Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my K200D a little over a month ago and absolutely love it. I finally burned through the first set of Energizers yesterday after well over 1,000 pictures so, even though those batteries are a bit expensive, it is a whole lot cheaper then having film developed. I bought this one because I could use my older Pentax lenses and because it was weather sealed. I will say that this camera is a lot heavier then I expected when I ordered it on-line. This is my first dslr having only owned film slrs and point and shoots before this one. But, after having lugged it all over Nevada and overseas as well I have to say that I don't find the weight a big deal.

Even though I am pretty much an amateur, the pictures I get with this camera are very good, and I even think that some of them are real keepers. I know I am new to this digital game but I have read some of the posts regarding the lack of a high iso as a bit amusing. Prior to this camera I had never shot any film with a higher iso than 800 so when I learned that this one had the ability to shoot at 1600 iso I was amazed. So far, although there may be a touch more noise in my pictures at 1600 iso, I have not been disappointed.

All the lenses I owned for the MX50 have worked out great. Interestingly, I had noticed some focus difficulties with my film camera with my 80-320mm telephoto but I had thought that it was a problem with my own technique. After having used that same lens on this digital I have learned that the infinity focus on that telephoto is a bit out of whack and I sent it back to Pentax for repair. It took quite a bit of experimenting at different apertures and shutter speeds to pin this down and the fact that I didn't have to pay a fortune to develop all those pictures is what allowed me to discover this problem. I am also able to use my older manual focus lenses (even though I actually had to read the manual for that one) and this was a major selling point for me. Some of my finest film era pix have come from those old manual lenses.

Since I am a hobbyist I expect that this camera will do everything I need for a very long time, my film camera satisfied me for almost 20 years and I have no doubt that this one will do likewise. Who knows what will be available by then?

This shot of one of granddaughters is one of my keepers -

09-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #17

I have had my K200d for about 6 weeks and am constantly amazed at its capabilities. The pity is I have only scratched the surface of what the camera is able to do,I,m finding out that the more I think I know ,the more I have to learn. I have 8 lens from my spotmatic,SF.7 and isT days and its fun using them in manual and auto modes. As well as being a member of these forums I also joined DPreview,Whirlpool,DPS,and others and have found members more than willing to help,my cup runneth over. Thank you to all....Jay.
09-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Excellent camera

I bought my K200D about 9 months ago (after selling my Canon EOS350D) and I have not been sad with my decision even for a second.

At most of the times, I used my K200D with Sigma DC 18-50mm EX Macro lens and the images have been more than superb.

I took a lot of indoor photos (e.g., functions and portraits) and my gear has made the activities so pleasing
11-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Great Quality Camera!

My first DSLR was an *istDL back in 06. Well, after I saw the K20 and K200 come out, I knew that I wanted to upgrade. After much research, I purchased the K200.

I absolutely love this camera. I purchased it directly from Pentax since I used to work in a camera store and with this transaction I got a great deal, along w/ a sling bag and grip.

First off, the kit lens is awesome. It is one of the sharpest kit lens you can get. I was so amazed at the quality and clarity of each shot. In addition, the functions and menus are excellent. I do mostly studio work, so I don't have an issue w/ low light focusing.

Last edited by Pentaxian210; 11-02-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Add more info
12-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I just finished a photoshoot today and I have to say, I am very impressed w/ the K200D w/ DA 50-200 lens! When the shoot was over, I reviewed the images, and they are crisp and clean. I've had this camera for just over a year now and I cannot be happier. Yes, I do want the K7 or KX, but unless the KX gets a battery grip, I'm not buying it.

One thing I really love about my K200 is the feel and weight. I have the battery grip w/ it, and when that's attached it has a great feel to it. My Eneloop batteries last a long time and got me thru the shoot today. I always have my Energizer rechargeables in the grip, but barely ever have to use them (BTW, those don't last very long). Furthermore, the image quality was simply amazing. I must post some after post processing.

Yes, I do want to "upgrade" to the K7, but this K200D is really doing me some justice right about now.
02-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #21

Love my K200d

The K200D is my first DSLR, and I would consider myself an amateur/hobbyist photographer. The K200d is a great camera, and I LOVE it. I would buy it again given the price and alternatives at the time I purchased it in 2008

everyone posts what they like about the camera- here are things I don't like about it. I acknowledge that many problems are common to all dSLRs and the industry as a whole, but I still feel the need to point them out.

it is big and heavy. people traditionally associate heavy cameras with better cameras, but this is a trend that I don't like. it is like the megapixel game. it doesn't do anything to help people take pictures. if anything, it makes it less likely for me to bring my camera. I am glad panasonic has the micro four thirds format that skips the optical viewfinder/mirror. I think this is the future and I hope pentax adopts this new camera format.

the buttons/menu system is poorly designed. Canon cameras have one button for toggling iso, single/multi shot, or timer. I know the K7 implemented this, but the K200d still requires you to press the function button in order to access the menu where all of this can be changed.

There is no easy way to have a bracketed timer shot. The bracket shot function can be selected instead of a timed shot, not together. this is annoying.

long exposure shots drains all the batteries. This is an engineering problem that is not unique to pentax and I don't know if it could be solved, but I brought 2 sets of fully recharged batteries to a dark sky site in hoping to capture some star trails. My camera ate up both sets of rechargeable batteries within 1 hour of photography. I know that it is rated 500+ shots with rechargeables, but this translates to only about 20-30 minutes of extended long exposure shooting. This is annoying.

The K200D also has a pentamirror. Pentax should have spent a few more $$ and put a pentaprism in the viewfinder. I plan on keeping my K200D for years and sometimes I wonder if I shoudl have just purchased a used K10D instead.
05-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #22

Pentax K200D Camera Review

Cons no live view, slow burst mode
Pros AA battery use, ease of use
Rating 9
Price $500
Years Owned 1 1/2 years

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
Great camera for the first time DSLR user. Fits perfectly in my big hands.

Camera Review
This was my first dslr, after having owned and used Pentax film slrs for many years. I started out on a K1000 back in the 80's, moved to an MeSuper, and eventually had a Super program, all of which I liked. There was no question in my mind that I would be moving to a Pentax dslr when the time came, and I chose this model after some research on my own. It had nearly all the features I was looking for, and the price was within my budget. It was easy to get started with, and I guess I can just say I like this camera. It uses all of my existing Pentax glass, and it feels comfortable in my hands and easy to use.

05-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Pros Build, ergonomics, top LCD, easy menu, SR (more effective than my K-7's), cheap, weathersealed
Cons slow burst rate, no live view, ISO 1600 isn't the greatest
Rating 8
Price $580ish
Years Owned 1+

Camera Review
For the price, this camera was the top of the pack for all brands IMO when it was in its hay day. It still is the only entry level camera to ever be weathersealed, and to my knowledge the only to ever have a top LCD (or atleast it was). Both of these are very important to me, so this camera was a no brainer.

Its very user friendly, and easy to work with. It is also compact, but not to small ala K-m or K-x. With the battery grip, this is one of the best fealing camera's I've ever held (and I own a K-7). Plus the battery grip is extremely cheap (cost me $35 in its hay day). Not having live view didn't bother me, until I owned a camera that did have it. Now I really miss that when I use my K200d from time to time. Also the fact that you cannot go above ISO 1600 in a pinch can be pottentially limiting, but not to me. high iso on this camera is great if you shoot in B&W, as the grain is very much like film (one of my faorite aspects of the camera actually).

Overall bang for your buck, this camera can't be beat Click on my flickr link in my signature to see shots with the K200d. Basically anything taken over a week ago is with the K200d.

(edit: As for AA's, well im buying the K-7 grip just so I can use them with that camera also. That should tell you my perspective)
05-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Pros Well made and WR
Cons only 1 dial
Rating 9
Price 680
Years Owned 2

Its weather sealed. It has excellent shutter speed range and can be used in Tv, AV, M etc. It also can work with AA Lithium batteries or some of the better quality rechargeable batteries. Some people whine and moan wanting an overpriced proprietary battery system that requires batteries that cost as much as an auto battery . . .

Camera Review
This body replaced my tired Nikon. I had still been using my aging Pentax film gear. This allowed me to integrate Pentax digital and film on a trial bases without mortgaging the farm. 4 months later I added a K20d and MZ-3 film body. This is the best dSLR on the market in its class when it came out and still is.

Last edited by Blue; 06-17-2010 at 04:58 PM.
05-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #25
rkt

Pros great build, top LCD, handling
Cons low light?
Rating 8
Price EUR 700 as a kit
Years Owned 14 months

Great build, top LCD is useful, contols are well thought out.

Camera Review
It was a sure winner when I started looking for a first DSLR... and when I held it along with a D60 and a 450D... you could see that this is a solid camera which would go further... when bought, it was possibly the best value for money deal going at the time ... and I could not have been happier.
05-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #26

Pros sealed, ergonomics, easy to handle, very solid, price/performance
Cons low speed burst mode, no live view
Rating 9
Price 540$
Years Owned 15 months

Great value for its price, unbeatable in this field.

Camera Review
I bought this camera 15 months ago, I made around 7200 exposures, and I`m really satisfied with it. I chose Pentax K200D because compared to its competitors it gave much more for the same price. My friend who owns a Canon 400D was surprised when he tried the Pentax.
I haven`t met with the problem with the low battery life; I have been using the same batteries and I can make 650-700 expos with one charge.
Mostly I shoot nature photos, the weather sealing is very useful (and you usually don`t get it with a camera of this category). Sometimes it got dirty and wet out there, and one time I tumbled down on a slippery and muddy river bank with the camera in my hand, but there was no problem.
I only miss the live view mode, when making macro shots from tricky angles, and higher speed burst mode.
Overall, I think this is the best camera in its category, and made me a Pentax fan, so my next camera will be Pentax, too!

Last edited by zombor; 09-22-2010 at 04:46 AM.
06-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Pros Weather sealing, build quality, top lcd, wireless flash control
Cons Bulky, slow autofocus, dim viewfinder w/little coverage
Rating 7
Price 600 CAD
Years Owned 1.5

A great value at 600 CAD in Nov '08, the 100-1600 ISO is a bit limiting compared to today's cameras, but the overall feature set is still class-leading, IMHO.

Camera Review
The K200D is a solid and versatile camera that is useful in any situation due to its IR, wireless off-camera flash control, weather/dust seals and clean ergonomics.

I feel it is let down by the dim / low magnification viewfinder and the slow autofocus. That said, I've never missed a shot that wasn't in some way my fault, and the results when shooting RAW are nothing short of compelling.
07-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Pros lots of features, weather-resistant, top LCD
Cons slow AF in low light, FPS, no MF/AF.S/AF.C selector
Rating 8
Price $550
Years Owned 1

Great value for the features, build quality, and size.

Camera Review
This was the first SLR camera I ever had, so this is pretty much a short n00b review. I am quite comfortable with the weight of the camera. It produces very nice images in cooperation with the FA 50/1.4 and FA 35/2 that I use on it. Slow AF in low light, but what camera in this class doesn't? In rapid fire mode, I can't get more than 3 or 4 RAW images in before the camera needs to stop to digest. Would be nice if it spit the images through the buffer more quickly. Or maybe that's a function of my Sandisk Ultra II.

I never had a camera with two control wheels, so I have never sat there thinking "boy it'd sure be nice if I had another dial." I get by fine without it, although I'm sure it'd be nice to have. Top LCD is very helpful. I think I would miss it if I didn't have it.

I don't care that there's no live view because I don't think I'd use it.

One thing I have coveted from other Pentax models, though, is the manual / autofocus selector options of MF / AF.S / AF.C. I have to do several button presses to switch between AF modes. Not a huge deal but it'd be much easier to do it with one click.
08-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #29

Pros Good battery life
Cons Nothing
Rating 10
Price 6000 Swedish crowns
Years Owned 2 years

I can recommend this camera
: Yes

I like it very much, easy to use.

Camera Review
This is my third digital Pentax, My first was an O330 that my grandson managed to destroy, the I bought a 750Z still in use.
My K200D I bought with en excellent Tamron 18-200 mm lens.
I bought my first mecanical Pentax in 1972 and there were three more to follow. So I have been a "Pentaxian" since 1972!
Done a lot of work in black and white with other cameras since 1951. Sorry to say that all my darkroom equipment is not in use anymomore due to lack of good copy paper!
08-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Pros Top LCD, battery grip, weather sealing
Cons no live view (but really... that doesnt matter much)
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 590
Years Owned 20 months

1) Unbeatable value for the features.
2) Perhaps a tad heavy if you're a bit arthritic in the wrists
3) Reliable, reliable, reliable!

Camera Review
I bought this as my first digital SLR, coming from superzoom bridge cameras. I found it difficult to make the adjustment at first, and, because I bought it so cheaply (on special at a local electronics shop) I really didn't expect that I would still be using it nearly two years down the track. I *did* expect to make a switch to Canon, Nikon or Olympus... but they were not in my tiny price range at the time.

Needless to say I have given up seriously considering the others, because the K200D has been everything I want, and everything I need. I have a small (but growing) collection of lenses, nothing startling, but it all works. I bought a Kx a few months back, being smitten by the "gotta have it" bug... but I sold that yesterday... for me, the K200D is the better of the two cameras. It might only be a 10MP (who needs more... seriously... ) and its sensor may not be top of the range (correct exposure means that it doesn't matter that much), but it *is* weather sealed and it feels solid.

Can't recommend it highly enough, but stopped short of a 10, just because nothing is that perfect .
Closed Thread