Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K200D Silver - Specs

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/110937-pentax...-compared.html

Pentax K200D
Year introduced
Availability
Discontinued
Mount
KAF2 (exposure mode limitations with M and K series lenses)
Meter range
0 to 21 EV
Meter pattern
m (16 segments) c s
ISO range (expanded)
100 - 1600
Expanded dynamic range
Yes
Exposure modes
AutoPict., SCN, P, Sv, Av, Tv, M, B
Exposure compensation
+/-3 EV
Exposure lock
Yes
Shutter speeds (auto)
30s - 1/4000s (stepless)
Shutter speeds (manual)
B, 30s - 1/4000s
Self timer
Yes
Mirror lock-up
Yes
Continuous shooting
Hi: 2.8 fps up to 4 frames (JPG and RAW)
Lo: 1.1 fps until card is full (JPG), up tp 4 frames (RAW)
Auto bracketing
Yes
HDR mode
No
Multiple exposures
No
Built-in flash
Yes, GN 13
TTL flash
No
P-TTL flash
Yes
Sync speed
1/180s
Flash exposure comp
-2 to 1 EV
Autofocus
Yes (11 points)
Autofocus sensitivity
-1 to 18 EV
Autofocus with SDM
Yes
AF Assist
Yes, stroboscopic flash
Front/Back focus corr
No
Power zoom
No
Lens correction
No
Viewfinder
0.86x, 95%
Viewfinder type
Pentamirror
Diopter adjustment
-2.5 to +1.5
AF Points in viewfinder
Yes
Exchangeable screen
No
Depth of field preview
Yes
Digital preview
Yes
Live view
No
Video/Movie Mode
No
Camera controls
1 control wheel. Most functions accessed through menus
Custom Functions
Shake reduction
Yes
Dust removal / alert
Yes / Yes
Pixel mapping
Yes
Image size
16 x 24 mm
Sensor
10.2 MP CCD
File format
DNG, PEF, JPG
Memory card type
SD, SDHC
Tethering
No
Back LCD
2.7 in. 230,000 pix
Top LCD
Yes
Weather resistant
Yes
Battery
4 x AA
Battery grip
D-BG3 with 4x AA
Size (W x H x D)
133.5 x 95 x 74 mm
Weight
630 g

Comment
Program modes: Normal, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Action, Night-scene portrait. 8 scene modes.

Extra flash functions: Wireless, High-speed, Contrast control.

Exposure modes with M and K lenses: Restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M.

Attached Images

Last edited by Ole; 10-09-2010 at 07:17 PM.
05-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
So, we are posting comments here etc?

Well, the most annoying thing: batteries + AF. Ok, Enelops are solving most of the problems, but even with used Lithium batteries there are nothing. Lithium are wotrking on 1,5 V, NiMH on 1,3 max. The difference is visible in AF work. Maybe correction of firmware would solve that (AF algorythms?) but at the moments this is the worst thing in the camera...
Well that's the annoying parts, batteries do last a long time if you get lithiums. The AF seems to seek a lot, but only is ever a problem in low light only.

The camera is extremely well made, feels great in your hand, has top quality glass, and a top lcd display which are what beat it over the competitors in the entry level segment. The screen could have been a 3.0", but it still wouldn't have been 920,000 px. so it's no big deal. The 2.7" screen is bright and the menus are easy to use for the most part. Also, the software GUI is pretty impressive.

Things I like:
Build quality - makes the competitors feel like toys... seriously
Lenses - I can use any k-mount lens ever? Awesome and pro glass at an affordable price
Top LCD - great, could be backlit though
Weather sealing - just a huge bonus and adds another element to the durability of the camera
AA batteries - last a long time and you don't have to worry about recharging or buying a new Li-Ion replacement
Feel - just pick up up for yourself, I suggest getting the BG-3 battery grip
11 AF points - e-510 and nikon d60 only have 3!
Kit lens - very pleased, best kit lens out there
In body SR - who wants to buy a matching image stabilizing lens? just have it in the body, that way it works with everything
LCD screen - very bright and can be viewed at all angles

Things that could be improved:
Burst mode - Would be great if this could be improved, but I really care as I don't shoot much action - just listing for the objective viewer
Live view - again, don't really care, but could be useful in tough camera setup situations

Very happy with this camera and I have learned a whole lot about photography since it's been my first dSLR. If you don't care about live view, then pick this up. This camera will last forever!

Last edited by esman7; 05-25-2009 at 08:58 AM.
05-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Another happy K200D owner here. A very well-made camera with great glass, weather resistance and good ergonomics. The K200D represents cracking value for money and has enough capability and features to satisfy both experienced photographers and DSLR newbies. The K200D makes a fantastic first DSLR (with scene modes that newbies will appreciate). But one won't grow tired of it as one's ability and confidence grow.

AF problems? Almost academic. I have to say while AF is not the fastest I've seen, it certainly falls within a range one would consider "normal." And, more importantly, I've never lost a shot because of it. I'm not sure what battery problem the original poster is referring to. Lithium AA's work fine for me. If it's the fact that one has to replace these batteries, then he may have a point. But I get enough use out of them that I don't consider it a problem. I think the whole AA vs. proprietary rechargeable battery argument is a matter of personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer.

The only thing I'd wish for is a slightly faster burst mode. I like my K200D enough to plan on keeping it as a second camera even if I get the K7 (in 6-12 months).
05-25-2009, 01:13 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Love my K200

I am overjoyed with battery performance after all the shouting about them being fussy and hungry. I was very satisfied with the life and performance of the included lithiums but when they ran out I replaced them with Eneloops and I am very happy with them. battery life is heaps better than I had expected, having had many battery changes with my Sony Mavica. Technology moves on!
What I love about the K200:
weather protection
battery life
ease of use
hand comfort
menu system
picture quality (of course!)
top LCD
What I don't like:
no live view ( I believe later models have this)
slow AF (aren't they all in poor light and difficult conditions?)
I find the viewfinder exposure readings hard to see in bright condition- perhaps my glasses don't help.

All in all the most enjoyable camera I have ever owned.

Now 2 years on:The camera fits my hand perfectly, fingers snug round the front bulge under the shutter button. I particularly like being able to comfortably hold it and turn it on/off and take pictures one handed. For security I wrap the neck strap around my wrist. The camera is thus much less conspicuous and turned on for a quick snap in no time.
Another great is being able to compare 2 images in Playback. I take a lot of 3D pictures by "cha cha" (2 pictures of the same scene taken quickly about 65cm apart) and can quickly freeview the pair either parallel or cross to see if they will work as a steroscopic pair. Can even zoom in 3D to any area of the scene. Brilliant! I don't know if this feature is normal to DSLRs.

Last edited by cosmicap; 09-07-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: now 2 years on
05-25-2009, 02:58 AM   #5

Very happy with the k200d - it's been a very solid camera over the last year, with still plenty for me to learn how to handle and no plans to upgrade for years to come.

Agree that faster burst mode would be nice - dropping from raw to jpg helps if you just need the shot but you lose some of the post-processing ability.

The A/F depends on the lens and the camera - the da* 16-50 is pretty fast but if the lens depends on the camera to drive the focus (like the da 55-300 for reach), it's a little slower but still good. Most of the newer pentax lenses switch seamlessly from manual to A/F so very easy to get in the right range of focus, or fine tune focus before taking the shot.

Very impressed with battery life - I rotate a few sets of rechargeable AA's or a set of high end non-rechargeables if I'm somewhere that I don't want to bother with changing batteries. Also impressed with the quality of the build compared to other cameras in the same price-range - metal frame, water/dust resistant etc (needs same features on lens to be entirely weather resistant).
05-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Where to start-I simply love this machine! If the "most underrated lens" title exist than this piece of equipment deserves the most underrated camera title for sure!

For start I find it's grip more comfortable than the one on the K20-I tried the later several times after I bought the K200d and every time I came to the same conclusion.

Battery issue-Eneloops and I keep a set of Energizer Lithiums for backup in my bag.

Viewfinder menu difficult to see in bright conditions-that's true. What I do is using Av mode and looking at the top LCD during day- No backlight on the top Lcd?-I use the viewfinder info instead

Of course build quality is exceptional-I also like the weight and the size is just right.

Kit lens-the DA50-200 is a super lens.

Burst speed-I use jpeg in these situation.

The only thing I don't like is the lack of 100% view in the viewfinder-maybe that will be the reason if I buy the K7 maybe in the future...maybe.. in this case I'll put a DA21 Ltd on my k200d and keep it in my bag, car etc. for everyday use.

Picture quality-really really good-lovely warm colors.

Andras
Flickr: sopiandri's Photostream
05-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I purchased my K200D from a PF member and there is no comparison to my other Pentax digital (K100D). Batteries last 3 times longer and AF is 2 times faster. It also does not hunt as much as the K100D does using the same lenses. Write speed to SDHC Class 6 cards are also twice as fast as the K100D.

I carry this camera in my day pack, along with Pentax FA 43MM & Tamron DA 70-300mm telephoto.
(I also carry a Pentax ME film SLR with various lenses).

05-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
just want to add

well even though I do not own this camera, I know that it has a small buffer.. 2.8 fps for just 5-6 shots..
if this is important to you, better get K10D, but it is much bigger and heavier.
other than that i Guess it is a good camera..
05-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for me,it is the best entry level camera ever,it has most featurs I need from a slr cam,great bodymaterial.very nice looking,very worthy.
Build quality - Lenses - affordable price
Top LCD -Weather sealing AA batteries
11 AF points -
In body SR -
I LIKE K200 DESPIT OF LACKING LIVE VIEW WHICH I DONT CARE.
05-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #10

Build: seems to be sturdier than the competition. Extended use in harsh climates may give a better assessment of durability. No complaint on build quality ever noticed.

Viewfinder: acceptable and not appreciably dimmer than pentaprism equipped K20D. No DSLR compares favourably with the best film SLRs. 100% image visibility would have been nice. Readout hard to see in bright light: no different from other DSLRs and even analogue Pentax SLRs.

Metering with manual lenses: Meters fairly well with green button and can be adjusted by using the EV readout brought up in the viewfinder by the DOF preview. The best of the K series DSLRs with K-mount manual lenses. The K20D and K10D tend to overexpose with those lenses. Does not show aperture in viewfinder with manual lenses. Even if the KAF2 mount cannot read the aperture for aperture preferred metering except when the lens is fully open, showing the aperture in the viewfinder should have been attempted as a purely optical aid, as was achieved in many film SLRs, since the overhang of the pentamirror makes the aperture setting difficult to see even from the outside.

Batteries: Uses AA batteries (Alkaline, Lithium or NiMh) which are easily found. Excellent with Lithium batteries or Eneloops NiMh batteries. Unpredictable or poor with other NiMh batteries. Alkaline only as a desperate measure as they will be exhausted very quickly. .

Shake reduction seems to be quite effective but cannot save a hopeless shot.

In-camera image processing: Acceptable but processing is best done in the computer.

Burst mode: quite restricted but needed only by mainstream sports and wildlife photographers.

Long lenses: Pentax has not made any new lenses at and above 400mm for its DSLRs. This is a serious problem for mainstream wildlife and sports photographers who wish to use Pentax.

Scene modes: Good for beginners but not useful for those familiar with mechanical film SLRs, of which Pentax made many, and whose lenses can be used in the Pentax DSLRs. Frequently abandoned even by beginners as they become more familiar with the camera.

White balance: still a problem in some tricky lighting with all DSLR cameras and the K200D is no exception. Tungsten can be excessively cool. Manual white balance tends to be cool in strong daylight, though this may be ascribed to imperfect exposure.

Image quality: Colourful warm images leaning towards the bright side. Some would prefer a more accurate, if colder, colour rendition but the majority of users would like the warmth even if it wasn’t there in the actual scene.

Image comparison: In playback mode, images can be compared side by side in the LCD screen. Can be very useful on occasion.

Summation: Truly a useful camera, often rated below its capabilites; not least because of the way Pentax advertising has projected iit.
05-30-2009, 02:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have k200d for 9 months so here is my impression:
Very sturdy
Grip is ok
SR is ok but not very very effective
Menu is great I love it
Kit lens provides some exceptional quality images
Viewfinder is ok though I found it to look a bit dark if compared to nikon D40 which viewfinder is about the same in terms of size.
Image comparison is great feature
Easy connection between M42 lenses and pentax bayonet
Top lcd is great but sometimes I miss its lightning
The biggest problem is batteries. My new batteries from Panasonic (rechargable 2600mAh) lasted for 6 months and after that I could make just around 20 shots and camera shows empty batterry indicator though batteries are almost fully charged when checked on other cammeras. That is very big problem. I tried energizer (rechargable 2100mAh) and it was the same. So probably I'll get Eneloop's but if it will repeat I'll bring camera to repair service as I spent money on new batteries and couldn't get camera work properly for at least 300 shots.
07-08-2009, 02:09 AM   #12

I bought the K200d a little more than one year ago, here's my opinion.

What I Like:
- the build and feel. This camera looks (and is) heavier and more solid than every other camera in the same price range. I decided to buy it the day I could take it in my hands for a while. I don't know of any weather-sealed cameras at that price.
- ease of use. You don't need to read a manual as thick as War and Peace to operate the basic and not-so-basic features. There's nothing in here that makes you wondering "Why did they put this for?". It's not too basic, but still no-frills and no-nonsense.
- image quality. I love the balanced, natural colours. The noise is low and even when it does appear it's very film-like.

What I don't like:
- battery management;
- battery management; and
- battery management (that was a bit lame, sorry). I know, the issue can be solved by using low self-discharge units such as Eneloops, but still the K200 is incredibly fussy when it comes to that. Not to mention the tricks it plays when batteries are not fully charged, e.g. depleted batteries that are shown again at 100% if switched of place or battery meter that shows 50% but if you turn the mode knob just one click back and forth goes back to 100%... I'm still puzzled.

Another quick word about LSD cells:

QuoteOriginally posted by donras Quote
the Duracell and Rayovac may in fact be the same battery with different branding.
It is true that most LSD batteries come from a very small number of factories. As for Duracells, the ones made in Japan and with a white area around the positive end are almost certainly re-branded Eneloops, while the ones produced in China are Rayovac Hybrids. You can tell them from the Japanese ones because the ring around the + end is black. Another Eneloop re-brand are the Sony Cycle Energy.
Other LSD brands are Uniross Hybrio, Varta Ready2Use, Panasonic Infinium, Beghelli Carica 500 Hybrid (Italy only, probably), GP ReCyko+, Powerex Imedion, SBS BiReady and who knows how many others.
07-18-2009, 06:36 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Pentax K200D: unbeatable quality for the price, always a Pentax strength. Sharper than my Nikon D40 when pixel peeping, and the hue adjustment is very effective for shaping preferred colour response.
Improved ergonomics over K100D, especially no disabling of auto ISO when using exposure compensation.
However, K100D is still the high iso king at 3200 whereas K200D limited to iso 1600.

Having said that, its 1600 iso performance is superior to other DSLRS, including Nikon D40 which itself is better than most Canikons at 1600 iso.(See Camerlabs Nikon D40 review).

High iso performance is fantastic with Pentax, and this is often overlooked.
08-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
RT1
Forum Member

I have had my K200D for about a year now, and what can I say...I love it.

Granted it's the first DSLR that I have ever owned, but I have shot with Canons and Nikons that didn't belong to me. That being said, the build quality of this camera is fantastic. I've not used the standard kit lens, as I ordered my camera without it, and opted for an 18-250 instead (the Pentax model). This combo is great for everyday shooting, so long as you have good light. The AF speed for the K200D is quick if the lighting is favorable. If you are shooting indoors, then a faster lens is required to maintain fast focus times (an added benifit of the extra light they allow into the camera).

I have recomended this camera to many friends, and a couple of my Canon shooting buddies have voiced their envy of the K200's intuitive user control.

Also, the availability of all the old glass to mate to this thing is awesome.
08-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition to the above:

Pros:
- Raw images are right up there with the best of the best (any camera) in good shooting conditions
- Good ability to "tune" images the way you want them
- When at a Canikonian fest, can shoot in DNG and Adobe colour space and open with any photoshop package.
- Still like those AA's in the back of beyond
- I've had it out in snow to -20C and +40 in humidity - all good.

Cons:
- Default Jpgs are awful
- Viewfinder not as good as previous mid-range models. Not a pentaprism and a bit dim. Hard to read numbers in viewfinder in bright light.
- No official split or manual focusing screens available
- Not as compact as previous mid-range models. Physically heavier and larger.
- Dynamic range definitely skewed toward shadow range. Easier to blow skies out.
- Tendency to underexpose
- Dragging exposure up results in very noisy images with inaccurate colours (but it really is amazing how much can be dragged back).
- Noisy in Low light and sensor sprinkles on mine for long exposures if I don't turn all the noise reduction settings on and the DR off (on the plus side, the sensor mapping really does work).
Closed Thread