Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 03:11 AM   #31

Hi Dave,
Yes, I am trying to get hold of all the K-7 in Canada - then I can sell them at a much higher price!! so I can then buy more of the prime lens! just kidding!

I am sure there will be a shortage of the camera at the begining. So Joey in Manila better have 3 shifts going to assemble the K-7 in order to meet the high demands!

QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote

Man-Kuhn! Ah-ha, you took all the K-7's! Trying to corner the market, hmm?
Poor Joey in Manila has zero K-7's...try to think about him!!

05-23-2009, 05:21 AM   #32
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by Man Khun Quote
Come on Mike - Let's have some fun!
We all know what this camera is capable of!
It was nice to meet some of our friendly Canadian Pentax users!

Can't wait tp get hold of the production model !!
Ok i'll post the photos if there is anything post-worthy when i get the photos off the camera
05-23-2009, 05:51 AM   #33
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well that's it for me.

I'm really disappointed with seeing these overhead comparison shots. I've been looking at all the threads of size comparisons and pictures anywhere I could find them on the net. Photo #8 just showed me I'll be selling my gear at the end of this year if a new, larger body doesn't come out in the next model.

I'm a left eye shooter. I'm 75% blind in the right eye and can't shoot with the right eye. I was concerned that the body was so much narrower (24mm) and I'd have trouble with my nose covering the rear buttons and making the rear e dial hard to use. If you look at the 8th picture and notice that the eye cup on the K-7 is almost flush with the body, there's no way I'll be able to use this camera.

I love the K20D but where I have issues is shooting weddings in low light and at higher ISO's. It just ain't that great. So what I wanted in a new camera was better high ISO shooting and a little better low light AF. Well it seems we got that.

But they have abandoned people like me. If this is the trend, and I would guess it is, the small body won't work for me. Since everyone is so excited by the small body size, I don't expect that new models will go back to the K20D size.

Look for a big sale of Pentax gear coming in the fall. I can't afford to carry a full Pentax kit and get a 5DMkII and related lenses etc.

It's been a fun ride for the last 28 years....

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-23-2009 at 06:01 AM.
05-23-2009, 06:00 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sad to hear Zack. You think it might help if you tried the camera first? Best of luck in your switch should you decide to do so, Canon's a great system too (I'm dual system: Pentax and Canon).

05-23-2009, 06:12 AM   #35
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I have a *istD as well. It's about the same size as the K-7 but the eye cup sticks out further and there are few buttons on the back. I actually use the grip controls quite a bit even in landscape mode. It works but it's awkward.

Since no stores here will stock the new camera, Id have to rely on guys who have a chance to try the camera the way I'd use it to tell me if they find it possible or comfortable. But I suspect not with my experience with the *istD.
05-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
These were "pre-production" units and they were not allowing any capture to media. The camera bodies had their SD card doors thoroughly taped closed, and were not letting anyone insert media cards into these pre-production units, which I was also told were still running an earlier beta version of the firmware.
Interesting to know.
I'll get my hands on one at a Pentax show tomorrow in Tokyo.
Hopefully they'll allow this, but I have my doubts...

Thanks for the report, btw dave.
05-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Hey Peter, I sell u the O-ME53 if it works on K-7, hows that?

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm really disappointed with seeing these overhead comparison shots. I've been looking at all the threads of size comparisons and pictures anywhere I could find them on the net. Photo #8 just showed me I'll be selling my gear at the end of this year if a new, larger body doesn't come out in the next model.

I'm a left eye shooter. I'm 75% blind in the right eye and can't shoot with the right eye. I was concerned that the body was so much narrower (24mm) and I'd have trouble with my nose covering the rear buttons and making the rear e dial hard to use. If you look at the 8th picture and notice that the eye cup on the K-7 is almost flush with the body, there's no way I'll be able to use this camera.

I love the K20D but where I have issues is shooting weddings in low light and at higher ISO's. It just ain't that great. So what I wanted in a new camera was better high ISO shooting and a little better low light AF. Well it seems we got that.

But they have abandoned people like me. If this is the trend, and I would guess it is, the small body won't work for me. Since everyone is so excited by the small body size, I don't expect that new models will go back to the K20D size.

Look for a big sale of Pentax gear coming in the fall. I can't afford to carry a full Pentax kit and get a 5DMkII and related lenses etc.

05-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Peter,
Something is wrong with that overhead picture. The standard K-20 eyepiece does not stick out like the one in that picture. I just checked on mine. It looks just like the K-7. The k20d in that picture must have an O-ME53 or another after market eyepiece. In fact I am almost positive it is the O-ME53 if you look at it from the back view.

When left-eye viewing for me on the k20d, my nose ends up around the OK button, but is still comfortable. Geometrically, the buttons relative to the eyepiece on the K-7 are similar, so I would expect that if the k20d was comfortable left-eye, then I can't see how the K-7 would be worse.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 05-23-2009 at 01:21 PM.
05-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #39

maybe we can petition for one of these to be made for the k7:
hoodeye
05-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #40
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Pentax Poke, Yeah I may have posted that too early in the morning the eye cup is different than the standard one. It does stick out more. Another member is going to test the camera out for me and see if it will shoot left eye comfortably. The main issue is whether it's possible to get your thumb on the AF, green button and rear e dial while still keeping the eye on the VF. Clearly there is less distance on that side of the camera from the e dial to the VF.
05-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Man Khun Quote
Hi Dave,
Yes, I am trying to get hold of all the K-7 in Canada - then I can sell them at a much higher price!! so I can then buy more of the prime lens! just kidding!
Ha ha ha...
05-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Peter,
Something is wrong with that overhead picture. The standard K-20 eyepiece does not stick out like the one in that picture. I just checked on mine. It looks just like the K-7. The k20d in that picture must have an O-ME53 or another after market eyepiece. In fact I am almost positive it is the O-ME53 if you look at it from the back view.
Poke, you are correct. In the image in question, the K20d (augustmoon's) on the right has O-ME53 eyepiece. The K-m on the left (mine) has Nikon DK-21M eyepiece. The K-7 in the middle is stock.

Here is stock K20D vs. stock K-7 (from imaging-resource.com) *Not To Scale*:

Maybe we can convince Peter not to leave.
05-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #43
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I should take a deep breath before typing...
05-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #44
Inactive Account

I should take a deep breath before typing...
I shoot with my left eye only as well, something that is immeasurably easier with the O-ME53, or similar magnifier/extenders on other cameras.
05-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #45

Pentax Poke, Yeah I may have posted that too early in the morning the eye cup is different than the standard one. It does stick out more. Another member is going to test the camera out for me and see if it will shoot left eye comfortably. The main issue is whether it's possible to get your thumb on the AF, green button and rear e dial while still keeping the eye on the VF. Clearly there is less distance on that side of the camera from the e dial to the VF.
The camera store where I work had a K-7 for a couple of hours a week ago Friday. I too naturally use my left eye for composition and found the feel to be very much more comfortable than the K20. The K-7 will indeed take the O-ME 53 and I suspect that will boost the comfort rather substantially.