Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #1

Autofocus problem with K10D

I am currently using my K10D with the 21mm DA Limited lens, almost exclusively. Mostly, I have it set for Manual Focus, mainly because of the subject matter (primarily scenics) and because I am used to manual focus. Today, I set the camera to AF-S for some action shots but the lens would not autofocus. Upon half-press, the lens focus ring would quickly rotate to the closest distance setting, then rotate to infinity and stay there. The focus confirmation indicator in the viewfinder would just flash. This was in bright light so it was not a matter of the camera and lens hunting for the focus. It happens with the camera set to AF-C too.

This odd behavior now occurs with the other lens I have, the 18-55mm kit lens. And it doesn't matter whether the autofocus area is Auto, Select, or Center. Before today, I never had any problem with autofocus with either lens.

Manual focus works fine though I don't see the focus confirmation in the viewfinder anymore. I tended to ignore that in any event.

By the way, the camera still has firmware 1.0.

It seems like the camera needs to go to the Pentax service center but I wanted to check here first. Can anyone help?

Richard

04-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps you might try to reset the camera to it's original state and see if the problem is solved in that manner.Pg.201 and 202 in the manual.
04-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KennJ Quote
Perhaps you might try to reset the camera to it's original state and see if the problem is solved in that manner.Pg.201 and 202 in the manual.
Tried that. No effect on problem.
04-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It has to be said - if you point the camera at a blank wall, or the sky, it CAN'T focus, because the autofocus programming relies on identifying maximum contrast and it sees no contrast.

Other than that, I got nuthin.

04-22-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

2 questions and a posible solution

1. How old is your Camera?
2. How long since you charged your battery?

I have noticed that with the K10D and the DLi50 that as soon as the battery gets low, or has not be conditioned properly, ie 4-5 good charge and discharge cycles the some of the key systems in the camera tend to be hit and miss, i find that when the battery gets low, SR and AF become very inaccurate, to the point that the AF can and will refuse to lock, this is the only thing that i can think of which isn't a faulty camera.

The other option i can think of but this will only work if you know of someone whom also has a K10D is to test your lenses on their camera and vice verse, that way you can figure whether or not it is a quirk of your camera ie a fault or something else at play, like a depleted battery.
04-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Does sound like a mechanical/electrical failure. AF sensor is in a well at the bottom of the mirror box. Might just be dirty. It's about the only non-broken part possibility that I can guess at.......Others, as in burnt out sensor/circuit, are more likely.
04-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ok, I called Pentax this morning and they said it to send it to them. Thankfully I have other cameras I can use in its absence.

Richard

04-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Funny - taking indoor photos today and the AF was being really weird too. Wasn't going through the range but was focusing a metre too close.
04-24-2007, 02:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Firmware Update

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
I am currently using my K10D with the 21mm DA Limited lens, almost exclusively. Mostly, I have it set for Manual Focus, mainly because of the subject matter (primarily scenics) and because I am used to manual focus. Today, I set the camera to AF-S for some action shots but the lens would not autofocus. Upon half-press, the lens focus ring would quickly rotate to the closest distance setting, then rotate to infinity and stay there. The focus confirmation indicator in the viewfinder would just flash. This was in bright light so it was not a matter of the camera and lens hunting for the focus. It happens with the camera set to AF-C too.

This odd behavior now occurs with the other lens I have, the 18-55mm kit lens. And it doesn't matter whether the autofocus area is Auto, Select, or Center. Before today, I never had any problem with autofocus with either lens.

Manual focus works fine though I don't see the focus confirmation in the viewfinder anymore. I tended to ignore that in any event.

By the way, the camera still has firmware 1.0.

It seems like the camera needs to go to the Pentax service center but I wanted to check here first. Can anyone help?

Richard
Hello Richard;

May I suggest you update to the newest Firmware that being v. 1.11 and give it another try.
PENTAX DIGITAL CAMERA INFORMATION PAPER
04-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi Ben:

I thought of that but I'm inclined to think this is an electrical problem, not something that can be fixed with a firmware upgrade. But I may give it a try before sending it to Pentax. Meanwhile, I'm using my other K10D body. No problems with that one - so far. Thanks for the suggestion.

Richard
04-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Dumb...But?

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
Hi Ben:

I thought of that but I'm inclined to think this is an electrical problem, not something that can be fixed with a firmware upgrade. But I may give it a try before sending it to Pentax. Meanwhile, I'm using my other K10D body. No problems with that one - so far. Thanks for the suggestion.

Richard
On occasion, I would remove the lens and putting it back on and bayonetting it a bit more aggressively to make sure the contact is snug. With my 16-45 it once happened and worked afterwards. Therefore it was a contact problem. Be sure to turn off camera before doing so.

Ben
04-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #12

Original Poster
Hi Ben:

I did the firmware upgrade but still no autofocus, as I expected. Then I tried your "aggressive bayonetting" trick, several times. Still no autofocus. Thanks anyway.

Richard
04-25-2007, 03:09 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
I have noticed that with the K10D and the DLi50 that as soon as the battery gets low, or has not be conditioned properly, ie 4-5 good charge and discharge cycles the some of the key systems in the camera tend to be hit and miss, i find that when the battery gets low, SR and AF become very inaccurate, to the point that the AF can and will refuse to lock, this is the only thing that i can think of which isn't a faulty camera.

I've read that this is the issue with what many feel is lackluster low light auto focusing. Makes sense powerwise, but if that's the case it kicks in pretty darn soon.

Hey Old Timer 56, since you have another body, did you try switching batteries between the two to see if the focus quirk followed the battery?

As an audio guy my tendency is to pull things out (everything that isn't nailed down) and put them back in and if there are any newly visible contacts to clean them. Modern cameras aren't as likely candiates as old ones, but sometimes hope springs eternal.

Keep us posted!

R

Last edited by rboy; 04-25-2007 at 05:27 PM.
04-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #14

Original Poster
I tried some test shots in AF in bright light as well as with a freshly charged battery. Still nothing.

I haven't sent the camera to Pentax yet. I wonder what the turnaround time will be for the repair. PhotoTech here in NY says they aren't "trained on the K10D" yet so it will have to go to Colorado. I guess I'm delaying in this, hoping against hope that someone will have an answer no one else has thought of.

Richard
04-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #15

Bummer. If anyone else had told you that I would have said take it to PhotoTech.

You'd think Pentax (*cough, cough*) would get whatever repair training materials for a camera that's been out for several months. I'm sure there are plenty of prospective NYC K10D buyers who would hold off when they find out it can't be repaired in the city that doesn't sleep. Including, um, maybe me.