Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K100D Super

The PENTAX K100D Super added support for lenses with built-in autofocus motor (SDM lenses). Other than that the camera is identical to the K100D.

Pentax K100D Super
Year introduced
Availability
Discontinued
Mount
KAF2 (without coupling for aperture ring)
Meter range
1 to 21.5 EV
Meter pattern
m (16 segments) c s
ISO range (expanded)
200 - 3200
Expanded dynamic range
No
Exposure modes
AutoPict., P, Av, Tv, M, B
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M
Program modes
Normal, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Action, Night-scene Portrait, Flash Off
Scene Modes
8: Night Scene, Surf and Snow, Text, Sunset, Kids, Pet, Candlelight, Museum
Exposure compensation
+/-2 EV
Exposure lock
Yes
Shutter speeds (auto)
30s - 1/4000s (stepless)
Shutter speeds (manual)
B, 30s - 1/4000s
Mirror lock-up
Yes
Self timer / Interval shooting
Yes / No
Continuous shooting
2.8 fps up to 5 frames
Shake reduction
Yes
Auto bracketing
Yes (3 frames)
HDR mode
No
Multiple exposures
No
Built-in flash
Yes, GN 15.6 (ISO 200)
TTL flash
No
P-TTL flash
Yes
Sync speed
1/180s
Flash exposure comp
-2 to 1 EV
Extra external flash functions
Wireless, High-speed, Contrast control
Autofocus
Yes (SAFOX VIII, 11 focus points)
Autofocus sensitivity
0 to 19 EV
Autofocus with SDM
Yes
AF Assist
No
Front/Back focus corr
No
Power zoom
unknown
Lens correction
No
Viewfinder
0.85x, 96%
Viewfinder type
Pentamirror
Diopter adjustment
-2.5 to +1.5
AF Points in viewfinder
Yes
Exchangeable screen
No
Depth of field preview
Yes
Digital preview
Yes
Live view
No
Video/Movie Mode
No
Movie mode restrictions
Not applicable
Sound in Movie mode
Not applicable
Camera controls
1 control wheel. Most functions accessed through menus
Custom Functions
Sensor
6.1 MP CCD
Image size
15.8 x 23.6 mm
Color Depth
3 x 12 bit (RAW)
Dust removal / alert
No / No
Pixel mapping
No
File format
PEF, JPG
Memory card type
SD, SDHC
Tethering
No
Back LCD
2.5 in. 210,000 pix
Top LCD
Yes
Weather resistant
No
Battery
4 x AA
Battery grip
No
Size (W x H x D)
129.5 X 92.5 X 70 mm
Weight
560 g
Latest firmware
No update has been released

Attached Images

Last edited by Ole; 02-12-2011 at 02:05 PM.
05-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The little camera that could! The K100D Super is the last camera ever produced with the old, reliable 6MP sensor shared by every camera in the *istDx and K1xx lines, and as such the most featureful. It shares SDM support, shake and dust reduction features with its more modern cousins. The sensor is old but works very well. JPEG processing in the K1xx series has been decidedly improved compared to the old *istD series, which brings out the sensor's strengths even more. Users of higher resolution APS-C cameras may be surprised at just how clean the images are up to ISO 800.

The K100D Super is compact for a DSLR, yet pretty sturdy. It fits well in the hand. The control scheme is well designed and feels logical (FAR better than Canon here!) though it does not have as many dedicated buttons and dials as the higher-end K10D/K20D/K-7 cameras.

The K100D's true sensitivity range is ISO 200-1600. There is a 3200 setting, but it is actually 1600 pushed a stop in firmware and dramatically worse than 1600. If you need 3200, it is much better to shoot RAW 1600 with -1 EV comp and push it in post-processing. At ISO 200 and 400 the picture is essentially noise-free. ISO 800 is immensely usable for almost all purposes, and 1600 is better than on Pentax 10MP bodies.

At the end of the day, the K100D Super measures up to, and in many respects beats, any other entry level to mid range 6 MP DSLR body. In 2009 it is still a good buy for the beginner or frugal enthusiast as it can be had for as little as $250-350 with lens, and compared to the stalwart of 6 MP cameras, the Nikon D40, it is easily the better camera by virtue of its lens compatibility, the shake reduction, 11 AF points, and more. Its main weaknesses compared to the competition is poor auto white balance and lack of an AF assist light. Either way, the K100D Super is a fun, hard-working camera with great image quality.

Pros:
+ Cheap and cheerful
+ Fun to use
+ Lens compatibility
+ Generous amount of AF points
+ Great image quality up to ISO 800
+ Sturdy build, handles well
+ Shake reduction
+ AA batteries -- good battery life with Eneloops, can use Alkalines in a pinch

Cons:
- No AF assist light
- Auto WB indoors is downright terrible -- always set manual WB if shooting JPEG
- "ISO 3200" largely unusable
- AF performance sometimes questionable; rarely a show-stopper
- Smallish viewfinder (still good compared to the competition)
- Crippled K-mount (all Pentax DSLRs share this weakness)
05-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K100D Super Camera Review

Pros Excellent IQ, compact, lightweight, shake reduction, SDM contacts
Cons Not weather sealed, small memory buffer
Rating 9
Price about $220 USD
Years Owned 3 months

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
Excellent bang for the buck!
Excellent resolution from a 6.1 MP camera that will give some higher pixel count camera's a run for the money!
SR in the K100 series
SDM compatible
Focus point indicators
AA batteries
Small/compact size
Rather light weight
Rather quick focusing (on par with my fiance's Nikon D3000, kit lenses compared)
RAW file write speed a little slow, helps to have fastest SDHC card possible (Extreme III in my case)

Camera Review
I bought this camera as a replacement for my Samsung Gx- 20 (Pentax K20D clone) which was stolen on a vacation. I was kinda skeptical about the lower pixel count and with my budget I really couldn't afford much else . When my K100D Super arrived, I was really shocked at the IQ that this little camera could achieve with a 6.1 MP sensor!

It had me pulling up my Gx-20 pictures and pixel peeping! I have to say that especially when shooting in RAW the K100D Super rivals my fiance's Nikon D3000 with a 10 MP sensor in terms of IQ.

I like having AA batteries as a power source because they are readily available at almost any shop and I like not being stuck with proprietary batteries. The down side to this is that the AA batteries add to weight and are a little bulkier then a proprietary battery.

The overall size of the K100D Super makes it a rather compact camera, much much smaller and lighter than my Gx-20. That in turn makes it much easier to carry all day long, especially if equipped with a DA limited or FA limited lenses.

ISO performance is good and I would have to say that it is a little better than my Gx-20 especially at the 800-1600 ISO range. It's base ISO is only 200. Before the K-x The K100D Super was the high ISO camera for Pentax.

Auto WB is blah at best. WB should be sent manually as the camera gets confused easily in changing light situations and in situations where incandescent lights and fluorescent lights are used.

The memory buffer is rather small limiting the amount of continuous RAW shots to 3 shots. If you have a fast writing SD card such as the SanDisk Extreme III with a 20mb/s read/write time or the newer 30 mb/s versions then it shouldn't be too big of a problem. I would not recommend the use of SD or SDHC cards slower than 20mb/s read/write speeds as the memory buffer's performance will hinder the rate at which photos can be taken. This is my only one real complaint about the camera.

I miss having the weather sealing of the Gx-20. Though, I have taken my K100D Super into light mist and it did fine. Though without the sealing I'm rather hesitant to push my luck.

In conclusion, I really have to recommend the K100D Super to anyone on the market for a great first time camera, back-up camera, even as a replacement camera (in my case) to pick up the K100D Super. It's a fantastic little camera with a compact size, shake reduction, readily available power source (AA batteries), SDM compatibility, and excellent IQ to boot! It's not a perfect camera though as it does have a small memory buffer that can hinder it's performance. It's of course much more noticeable when slower SD/SDHC cards are used. Stick to the faster memory cards to mitigate the problem .

I have no regrets picking this camera up and in fact I sure am glad I did
A rather excellent all around camera!
03-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K100D Super Camera Review

Pros It's a Pentax, for God's Sake, get your hands on it!
Cons Probably many, but the pros are making them unmentionable
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) 300
Years Owned 3 Months

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
This camera overrun easily Nikon D40, Canon 1000D, and Sony Alpha 230 in terms of image and build quality. Nothing even comes close.

This camera's ability to tackle low light and better overall image tone is still admired by those who even uses newer Pentax bodies.

This camera, although not labeled 'weather resistant', can withstand rough conditions. It will not give up on you easily.

This camera, like many Pentax's, once in your hands will feel like a real photographic tool, not a piece of plastic.

This camera, paired with a correct glass and a 'good eye', will make you perform magic easily, photographically speaking.

This camera will not make you regret every penny you spent on it. It's worth much more than its price.

Camera Review

Many things had been said, but many things this camera is, and even more. This is not really a 'review' with many technical details. This is a more like romantic story of me and my Pentax K100DS. It goes like this:

I was stepping up from the the 'super zoom' digital camera a few months back. Being a student, I only had a few a bucks to spend on a hobby like this, so I went looking for an entry-level DSLR. I have not a single idea that this search will take quite a long way. I went from Canon 1000D, to Sony Alpha 230, and then tried Nikon D40. Non of them stayed more than a week in my possession, they always went back to the local pawnshop, where I got them from. Those are fine cameras, budget-wise, too. But, something is missing.. I'm always stuck with a camera and a kit lens and a not so heart-warming output pictures. I went looking for lenses, a more sophisticated lens rather than just a kit lens. Went though many camera stores to numbers of on-line markets. No luck, either nothing suits my pocket, or nothing really amazes my senses in terms of IQ. I almost going to give up at the time I began to notice these 'odd' lenses lying in every corner I went. I've known Pentax before, It was like a thing from an old, black and white movies for me. Then I found out that modern Pentax DSLR bodies really can accept those piece of glass from the old days, in no hassle! Long story it is, a long search indeed, but here I am, holding a K100DS with a (few.. and still counting ha ha) great glass, a combination that had put many of my friends (and their expensive gears) to shame..

Last edited by minahasa; 04-08-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Closed Thread