Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Dust on filter screen

I have specs on my filter screen, it doesn't show up in my pictures just when I look in the viewfinder. They're pretty big and there are about 3 specs. They've gotten really annoying and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to remove it. I tried the rocket blower, and a sensorpen to try and knock it off but both haven't worked. I'm thinking about using something hard like a toothpick but I'm afraid it'll damage the filter screen. Will it? If it will does anyone have any suggestions on removing the dust specs? Thanks for all the replies.

05-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I assume you mean focus screen.

If the dust is actually on the focus screen (and not up against the prism), I think I would try removing the screen, and clamping its tab gently in a small electronics vise. Then either blowing it with filtered compressed air from a distance or maybe gently using the brush on a lenspen.
05-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Be very careful with the focus screen - it is sensitive and scratches easily (I scratched one just removing it once). I would definitely NOT use a toothpick on it. I've done all right with just removing it and using the rocket blower on both sides of it, along with into the pentaprism.