Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #61
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
I'm interested in K-7's focusing accuracy.
Well it was hard to tell as there were no cards.. But from what I could see briefly on the screen with the 300mm lens it looked great. (I know sometimes they look great on the little screen when they are slightly out of focus, but from what I could tell they looked really sharp)

Pannoguy that would have been awesome! But I got some kick @ss deals for being at the last day! Heck one of the Henry's employees reduced the price on the camera bag I was buying while I was standing in line I got a Lowepro camera bag that was normally $56 for $16!!! It stared out as 19.99 when I got in line. I got a small Roots camera case normally $24 for $1.00 .... so whilst as much fun as hanging out with Pentaxians would be-I loved my deals!!!

05-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I might throw you a ruler, so you can measure the image circle of the DA 21 Ltd and see that you can't use it on a FF body
My 21 is a Lentar (Tokina) M42 which works quite well FF, thanks. Cost me all of US$24. Whew.
05-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My 21 is a Lentar (Tokina) M42 which works quite well FF, thanks. Cost me all of US$24. Whew.
In that case I'll let you off.

But please return my ruler

05-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
But please return my ruler
Here it is:

Sorry if I messed it up or anything.

05-25-2009, 06:30 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Great to see everybody at the show! Great shots panoguy--I was having a lot of fun picking faces out of the crowd with the 300 on the K-7.

The real eye-opener for me was trying Vizjerei's 77 on the K-7. Focus was much faster than on the K20 and just locked--no hunting. I panned around the crowd a bit to take shots at different distances and it seems like it did a great job of finding the target I intended.

Then I got back to using my 43 on the K20, and I was having trouble with the lighting. Not exactly apples to apples, but I didn't want to get finger prints on Victor's silver 77...

Of course, the real test would be to actually look at the pics afterwards and see if it was really in focus! Soon, folks!

It wasn't really possible to test the video mode very well, but I'm curious about how it'll look. The Live View would stutter a bit--I think because of the low light it was changing shutter speeds and stuff, but I didn't know exactly what was going on. I did some fast pans just to see if it did the D90 jiggle, and it was there a little but not quite as bad. Tough to say--wish they had at least some promotional video footage at the booth!

But yes, above all the staff there were great ambassadors for Pentax--knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and they didn't seem to mind at all that we were doing their sales pitch for them
05-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #66
Veteran Member

AF is fast with K7 for sure, I try my 50-135 to test the SDM speed, I don't really feel the improvement much but once I try my 77 ltd, it is like day and night. it is much surprise that for the speed of screw drive AF improved that much.

Another big thing is the shutter sound is soooo quiet! and of course 5fps with quiet shutter is sooo nice~ I have also tried high ISO in the pre-production model, looks like look abit better than k20D but all is not final

* Ahh~ farfisa beat me on report~

Last edited by vizjerei; 05-25-2009 at 06:44 AM.
05-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #67
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Now that's funny. I can just see me shooting a wedding and the guests at the church watching this idiot (or should I say more of an idiot than normal) with the camera upside down, flash attached etc, shooting all day. I'm sure I'd get loads of referrals from that.
I think it will be difficult to reflect the flash into the ceiling if you shoot upside down, but maybe you use ambient light?

Perhaps you could find a way to mount the Pentax flash adapter F to the tripod mount on the camera and shoot with the flash on top (bottom) even when the camera is upside down...you could actually have one flash below and one above the camera...think what possibilities that would open! (would love to see the guests reaction on that combo)

...but seriously, good luck with the noose and the K-7...I'm hapy to be a right eye shooter who don't even need to close my left eye, somehow the brain sort it out anyway...but I have been wondering why they (any camera maker) don't make left-sided cameras as an option, like John Lenon used to special order left handed guitars (or was it the other guy?).
05-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #68
Site Supporter

Thanks for the reports everybody!
Has Pentax ever tried to demo the weatherproofing on an exhibition by installing a sort of shower to mimic rain, and have staff or visitors walking through it in raincoat with the camera exposed to the "rain" to demo its capability (instead one could of course image some models being "test pilots"...not using rain coats..but that wouldn´t be politically correct, so I didn't write that).

05-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
(instead one could of course image some models being "test pilots"...not using rain coats..but that wouldn´t be politically correct, so I didn't write that).
Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
05-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
AF is fast with K7 for sure, I try my 50-135 to test the SDM speed, I don't really feel the improvement much but once I try my 77 ltd, it is like day and night. it is much surprise that for the speed of screw drive AF improved that much.

Another big thing is the shutter sound is soooo quiet! and of course 5fps with quiet shutter is sooo nice~ I have also tried high ISO in the pre-production model, looks like look abit better than k20D but all is not final

* Ahh~ farfisa beat me on report~
I don't understand, someone said it's a lot faster for SDM lens with K7 but small improvement for screw drive AF. But your report seems the contrary.
05-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
I don't understand, someone said it's a lot faster for SDM lens with K7 but small improvement for screw drive AF. But your report seems the contrary.
Depends on the lenses used, I reckon.
05-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
I think it really depends on which lens you use as ftpaddict said. I only have one SDM lens which is the 50-135. I actually regret that I forgot to try my FA35mm on K-7 to see if the AF is that fast for all screwdrive AF lens. But I say my 77ltd AF is much much faster with K-7 than my K10D which farfisa also agrees as he tried and compared with his K20D. And no hunting, even with the bad lighting in the showroom.

Last edited by vizjerei; 05-26-2009 at 07:59 AM.
05-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Thanks for the reports everybody!
Has Pentax ever tried to demo the weatherproofing on an exhibition by installing a sort of shower to mimic rain, and have staff or visitors walking through it in raincoat with the camera exposed to the "rain" to demo its capability (instead one could of course image some models being "test pilots"...not using rain coats..but that wouldn´t be politically correct, so I didn't write that).
Sadly, This show isn't that as big as PMA and stuff like that, and I see every company are using the same layout as last year. Maybe we should bring our own water bottles
05-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #74

i only have 1 star len (DA*300). just hope it will AF faster. other than that (AF speed), this lens is superb.
05-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Sadly, This show isn't that as big as PMA and stuff like that, and I see every company are using the same layout as last year. Maybe we should bring our own water bottles
At the Toronto show, Olympus had a fish-tank where their waterproof P&S's were displayed submerged. That was cool.