Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF-button: Does it engage the SR in K20D/K-7.

In my K10D, the AF button doesn't engage the SR. Does the K20D do it ?, if not will the K-7 have this feature?

Thank you.

05-25-2009, 06:06 AM   #2
Inactive Account

It doesn't with k20d. I know because my half-press action went dead. So it was bye bye SR.
Luckily a new k20d should be arriving soon.

Hopefully they have an option for this with K-7
05-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
In my K10D, the AF button doesn't engage the SR...
The moment you tap or half-press the shutter, it will engage.
When I first noticed the SR didn't engage when I decoupled the AF from the shutter, I thought it was a defect.

Do you feel this as design flaw?
It doesn't realy bother me.

(hey, I just became a "Pentaxian" )
05-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply. Apparently K-7 has the same implementation as the K20D and K10D.

It is just that when using AF for focusing, then pressing the shutter, we have to wait for the few moments for the SR to kick in. If the SR is connected to the AF button, and implemented properly, then we don't have to wait for the SR to kick-in with the shutter button.

I said properly implemented, because when using the AF button one would usually release the AF button and then press the shutter, and releasing the AF button would disengage SR, making this feature useless, unless a 1 or 2 sec. lag is built in, so that when the AF button is released the SR is still ON until either the shutter is pressed or 1 or 2 sec.

I will find this feature useful...I wonder whether any camera with in-body stabilization offer this ?

05-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had issues with this too, so now I've set my AF button to "cancel" and just reverse my behavior.
05-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
NO AF button or half press is not associated with SR.

SR is started when the shutter button is engaged at half press - ie. when the camera "thinks" you are ready to take a picture. If you de-couple AF from the shutter button (my preference on all my DSLR's) then you want to be able to focus on multiple "things" in order to get the proper composition, you do not want SR kicking in and then having to disengage when you slide the camera towards another "thing".

SR is activated when the shutter button is pressed - and held at half press. I will pass my finger over the shutter button to "turn on the electronics" and remove my finger from the shutter button. As stated above I use the AF button to focus exclusively, so as long as I press the AF button while composing - AF never goes away. Once the "thing" is in focus - AF button is released and metering (half press with AE-L if required) finger off the shutter button and compose. Press the shutter half way - wait for the little hand and blast away.

Most times, however, I just focus, compose - shoot - if I need more than one shot, just shoot. Having learned on manual SLR's and my first DSLR (*ist DS) without SR - I see it as a crutch that I have become to complacent with. I like SR, but these days I just try to use the old techniques which have served me well for 40+ years. SR is usually on, but I just do not "look for it".

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL