Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
the K-7 isn't going to compete against the K20.

try comparing to it's competition: Canon 50D = 730g, Nikon D300 = 825g

It wins on size and weight easily, not to mention the features.

05-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Light_Horseman Quote

DPReview has them a lot heavier than that, but I agree.
05-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

yup.

QuoteOriginally posted by Light_Horseman Quote

wanted to say the same thing..

k20d 800grams direct competition is:
canon 500d - 520grams,
nikon D90 703grams,
olympus E-620 515grams,
sony A350 632grams,

among them k20d is a heavy weight.

but K7 - 750grams competes with

canon 50D - 822grams
Nikon D300 - 925grams
Sony A700 - 768grams
Olympus E-3 -890grams,

among them K-7 is a light weight. the lightest and smallest.

source dpreview.com
05-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Can you really expect them to shave that much weight off? They've packed alot of stuff into it. And it's not the weight that is really that important, so it weights maybe 100g more than people would have liked, but it's such a small amount of weight. What's impressed me is how small they've made it.

05-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

weight, shutter sound, strap lugs...

How does it take photographs?

Jason
05-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Hype or not, it is still a damn feature laden good camera for its size and weight.

cheers,

Rene
05-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
wow, I cannot believe my eyes, RiceHigh is defending a Pentax camera
Yeah I completely lost the point of this accountants analysis of the weight advantage after reading RH's post. In fact, he's been quite positive the last few days. I have to check where I'm signed in at. Did Canon introduce a new camera called the K7D MkI?

05-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
Forum Member

I got to play with a K7 at the Pentax booth at the "Photographic, Video & Digital Imaging show today" Now first off I have to say.. does anyone want to buy a used K20 in great shape?

I can't say I noticed a weight difference when holding it. I didn't hold it empty, but i played with it with the same lens (300 prime lens.. so reasonably hefty). But then I might have been so excited with a few of the improvements I wasn't paying attention to weight!
05-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
Hype or not, it is still a damn feature laden good camera for its size and weight.
Well, that's true.
05-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dekka Quote
I got to play with a K7 at the Pentax booth at the "Photographic, Video & Digital Imaging show today" Now first off I have to say.. does anyone want to buy a used K20 in great shape?
I'd like one too. Apart from anything else, the dedicated ISO button would be enough to tempt me.

The smaller size looks handy, and the improved auto-focus looks great. The bigger screen has a few downsides, but on balance its advantages outweigh them. It's a pity they cluttered it up with video, but i can see that the marketing ppl probably insisted on that.

I chose my K20D over all the competition, and don't regret the choice, and if choosing now it'd be K20D versus K7.

But if somebody had told me 20 years ago that we'd be using cameras so much heavier than my ME Super, I'd not have believe them. What prompted me to post here was that some of the comments suggested that the K7 was a step back to the old glory days of solid and light Pentaxes, so I set out to check, and well ... it isn't.

The K7 may well be a turning point in the endless accumulation of weight in dSLRs, and that's great news. All-in all a very attractive package, but it's a lightweight only by comparison with the overweight K20D and the K7's bloated competition.
05-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoLegged Quote
I'd like one too. Apart from anything else, the dedicated ISO button would be enough to tempt me.

The smaller size looks handy, and the improved auto-focus looks great. The bigger screen has a few downsides, but on balance its advantages outweigh them. It's a pity they cluttered it up with video, but i can see that the marketing ppl probably insisted on that.

I chose my K20D over all the competition, and don't regret the choice, and if choosing now it'd be K20D versus K7.

But if somebody had told me 20 years ago that we'd be using cameras so much heavier than my ME Super, I'd not have believe them. What prompted me to post here was that some of the comments suggested that the K7 was a step back to the old glory days of solid and light Pentaxes, so I set out to check, and well ... it isn't.

The K7 may well be a turning point in the endless accumulation of weight in dSLRs, and that's great news. All-in all a very attractive package, but it's a lightweight only by comparison with the overweight K20D and the K7's bloated competition.

Right. and the K-7 feature set is about the same? To be fair, add the MEII winder. now at least your gloriously small MEsuper can at least shoot 1/2 the frame rate of the K-7.

So, MEsuper + Winder = 793 grams.

hmmm. Heavier then the K-7.

Pentax LX and winder = 810 grams

Penatx K2, no winder = 680 grams. a whoping 70 grams lighter. About the weight of a chocolate bar.

How about if someone told you twenty years ago you will be able to buy a camera that:

* does not need film & can take hundereds of photos before you need to change the storage media
* Allows you to change white balance on the fly. no filters. no film changes
* Allows you to preview every shot on a colour screen on the back of the camera
* Has auto focus
* Has spot, center average, and 77 zone matrix metering
* Has colour histograms of every shot to confirm exposure
* Alows you you edit your photos for contrast etc.
* Shoots 5 frames per sec.
* Can be used in the rain
* Can shoot colour high def video. I know you don't care.

And all this will weigh less then your ME super plus winder.
05-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #27
Inactive Account

+ in-body shake reduction.
05-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
+ in-body shake reduction.

Didn't the ME Super have that?

Thanks.
05-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
weight, shutter sound, strap lugs...

How does it take photographs?

Jason
my thoughts too!
05-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #30

It is a fraction lighter than K10D. I tried K-7 with card, battery grip and with FA 31mm ltd and it does not feel a lot lighter.
I guess it is more to do with competition as many has mentioned earlier.
And the best thing was the grip you get with K-7. It just fits snuggly in my hand and was a pleasure to hold.
Though the only 'getting used to' thing will be the new button layout and new interface. I currently use a K10D and my fingers were going automatically to the left of the lcd. But won't complain as I got only 15mins or so to play around with
Closed Thread