Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2007, 02:36 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The Malykh tool floats around in several different versions. There is the first I heard of, for the DS PEF files, a modified version (by GordonBGood) than can read most DNG files and then the updated PEF analyzer I used for the K10D PEF files.

If you find the output from the PEF analyzer strange (no greens for example) you have the wrong version.

The tools comes with no installer and there should be one file called
malykh-gbg-dng.cmd (in the case of the DNG analyzer) or
malykh-pef.cmd (in the case of the new PEF analyzer)

In the same directory as the command file above there should be two directories, "classes" and "source" (This is a Java util). If you place a K10D PEF file, or several, there along with the cmd file and double click the later you'll get the GIF picture(s). This is in Windows XP.

04-25-2007, 02:44 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stomie Quote
Hi there Jonas, thanks for this work. ... -snip- ...For an absolute global solution it would be interesting to confirm or fine tune the accuracy of your software findings via a hardware solution like Printfix Pro or (my personal choice) X-Rite
Thank you Stomie, again.
I don't think one should read too much into this little K5000-idea. To me it is just a good way for better exposure control in critical situations, or situations where we have some dominant color. With the DS it happened that I came back home and had a chennel way blown, despite of holding back the exposure. Now I know when I need to take more alternate exposures. Of course, those having spent more time with the K10D have probably allready found their ways with it.

all the best,

QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
Thanks for taking the time to share your findings with us.

Have you thought about setting up a website for these kinds of posts? It would be nice to have this kind of stuff all in one place instead of buried in a forum that only allows searching sporadically.
Thank you Walter. No, I haven't thought about a web site. Or more correct; I looked into it briefly (but thinking of pictures then). Nah, it's not for me. I don't have that much to say.

kindly,
04-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Thank you Cideway,

Lol - I guess one interested out of 100 views is ok. Pretty close to a total waste of bandwidth though...
Well i would have posted a reply on DP, but still banned from over there, but i digress, i haven't had a chance to experiment with your findings yet but i gather that you set the camera to 5000K and get a more accurate idea of the consitance between the channels even under variable lighting conditions, that almost sounds too good to be true, when i get a chance i'll have to try it out.