Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #1

K-7 - No hard button for bracketting?

I do a lot of HDR, and I love the hard button on the K20D for setting bracketing. It looks like the bracketing option is now off the four way controller. Has anyone worked out how this will work in practice? It seems like a backward step.

Also, I don't see the option to leave the mirror up between bracketed pictures, which would be nice. Far nicer than the HDR 8 Bit JPG option.

05-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The omission of the bracketing button is a real bummer unless it is very easy to get to in the menu. We'll see. Also, the green button and the EV compensation button have switched palces which is going to be a nightmare when using the K-7 alongside the K20D for example.

There is an option to leave the mirror up between bracketed shots like on the K20D.
05-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's in-camera HDR that fires off 3 frames at different EV, that allows quicker HDR images with the K-7.

As to button placement, humans are an adaptable species... we can learn to adapt quickly enough.
05-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Has anyone seen any resulting images that were produced by the in-camera HDR function of the K-7?

TechTock did a nice article about his hands-on experience with the K-7 HDR capabilities...

http://www.adorama.com/alc/blogarticle/11608

Alex

Last edited by AlexM; 05-25-2009 at 05:18 PM.
05-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
There is an option to leave the mirror up between bracketed shots like on the K20D.
There is? I've not found this option on the K20D. There is an option to have one shutter press fire off all bracketed shots, but the mirror returns each time.

How do you get the mirror to stay up between bracketed shots?
05-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The omission of the bracketing button is a real bummer unless it is very easy to get to in the menu. We'll see. Also, the green button and the EV compensation button have switched palces which is going to be a nightmare when using the K-7 alongside the K20D for example.

Sorry, I don't have the K-7 but on the K-m it's pretty easy. Press the drive-mode button and toggle through all the drive options.

It's basically the same on both:
Pentax K2000 Review: 6. Operation & Controls: Digital Photography Review
Pentax K-7 Hands-on Preview: 7. Operation & Controls: Digital Photography Review

It's a pretty logical layout.
05-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
There is? I've not found this option on the K20D. There is an option to have one shutter press fire off all bracketed shots, but the mirror returns each time.

Set the camera to 2sec delayed exposure mode. Then activate bracketing with the button. Then just shoot away and the 2sec delayed exposure will be used for every bracketed image. Works wonders with remote trigger.
05-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
jeffkpotter

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Set the camera to 2sec delayed exposure mode. Then activate bracketing with the button. Then just shoot away and the 2sec delayed exposure will be used for every bracketed image. Works wonders with remote trigger.
Oh yeah it will do that just fine, but what we heavy HDR bracketers really need is for the mirror to go up and stay up while the camera takes 3 to 5 shots. The mirror clumsily slaps before each shot even in the 2 second delay. It's extremely undesirable and inefficient, at least to me. If I've overlooked a way around this I'd sure like to know! Some cheap (obviously mirrorless) point-and-shoot cameras can take 3 bracketed shots in a row fast as lightning.

05-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Oh yeah it will do that just fine, but what we heavy HDR bracketers really need is for the mirror to go up and stay up while the camera takes 3 to 5 shots. The mirror clumsily slaps before each shot even in the 2 second delay. It's extremely undesirable and inefficient, at least to me. If I've overlooked a way around this I'd sure like to know! Some cheap (obviously mirrorless) point-and-shoot cameras can take 3 bracketed shots in a row fast as lightning.
That was what I was looking for. I can do the 2 second delay between each of the 3-5 shots, but that is a pain in itself. I want to either have mirror lock up, a 2 second delay then take all shots with the mirror up, or even leave the mirror up between the standard shots.

What we really, really need is open source firmware ;}
05-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Bracketing is now found within the menu and will be as easy to find and as WB select or ISO control was on the K10/20D...a good 3 seconds of button pushing.

Jason
05-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Ole
Administrator

When you use the infrared remote ("Remote F") with 2 sec delay the mirror stays up during bracketing provided that custom function 8 is set to "One push autobracketing".
05-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #12

If you're using bracketing a lot then you could set it in the "user" option on the dial.
05-27-2009, 04:51 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by digital_aspirin Quote
If you're using bracketing a lot then you could set it in the "user" option on the dial.
that's true if you always use a specific bracketing option, like 5x 2 stop.
05-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I was going to say this too. Just assign it to the USER mode. From there you can use the OK button and EV compensation to make all the changes anyway.
At least thats how it works on the k20d
05-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I do a lot of HDR, and I love the hard button on the K20D for setting bracketing. It looks like the bracketing option is now off the four way controller. Has anyone worked out how this will work in practice? It seems like a backward step.

Also, I don't see the option to leave the mirror up between bracketed pictures, which would be nice. Far nicer than the HDR 8 Bit JPG option.
I do a lot of HDR as well, and I tried out a pre-production K-7 this past weekend specifically for HDR captures. It was kinda tough to really evaluate much without a card in the slot (they were taped closed), but I did get to try out the "menu-based AEB" and determine the particulars of the MLU and AEB.

- The K-7 is identical to the K20D for MLU. There is no way to set AEB and have the mirror stay up during the entire sequence. I really pressed the reps to tell Japan that this needs to be modified before the final K-7 firmware is done! Oddly enough, the "in-camera HDR" function (resulting in an 8-bit JPEG) keeps the mirror up... hmmm.

- Accessing AEB *is* a bit trickier, and takes a bit more time than the dedicated button on the K20D (maybe 1 or 2 seconds). The difference is that you are looking at the big back screen and all 5 brackets can be seen on the larger scale, but at least the wheels work the same way. I hope another physical button can be remapped for this feature for those of us who want it.

Finally, I know a lot of the technical limitations and details for creating in-camera 32-bit HDRs (like EXR output or JPEG-HDR) since I work on the graphics software end of the pipeline. What Pentax has put in (which is actually image fusion, not 32-bit then tonemapping) is really, really nice for getting wide-range images straight from the camera. Not perfect for HDR post-processing experts like us, but a very "consumer-friendly" approach. Just wish the HDR function had laplacian image-pyramid alignment built in...