Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Why Dpreview sucks on the k-7.

Pentax usa says redesign sensor, dpreview says revised sensor that was in the k20d. Since when redesign e revised means the same thing? gosh those guys are the worst type! There's a MONO mic to ad sound. Duh! mic to ad what else?, to boost AF performance it have to ad an assit lamp, pentax has also ad little features, Although the company's market position isn't as well entrenched as it was during the halcyon days of 35mm film, it continues to attract a devoted following of enthusiasts ( r u an enthusiast?). I could not read the rest and waste even more of my time with that.

You can ad more dp bs if u saw it.

05-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well it's why Canon's fast 50 is dreamy and Pentax's is soft. Reading camera equipment reviews crack me up.
05-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems you are being incredibly nit-picky about very minor wording issues. It was actually a very good preview.
05-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nope.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Seems you are being incredibly nit-picky about very minor wording issues. It was actually a very good preview.
i just quoted some pearls then u decide

05-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Inactive Account

It seems like camera reviews are a lot movie reviews, it best to make your own decision. I went to Netflix to see if the movie "Mall Cop" was worth renting. I saw reviews that ranged from "A Must See!!" to "I wasted a 1 1/2 hour off my life" If you like the K-7, you'll still like it whether of not your Nikon and Canon buddies will tell you it's junk.
05-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
Pentax usa says redesign sensor, dpreview says revised sensor that was in the k20d. Since when redesign e revised means the same thing?
Since the sensor is essentially the same in the specifications we're given, I think it's a safe bet that they do mean the same thing in this context. Since when are the adjectives in companies' self-promotional materials to be believed? (The classic example: how can something be both new and improved?)

Honestly, I hope it's closer to "revised" — there's no sense in throwing the entire thing out and starting with a whole new set of bugs. Rather than redesigning from scratch, a revised version can correct existing problems and make evolutionary improvements without taking a big risk of introducing new problems.

The Mozilla project is a classic example of this — when Netscape open-sourced their code, the original was deemed too messy to save, and everything was rewritten from scratch. This literally set the project back years and the whole thing might have completely tanked if Firefox hadn't come along.

There's a good quote from Joel Spolsky on this (emphasis his): It's important to remember that when you start from scratch there is absolutely no reason to believe that you are going to do a better job than you did the first time.
05-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From my perspective, in the past DPR has exhibited some anti-pentax bias, but this preview seem pretty enthusiastic. And I happen to agree with mattdm above in thinking that a revised sensor might be considered better than a "redesigned" one. I work for a company that builds passenger rail cars. If we have to "redesign" something it is a BIG DEAL meaning that a part or system failed so badly on a fleet wide level that we have to completely rethink it. However part and system revisions happen all the time, usually meaning minor to not so minor tweaks to the part or system. It was a good highly positive preview.

NaCl(they've shown bias in the past but not this time)H2O

05-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
NaClH2O
From my perspective, in the past DPR has exhibited some anti-pentax bias, but this preview seem pretty enthusiastic. And I happen to agree with mattdm above in thinking that a revised sensor might be considered better than a "redesigned" one. I work for a company that builds passenger rail cars. If we have to "redesign" something it is a BIG DEAL meaning that a part or system failed so badly on a fleet wide level that we have to completely rethink it. However part and system revisions happen all the time, usually meaning minor to not so minor tweaks to the part or system. It was a good highly positive preview.
Also, they gave the K20d their best rating="Highly Recommended." The K7 addresses the weaknesses of the K20. I have to believe DPreview is as excited about the K7 as we Pentaxians are.
05-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was actually quite surprised myself at how positive dpr was in their k7 preview. I had read some of these "nit picky" rants here before I read it and was looking for unkind words, but all I saw were positives.
05-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #10

We shouldn't fall in hands of marketing material either.
05-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't know where you learned English, but "revised" and "redesigned" *do* have very similar meanings. If it pleases you to imagine that the preview is worthless because you don't don't like the specific synonyms they chose, whatever.
05-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Any published review, regardless of the source, should be taken with a grain of salt.

That's my review of "reviews"

Jason
05-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
well it's why Canon's fast 50 is dreamy and Pentax's is soft.

QuoteQuote:
Reading camera equipment reviews crack me up.
I usually just look at the numbers and sample photos.
05-25-2009, 05:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, the preview wasn't this bad.

But, I really didn't like their title on Pentax K-7 digital SLR announced and previewed: Digital Photography Review:

QuoteQuote:
PENTAX K-7
A Mid-Class Digital SLR Camera
Of course, they are correct as far as price is concerned
05-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

they are starting to look like a bunch of Pentax fan boys :P I want negatives!