Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 27
K7 lightweight????? No, just hype

The hype and enthusiasm for the supposedly lightweight K7 seems to me to be misplaced. The following figures are all from Pentax UK's website:

So the difference is 45g. That means that the K7 body is a staggering ... umm ... well ... 6.29% lighter than the K20D body. Not so staggering, is it?

But nobody uses a body on its own (unless they are using their camera as a cosh). Add on 220g for the std 18-55 II kit lens, 80g for the battery and SD card, and we're looking at a weight-saving of 45g off a K20D's 970g. That's 4.64% lighter.

Even using the lightest lens I can see (the smc DA 40 mm / 2,8 Limited at 90g), we're looking at the following minimum working weights:
  • K20D (715g) + battery&SDcard (80g) + lens (90g) = 885g
  • K7 (670g) + battery&SDcard (80g) + lens (90g) = 840g

So the lightest K7 combo is only 5.32% lighter than the lightest K20D combo.

But if we're using the smc DA 60-250 f/4.0 ED (1040g), the overall reduction in weight is only 2.45%.

I'm glad that the K7 isn't any heavier than my very heavy K20D, and any weight-saving is a step in the right direction. But the difference is so small that it will probably be completely un-noticed in use.

I really like my K20D, and I'm sure I'd like a K7 even more. But the hype is silly.

05-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 931
Hype basically is for new Pentax converts from other brands. For us K20D users, it is not much of a difference as the K20D is a very good camera IMHO.
05-24-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,345
Well, it's lightweight and compact for a rugged, weather sealed camera. Compare it to the competition and see for yourself
05-24-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member
RawheaD's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MA, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 831
Everything is relative. Compare it to my Kiev-60, it's super light :-D All joking aside, the point is that they added all those features (and subtracted nothing), and change the body from plastic to a metal (magnesium alloy) and *still* managed to make the body slightly lighter and significantly smaller.

Now, if you don't think that that is an engineering feat, that's fine, everyone can have his opinion. However, the fact remains that a crap ton of work went into the K-7 to make those weight/size specs possible, and those of us who understand that are perfectly allowed to geek out about it, and the "hype" as you call it is well deserved.

05-24-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 506
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, it's lightweight and compact for a rugged, weather sealed camera. Compare it to the competition and see for yourself

Agreed, when compared to the competition (especially with the acclaimed pancakes as menitiond ). And a heck of a lot lighter, and smaller, than my current DSLR and video camera combined. It's all relative!
05-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 652
See about half way down the page:

Pentax K-7 Hands-on Preview: 4. Body & Design: Digital Photography Review

Only the E-30 is lighter in it's class. I think the hype is more about the size than the weight, but If you compare it to it's competitors it is indeed one of the smallest, lightest cameras. Then compare it to other weather sealed cameras...

I've never held a K-7 but I imagine it's weight will give a feeling of density and solid build.

k200d is 690g with battery.
05-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 652
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoLegged Quote
...

I'm glad that the K7 isn't any heavier than my very heavy K20D, and any weight-saving is a step in the right direction...
I think you might be in the minority describing the k20D as "very heavy".

Last edited by Vertex Ninja; 05-24-2009 at 07:03 AM.
05-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
It's also not significantly smaller, being around the same as the K200D rather than the K100DS which I would have preferred. And yes, I'd give up the larger screen and some overdesigned body features for this.

I do think the K20D is too big and heavy, though I won't mind if the 645D is of that size. A lot of people seem to want a larger camera just to be impressive. I have no such desire and realise that a smaller body can be just as well designed for use with hands of any size.

05-24-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,345
I liked the *istDS, but I adapted quickly to the K10D. It would be a good idea for Pentax to make an *istDS-sized, light but still rugged/weather sealed camera, as a model below the K-7; this way you'll be happy
I'd also give up the larger screen (for better controls placement on the body) But about weight... if it means a lesser build quality, thanks but no, thanks.
05-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
How about size, material and specs differences?

You've forgot about the big size difference. The K-7 is far more compact and slim and the K20D is much bulkier with larger overall volume. See the size comparison here.

And, the K-7 is a metal body whereas the K20D is with a plastic outer shell. If the K-7 uses the same plastic material, I am sure that it can be lighter. But then the textural feel is different!

Lastly, you forget all the specs difference and advancement that Pentax has put in the K-7? With far more things packed and with a higher performance of the K-7, nothing is going to compare, frankly.

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoLegged Quote
The hype and enthusiasm for the supposedly lightweight K7 seems to me to be misplaced. The following figures are all from Pentax UK's website:

So the difference is 45g. That means that the K7 body is a staggering ... umm ... well ... 6.29% lighter than the K20D body. Not so staggering, is it?

But nobody uses a body on its own (unless they are using their camera as a cosh). Add on 220g for the std 18-55 II kit lens, 80g for the battery and SD card, and we're looking at a weight-saving of 45g off a K20D's 970g. That's 4.64% lighter.

Even using the lightest lens I can see (the smc DA 40 mm / 2,8 Limited at 90g), we're looking at the following minimum working weights:
  • K20D (715g) + battery&SDcard (80g) + lens (90g) = 885g
  • K7 (670g) + battery&SDcard (80g) + lens (90g) = 840g

So the lightest K7 combo is only 5.32% lighter than the lightest K20D combo.

But if we're using the smc DA 60-250 f/4.0 ED (1040g), the overall reduction in weight is only 2.45%.

I'm glad that the K7 isn't any heavier than my very heavy K20D, and any weight-saving is a step in the right direction. But the difference is so small that it will probably be completely un-noticed in use.

I really like my K20D, and I'm sure I'd like a K7 even more. But the hype is silly.
05-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,157
They have managed to add more features and still make the body a little smaller and lighter. That sounds like pretty good engineering to me. A well built weather sealed camera is not going to be feather light.
05-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
Well...since this is an advanced (dare I say it...pro level? ) camera...they probably figured most people would be using heavy lenses with it like DA* zooms. A heavier camera certainly balances a lens better than a light one.

Heck, put my plastic FA 80-320 onto the MX body and it's too lightweight. A heavier lens like the M 80-200 moves all the weight to the front, which is undersirable.

Once again like what has been stated by a few folks...it's a lot of camera in a small package. More stuff...smaller frame...AND it's a tad lighter.
05-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
And, the K-7 is a metal body whereas the K20D is with a plastic outer shell. If the K-7 uses the same plastic material, I am sure that it can be lighter. But then the textural feel is different!
A metal frame has a better strength-to-weight ratio than a plastic one, unless the plastic is used as a composite (like GRP).

The metal frame is a great idea (albeit a little more expensive), and it's a weight-saver. A plastic K7 would be heavier.

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Lastly, you forget all the specs difference and advancement that Pentax has put in the K-7? With far more things packed and with a higher performance of the K-7, nothing is going to compare, frankly.
Sure, higher spec is good. But apart from the bigger screen, most of the new features don't look to me like things that add weight.


(Stress again: I'm not knocking the K7. It sounds like a good camera, but it still weighs a whole lot more than an ME-Super)
05-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
raz
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Timisoara, Romania
Posts: 249
wow, I cannot believe my eyes, RiceHigh is defending a Pentax camera
05-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
45g is really quite significant imo. It does feel different in your hands.

And isn't K-7 the lightest in its class? CMIIW *Edit* just read the reply above that the E-30 is lighter
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, body, camera, card, dslr, hype, k20d, k7, lens, photography, sd, weight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Inception Hype Thread deadwolfbones General Talk 11 07-11-2010 07:07 AM
Good, lightweight ballheads? Miguel Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 6 03-06-2010 09:59 AM
K-7 hype getting attention outside Pentax forum? Douglas_of_Sweden Pentax News and Rumors 45 05-24-2009 03:19 AM
lightweight ballhead, not too $$$? deuces Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 8 01-15-2009 02:27 PM
Lightweight tripod ixian Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 34 11-07-2008 08:40 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top