Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 02:05 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hope there's a feature much like RAW+Jpeg in HDR mode. Where the Jpeg is the HDR'ed output, while keeping the bracketed shots as RAW files for personal tweaking...

06-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
I hope there's a feature much like RAW+Jpeg in HDR mode. Where the Jpeg is the HDR'ed output, while keeping the bracketed shots as RAW files for personal tweaking...
Unfortunately there is no such thing in the K7.
You can do either the normal bracketing, or use the HDR feature, which only gives you the resultant JPG (and deletes the three source images).
06-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Unfortunately there is no such thing in the K7.
You can do either the normal bracketing, or use the HDR feature, which only gives you the resultant JPG (and deletes the three source images).
I know, which is too bad... would have been a nifty extra though
06-02-2009, 04:51 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
- Enfuse, or the method in the K-7
- Photomatix 3 Reinhard/ Devlin "Reinhard 2" "Tone Compressor"
- Erik is a genius, but goes off the deep-end sometimes
- Bernhard Vogl has put up a great comparison site
- I just put together a "photoreceptor/logarithmic" TMO as the suggested standard

What a great post! Thank you very much.

I have a question, too:

How would a method be called, where the parts in histogram with low percentage are compressed more than the parts in histogram with high percentage, without actually going as far as a histogram equalisation? And which tone mappers feature such an operator with adjustable parameters? I think PS CS3 has this operator but with no parameters.

06-02-2009, 04:59 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
(My post was kind of a sarcastic joke)

I've never used bracketing.
Hah. That's what I thought at first, but then I figured what the hell and answered anyway
07-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #36
Forum Member

I have been searching for HDR info and came up with this thread. I currently have a K2000 and want to get better at HDR photography, architectural and landscape work. Would it be advisable for me to sell the K2000 and buy a K20D or a K7 especially for the 5 exposures?
07-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Olypentax Quote
I have been searching for HDR info and came up with this thread. I currently have a K2000 and want to get better at HDR photography, architectural and landscape work. Would it be advisable for me to sell the K2000 and buy a K20D or a K7 especially for the 5 exposures?
Nothing is easier than to brackett manually. In fact, it take no more time than engaging the autobracketing function. The only thing is that you have to press the shutter release three (or 5 or whatever) times.
07-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
In fact, it take no more time than engaging the autobracketing function. The only thing is that you have to press the shutter release three (or 5 or whatever) times.
Starting from the correct exposure, rolling the thumbwheel down 3 clicks then up six, depressing the shutter fully and having the camera refocus each time while your subject potentially walks away or moves in the wind, all this is faster than switching to autobracket?

Still, Olypentax, unless you are really fishing for an excuse to upgrade, having 5 frame bracketing will not improve your HDR photography; that mostly comes from taking more HDR pictures. If you want still scenes, Pål is actually right, my mocking aside.

Actually, got a question - when you set the K20D or K7 to 5-frame 2EV bracket, does it take 5 frames at 1EV intervals (+/- 2EV total) or is each frame 2 stops from the next (+/- 4EV total)? I haven't been able to find a definite answer on this.

07-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PolishMike Quote
Starting from the correct exposure, rolling the thumbwheel down 3 clicks then up six, depressing the shutter fully and having the camera refocus each time while your subject potentially walks away or moves in the wind, all this is faster than switching to autobracket? .
Firstly, HDR shooting isn't usually performed on subjects that walks away. But mostly on static subjects like landscapes (usually not going anywhere!). The camera doesn't need to refocus - switch the focus button off after the first shot. (I don't fathom why anyone would use AF on static subjects anyway).
Secondly, autobracketing isn't that fast. First you you have to press the button. Then dial in the number of shots you want. Then dial in the degree of compensation between each shot.
In fact it faster to use the camera in manual mode and manual focus and gives more flexibility as well. Automation is good but only when it reduce complexity!
07-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #40

Oh, I just knew I was going to get called on the moving subject thing.

Fact is, I have taken HDR shots with people in the scene, as well as taking them handheld. With a good piece of software and some pp both are perfectly workable approaches, but where the shot-to-shot speed is critical.

I have never used anything but 3-shot +/- 2EV bracket on my K100D. I would assume the K20 remembers the last used settings when you press the bracket button.
(I also just about never take my camera out of AF mode because that AF/MF switch is the stiffest slider I have ever used; takes a vice-like grip)
07-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Olypentax Quote
The big advantage of the K20D is for hand held HDR, which I probably do more often than with a tripod.
07-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #42
Pentaxian

+/- 2EV is +/- 2 EV each, so spanning a total of 8 EV.

K20D and K-7 both remember the bracket mode.

It is "bracket button press + 1 digit dial click" to activate on the K20D.
It is "4 button presses from the 4-way dial" to activate on the K-7.

The good thing with the K-7 is that a 5 exposure HDR bracket is really fast when started out of live view: no mirror clap, just breeeeez ...
07-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Actually, got a question - when you set the K20D or K7 to 5-frame 2EV bracket, does it take 5 frames at 1EV intervals (+/- 2EV total) or is each frame 2 stops from the next (+/- 4EV total)? I haven't been able to find a definite answer on this.
K20D is able to take 5 frames at 2EV intervals for +/- 4EV total.
07-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #44

Falk, Maffer - thank you for the info. That might prove to be quite useful. Can't wait for my K7.

I really hope they allow the RAW button to be used as a bracket button in a firmware update.
07-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I really hope they allow the RAW button to be used as a bracket button in a firmware update.
It would be very wise for Pentax to make RAW button user customisable. Unfortunately that won't happen