Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow nice capture. I saw this thread earlier but didn't pay attention to the actual island itself. Where did you take the photo from?

Glad your camera turned out OK.

05-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #32

Original Poster
I took it from the very end of the park at Chinaman's Hat. I was riding home in the rain, saw the sun rays coming through a very small break in the clouds as it set over the Koolau mountains, road over the curb and took the BMW GSA1200 right up to the edge of the beach. I kept expecting the cops to show up and run me off

A pic of the bike from this weekend. I have lots of expensive hobbies

[IMG][/IMG]
05-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with hobbies as long as you can afford them.

I'm not sure if anybody brought this up but fixing your K20D cost you a good reason to upgrade to the K-7
05-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #34

Original Poster
Oh no... I will still be on the preorder list but now I can keep the k20 as a back up and sell the k10.

05-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
If it wasn't impact maybe just vibration loosened the screws. It may just be a quick fix.
I think your right.....the K20D's mount (black) on the camera looks undamaged. I'm also wondering if vibration loosened the screws and the Bigma is a large, heavy lens.

I have a K10D and I noticed in the manual that they say to cushion it while traveling (I guess if the mode of transportation vibrates a lot like a bush plane for example. The notice is in there to prevent damage caused by vibration to the sensitive electronic parts...although I know on my older british motorcycle if I don't lock wire some of the bolts they will vibrate off due to the excessive vibration of the bike's engine (750 Norton Twin).

Did you travel using a conveyance that produced a lot of vibration which could of transferred to the camera ?

BTW, I always travel with a lens attached to the camera body.

ADDITIONAL INFO

Now it comes clear,,,you had the bag attached to your off road Beemer...the rough roads, jouncing, hammering and vibration of a big twin would do the damage you encountered quite easily, I think. I have a big single (500cc) SR 500 Yamaha and that Baby will really vibrate...as will my Norton engined Matchless desert sled...Pack your stuff different....maybe the camera body with the cap on...wrap it up good in foam,...lenses too...or I predict you will get more damage.

Your Beemer off road big twin is alot more refined than my beast of a Matchless or big vibratin' Yamaha (1978) model...but stillyour equipment will get a lickin' from riding on rough, rutted surfaces...that's a torture test for any camera.

Last edited by lesmore49; 05-27-2009 at 02:06 PM.
05-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
Went into my camera bag last night to pull out the k20d and to my surprise the body was sitting by itself, no body cap, no lens attached. Very odd, I always throw a body cap on the camera when done with shooting. Apparently I left Bigma on the body when I left CO last week on my way home to HI. Somewhere along the line the backpack must have take a significant jolt and the weight of the lens, literally tore the metal lens mount off the camera. What knuckle head. What I cant figure out is when it occurred. I didnt check the bag, and the camera was cradled very tightly in the Lowepro bag... I will send it in for repair, but I doubt there is anything that can be done. bummer...

still have the k10d to get me through the interim.

back from thailand five days ago i had my new think thank trolley packed with all my lenses and stuff.
i didn't care a lot where i put stuff considering the trolley a safe bet.
Arrived at home in italy i take out the 50-135 that i had put in the lower part of the trolley. When i took it out something in the interior begin moving, like it was a ball inside the lens.
Probably during the transportation the lens suffered some shake and some interior elements probablly unstacked. now the lens is at service.
Next time i'll put all the lens in the upper and medium part well secured. Nothing is bulletproof from now on for me.
05-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
Went into my camera bag last night to pull out the k20d and to my surprise the body was sitting by itself, no body cap, no lens attached. Very odd, I always throw a body cap on the camera when done with shooting. Apparently I left Bigma on the body when I left CO last week on my way home to HI. Somewhere along the line the backpack must have take a significant jolt and the weight of the lens, literally tore the metal lens mount off the camera. What knuckle head. What I cant figure out is when it occurred. I didnt check the bag, and the camera was cradled very tightly in the Lowepro bag... I will send it in for repair, but I doubt there is anything that can be done. bummer...

still have the k10d to get me through the interim.

If it costs more to repair than you can sell individual parts for, just part it out
I'm sure I'll be one of your customers.

05-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #38
Forum Member

I am going to breathe a sigh of relief for you. That was really lucky... It is rather interesting that all the mounting screws got loose the way it did. After all, there was a lens mounted on the flange - how could the screws get out without stripping the holes???
05-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #39

Original Poster
oh i think they pulled out due to the weight of the lens... but i guess the good thing about the plastic mount is that they didnt strip the threads. We will see about how it holds up.
05-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #40
Pentaxian

deleted....
05-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #41

Glad you managed to fix your K20D, though I'm sure many cameras will be suffering similar 'accidents' once the K-7 is released