Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 users question

As I understand at least 10 or more preproduction models of K-7 are somewhere around the world..

i'm interested in what firmware they are.. and whether Pentax, gave some instructions and commitment to update these cameras as new firmware will be available..

I want to ask those people who have knowledge about that..

what firmware K-7 were given, were there already some updates, whether it was explained what will be corrected ect...

what is the latest firmware now?

Does Pentax asks you to report any issues with the cameras? do they work on solving them?

could you keep us up to date on the number of Firmware you installed in the preproduction models..

I believe this way we will know, when the actual production will start.. because, as the firmware will reach 1.00 pentax will start shipping it to us all..

I hope i was clear enough to understand..
thanks fin advance or your info.

05-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off, the camera is not in production yet, and so the firmware is not "final." They release these cameras not for general use but for testing, to find the bugs and problems with the software. Pretty much all preproduction samples will need to be returned by anyone outside of Pentax, so the firmware updates have no bearing on "regular consumers." After that, the firmware could be locked down for weeks while manufacturing ramps up!

Also, it is highly unlikely that anyone with a test camera will keep it long enough to update to 1.0 firmware. That isn't how software testing is done. The final few revisions are usually in-house and hit QA targets the testers would never know about or care. (Imagine a machine that trips the shutter 1000 times an hour... would you do that for a week?)

That said, in Toronto, we had three K-7s to play with at the Photo Imaging Expo this past weekend. (Perfect timing for us!) I only checked two of them with the startup firmware version check, and one was "Firmware 0.2" and the other "0.3" and the staff knew which one was the later firmware because they put a piece of colored tape on it. Apparently it could do the video and HDR processing better than the earlier one, but that's how it all goes...
06-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
As I understand at least 10 or more preproduction models of K-7 are somewhere around the world..

i'm interested in what firmware they are.. and whether Pentax, gave some instructions and commitment to update these cameras as new firmware will be available..

I want to ask those people who have knowledge about that..

what firmware K-7 were given, were there already some updates, whether it was explained what will be corrected ect...

what is the latest firmware now?

Does Pentax asks you to report any issues with the cameras? do they work on solving them?

could you keep us up to date on the number of Firmware you installed in the preproduction models..

I believe this way we will know, when the actual production will start.. because, as the firmware will reach 1.00 pentax will start shipping it to us all..

I hope i was clear enough to understand..
thanks fin advance or your info.
I don't think this is confidential information, so thougt I would share. There are various levels of samples that are given to the various Pentax offices around the world. These are designated PP1 (pre-production1), PP2 (pre-production 2) and MPT (mass production test). In the US we received 5 PP1 units, 20 PP2 units, and 20 MPT units.

The first PP1 units were for testing by product oriented people in our offices to become more familiar with the unit, and for product photography. They were also used for early sales presentations.

PP2 units were more advanced models for our sales force and marketing use. These are typically better than PP1 units, but not as good as MPT.

MPT units are basically the training units for the production line. These are the first units that assure the assembly line can put the cameras together.

Both the PP2 and MPT units came with firmware 0.20. There were some functions that still didn't work correctly, others that were working that shouldn't have been, and the image quality was not final. We have since received firmware updates to 0.33, 0.34, and 0.35. Each time the cameras get a little better and functions work properly.

Interesting to note, the PP1, PP2 and MPT samples can never be updated to firmware 1.00, the final version in production units. This is because there are always last minute tweaks to certain areas of the camera.

Basically, what this means is that the samples that are floating around now do not have, and never will have final quality on features, functions, and image quality.
06-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
I don't think this is confidential information, so thougt I would share. There are various levels of samples that are given to the various Pentax offices around the world. These are designated PP1 (pre-production1), PP2 (pre-production 2) and MPT (mass production test). In the US we received 5 PP1 units, 20 PP2 units, and 20 MPT units.

The first PP1 units were for testing by product oriented people in our offices to become more familiar with the unit, and for product photography. They were also used for early sales presentations.

PP2 units were more advanced models for our sales force and marketing use. These are typically better than PP1 units, but not as good as MPT.

MPT units are basically the training units for the production line. These are the first units that assure the assembly line can put the cameras together.

Both the PP2 and MPT units came with firmware 0.20. There were some functions that still didn't work correctly, others that were working that shouldn't have been, and the image quality was not final. We have since received firmware updates to 0.33, 0.34, and 0.35. Each time the cameras get a little better and functions work properly.

Interesting to note, the PP1, PP2 and MPT samples can never be updated to firmware 1.00, the final version in production units. This is because there are always last minute tweaks to certain areas of the camera.

Basically, what this means is that the samples that are floating around now do not have, and never will have final quality on features, functions, and image quality.
Thanks so much for the information it was very interesting to read. appreciate your time. Now i'm a little more enlightened about the making cameras process.