Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K 7 and that NEW battery....

.... I heard it's not the same one that goes in the K20, so is this battery so new that the K 7 will be the only camera that will be using it? Reason why I bought my k200d, AAs are available everywhere.

05-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
.... I heard it's not the same one that goes in the K20, so is this battery so new that the K 7 will be the only camera that will be using it? Reason why I bought my k200d, AAs are available everywhere.
The new battery offers a higher MiAmp than the existing battery, necessary for the improvements - BUT . . .

Reportedly the grip can take 6 AA batteries
05-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It seems that the companys that manufacture batterys are the big winners everytime a new camera is introduced. It's not just cameras either. It seems everything has to have its own special battery and charger. It's amazing how many working products are tossed aside because the batterys crapped out and replacement batterys cost more than the origional product and battery/charger combined. Power tools are the worse of all. Most become throwaways once the battery craps.
05-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
It seems that the companys that manufacture batterys are the big winners everytime a new camera is introduced. It's not just cameras either. It seems everything has to have its own special battery and charger. It's amazing how many working products are tossed aside because the batterys crapped out and replacement batterys cost more than the origional product and battery/charger combined. Power tools are the worse of all. Most become throwaways once the battery craps.
So true, that's why I'm worried about this "new" battery on the K 7, I'm not ready to shell out extra bucks for a battery grip just because it takes AAs unless this "new" battery is available at more places than just camera shops or Amazon. I'm assuming that the old battery grip for the K###D series will not be compatible with the K 7, if it is, I'll buy a used one. Is Pentax including the charger with the K 7? So many questions to ask, can't believe the number of people who are pre-ordering this camera before seeing it tested.

Barry

05-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So true, that's why I'm worried about this "new" battery on the K 7, I'm not ready to shell out extra bucks for a battery grip just because it takes AAs unless this "new" battery is available at more places than just camera shops or Amazon. I'm assuming that the old battery grip for the K###D series will not be compatible with the K 7, if it is, I'll buy a used one. Is Pentax including the charger with the K 7? So many questions to ask, can't believe the number of people who are pre-ordering this camera before seeing it tested.

Barry
  1. The new battery is more powerful,necessary for the new features, and solves the cliff-drain problem of the old battery
  2. Yes, Pentax includes the charger to fit the new battery
  3. I think it was thoughtful of Pentax to replace the storage for remote and cards (I never used that) and enable 6 AA batteries.
If I buy the new camera it will be with the new grip. I ahve 2 dozen or so rechargeable AA batteries, so the new grip costs about what 2 new batteries would cost.

I'll likely keep my K10D and three batteries, grip, remote and cards - or get a K20D.
05-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
  1. The new battery is more powerful,necessary for the new features, and solves the cliff-drain problem of the old battery
  2. Yes, Pentax includes the charger to fit the new battery
  3. I think it was thoughtful of Pentax to replace the storage for remote and cards (I never used that) and enable 6 AA batteries.
If I buy the new camera it will be with the new grip. I ahve 2 dozen or so rechargeable AA batteries, so the new grip costs about what 2 new batteries would cost.

I'll likely keep my K10D and three batteries, grip, remote and cards - or get a K20D.
I also have a ton of rechargeable AAs.

Mono, I noticed your sig mentions you have a K20MD, is this a special edition K20, I don't know about
05-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Read it again closely

Getting new batteries is a given these days. Oh well. I shelled out for one more genuine Pentax battery when I first got the K10, and later bought a Minolta version.

I'll gladly pay for new batteries if they offer more capacity (900 shots/charge! One D-LI90 would eliminate 2 D-LI50s), and I can sell the "old" batteries with the K10 if I choose to get rid of it. Two D-LI90s for the K-7 would be more than enough for me Cuts down on weight inside the bag...one less battery to charge

05-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

When I bought the K10D, upgrading from a K100D, I wasn't initially happy about moving to a proprietary battery. I had been using cameras for years that ran on AA batteries and was convinced a proprietary battery was a dumb idea.

I was wrong. The battery for the K10D/K20D carries so much charge that I've only once in the last few years had to change batteries in the camera in the middle of a shoot. That happened just recently and I'm almost certain that it was because I got confused the night before and failed to properly charge up the battery that I put in the camera at the start of the day.

I wish that I could use proprietary batteries in my flash units that held a charge as long as the camera. I do have a battery pack (takes 6 C batteries) for my couple Pentax 540 FGZ units and it's worked well, but now I use the Metz 58 more and I don't have a pack for that. Eneloops are great but I do have to change batteries in the middle of a shoot pretty often.

I guess the K7 may have the best of both worlds: proprietary battery in the body with the possibility of using AA batteries in the grip. Does anybody know if the grip will also take the proprietary battery? Or do you have to use AA in the grip?

Will
05-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #9

K-7 and NiMH's!

Hello all, my appologies if this is old news. I'm quite surprised to see that the K-7 will be the first to allow Nickel-Metal Hydride "AA"s as an alternative when using the D-BG4 battery grip!

I realize they may not have the sheer capacity if one of the proprietrry Lithium Ions, but it makes for an excellent backup plan should one get caught unprepared with fully charged batteries!

Anyone know if you can use the grip, NiMHs and no battery in the camera? I imagine so since you can do that with the K10/20Ds.

Re: battery menu:

• Select battery
Auto Select
Body First
Grip First
• AA battery type
Auto detect
Nickel-metal hydride
Alkaline
Lithium
05-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have a ton of rechargeable AAs.

Mono, I noticed your sig mentions you have a K20MD, is this a special edition K20, I don't know about
It is a 70's pro-level film camera K2 DMD, not K20 MD. Editing my sig for clarity

Not easy to read with these small fonts

05-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I can't really justify the cost of a K-7 for my needs anyway, so this comment will probably ring a little hollow. But I'm also in the AA battery camp and wouldn't consider buying a K-7 because of it's proprietary batteries. The grip's a non-starter for me because of bulk and weight.

Reasons why I prefer AA's:

a) The new low self-discharge NiMH batteries are in the same performance league as Li-IONs.

b) The AA form factor gives me a choice of battery technologies, including super long-lasting disposable Lithium batteries for treks away from power sources.

c) I can use a smart charger that reports battery capacities and has test and refresh modes.

d) AAs are ubiquitous and cheap.

e) A camera that takes AA batteries is much, much less likely to become obsolete because the proprietary batteries are no longer available.

f) As a matter of principle, I object to the idea of manufacturers tying you into a proprietary battery.
05-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like others have said yes it's proprietary. I have buckets of Eneloop AA cells and a couple of good chargers, these batteries fit my *ist D, flashes, torches and autonomous bulk storage device and I can charge batteries in my vehicle when travelling.

When I finally decided to go the K10/K20 route I resigned myself to the fact that I'd need to invest in yet another charger and batteries which I did though my *ist D still remains my second body and tends to be most used due to the K20 bulk. If I move to the K7 I suspect it will cost me a fortune as the K20 may have to go due to the difference in batteries.

Why they opted to implement obviously dated battery technology (NP-400 has been around since at least 2003) in the K10/20 baffles me.
05-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
When I bought the K10D, upgrading from a K100D, I wasn't initially happy about moving to a proprietary battery. I had been using cameras for years that ran on AA batteries and was convinced a proprietary battery was a dumb idea.

I was wrong. The battery for the K10D/K20D carries so much charge that I've only once in the last few years had to change batteries in the camera in the middle of a shoot. That happened just recently and I'm almost certain that it was because I got confused the night before and failed to properly charge up the battery that I put in the camera at the start of the day.

I wish that I could use proprietary batteries in my flash units that held a charge as long as the camera. I do have a battery pack (takes 6 C batteries) for my couple Pentax 540 FGZ units and it's worked well, but now I use the Metz 58 more and I don't have a pack for that. Eneloops are great but I do have to change batteries in the middle of a shoot pretty often.

I guess the K7 may have the best of both worlds: proprietary battery in the body with the possibility of using AA batteries in the grip. Does anybody know if the grip will also take the proprietary battery? Or do you have to use AA in the grip?

Will

Having bought a K10D, a couple years ago, I'd never switch back to AA's. The rechargeable AA's don't match up at all. Not even close.

lithium Ion batteries *require* circuitry that stop drawing power before the battery loses charge to avoid destroying the battery's integrity.

People want to complain, they should complaint that most (if not every) AA device lacks this circuitry.

Here's what I want to know. Does the K7 on rechargeable lithium Ion AA have the correct circuitry to avoid damaging the batteries?

Last edited by konraDarnok; 05-23-2009 at 08:31 PM.
05-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Having bought a K10D, a couple years ago, I'd never switch back to AA's. The rechargeable AA's don't match up at all. Not even close.
Have you any experience with Eneloop batteries coupled with a good charger such as the BC-900?

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Here's what I want to know. Does the K7 on rechargeable lithium Ion AA have the correct circuitry to avoid damaging the batteries?
There are no rechargeable lithium Ion AA cells that I know of and it's quite easy to design a circuit that disallows AA batteries to be completely depleted, whether Pentax have done this on the K7 remains to be seen.
05-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Why they opted to implement obviously dated battery technology (NP-400 has been around since at least 2003) in the K10/20 baffles me.
Three words - zero development cost.