really impressive eh!

Let's have fun - Could everyone that visit the K-7 over the weekend please post your "goofy" images!