Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which DSLR brand would you choose? (pick up to two)
Canon 4825.00%
Nikon 15078.13%
Sony 2814.58%
Olympus 4422.92%
Fuji 136.77%
Sigma 63.13%
Panasonic 157.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably Nikon: though I'd be limping along with probably a D40, a kit lens, and whatever 50ish I could get hold of for a couple more years now. (my friend has a lovely 55 1.4 much like the DA* that would probably be the bulk of my kit, expensewise.) I'd otherwise probably just be doing less with digital until I could afford something decent: it'd be just an improvement on the bridge camera I'd been toting around with the film stuff, previously.

05-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
Are the other DSLR's so inferior that you wouldn't be bothered to use them?
it is not really an issue of superiority or not, but the investment I had in lenses prior to digital. I might have stayed with film, or gone with a relitively expensive bridge camera, although wildlife and travel (using ultra wide) would have suffered

QuoteQuote:

I don't think rebranding another brand's DSLRs is enough to earn Samsung the title "DSLR brand". Fuji and Panasonic did a lot more with their DSLRs.

Prog.
I am not talking about rebranding only, but what about sony taking over minolta. I am sure someone would have taken over the pentax optical lines if pentax didn't want them, just as sony did with minolta.
05-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me, it would be a toss-up between Canon and Nikon. I'd probably lean more towards the Canon, simply because Dad has a Canon and some nice L-glass that he might let me use. If this type of a situation were to become a reality, I'd have to talk to people who shoot with either to get a better idea of which system would be better for me. With Canon, I'd probably go for a 40D or 50D and for Nikon, either a D90 or D300. If money were no object, then I'd want the 5DMk2 or D700.

Heather
05-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I had already been a Nikon user before from the F1, F2, F3, FM, FM2, and FA.
I really liked their glass.
So, I would say Nikon.

05-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I ticked Fuji and Nikon, but I'd consider any brand that met my criteria:

1) Are lenses I want available?
2) Are features I want available?
3) How do users rate the cams?
4) Can I afford them?

These were the questions whose answers led me to the K20D. AFAIK only Sony has in-body SR/IS; Sigma and Fuji 'forensic' cams give greatest ease to exploring spectrum slices without modding the camera (the only place Pentax falls down); users report more problems with Sigma and all but the highest-end Nikons and Canons; a 4/3 sensor just doesn't have enough clean megapickles, and Sonys are reputedly noisy; Panasonic, and decent Nikon and Canon gear, just costs too much.

I bought my K20D a bit over a year ago, my first-ever Pentax. I'd used old film Canon and Oly and other cams; most of my digis were Sony, and later an Oly underwater PNS (o how I wanted a Nikonos!). I certainly wasn't 'married' to Pentax, and am so now only because I have a sh!tl@ad of PK and M42 lenses, which I use on a ZX-M and some non-Pentax film cams. Does "starting over" mean I lose all those lenses? At least I can force-fit old some old Nikon glass onto a K-mount. Anyway, I chose the K20D because my extensive cost-benefit analysis put it ahead of the pack. I'd hate to have to re-do the research and analysis.

PS: I inherited some fine Minolta gear, which should have leaned me towards Sony - but I still prefer Pentax. I'm being given a Bronica system because it's not worth selling in today's market - but I still prefer Pentax. I can carry various PNS and film/folder cams in my bag and pockets for special purposes - but I still prefer the K20D for flexibility. If I lost the K20D somehow, I'd probably have to replace it with a K7. Does this make me a Pentaxian?

Last edited by RioRico; 05-26-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: addendum
05-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I certainly wasn't 'married' to Pentax, and am so now only because I have a sh!tl@ad of PK and M42 lenses, which I use on a ZX-M and some non-Pentax film cams. Does "starting over" mean I lose all those lenses?
Precisely the reason why Canon and Olympus make the next best thing to a Pentax: you can adapt nearly anything to these bodies, including the load of PK and M42 glass.
05-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Tricky question, I'm a bit torn.

For weddings and low light, I'd want a Nikon D3. For sports, I'd want a Canon 1D MK3. For Landscapes, I'd like a Canon 5D MK2 or a maybe a Canon 1DS MK3.

Realistically a D3 and 1D are both out of my price range, so I suspect if I wasn't with the Pentax brand that I would invest in a Canon 5D MK2. I've seen a lot of Landscape shots with it and the results are tremendous with the extra mega pixel count.
05-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Nikon

If I started now, I would buy Nikon for sure: D700 ( FF an NO video).
The fact that I have some K lenses is what's keeping me with Pentax.
Oh, and you missed a brand: Samsung.
If they would go the FF way (like R Mabo has hinted on some occasions), then I would follow them instantly - provided they'd stay true to the K mount, of course.

And just to be clear, I want FF so that the lenses I have would work (again) as they were designed to.

05-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Oh, and you missed a brand: Samsung.
No I didn't:

QuoteQuote:
I don't think rebranding another brand's DSLRs is enough to earn Samsung the title "DSLR brand". Fuji and Panasonic did a lot more with their DSLRs.

Prog.
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I'd wish for Nikon stuff but realistically might have to settle for Sony despite hating their cameras and lenses and everything. Or Olympus but they aren't any cheaper. Never held a Canon in my hand that I liked either.
05-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I'd probably go with Nikon. But I'd have my eye on the Olympus E-620 coupled with the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4. Or E-30 if I could get it cheap.
05-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

One other question I forgot to mention, perhaps the most important:

5) Do I think I'll be happy with the cam for a couple years at least?

In too many forums, I read too many messages about the need to upgrade to the latest and greatest from whichever maker. Not enough features, not enough megapickles, plastic cameras wearing out, no video, no firmware updates, etc. I didn't see as much of that from Pentaxians. That's a good sign.

Also, I'm a computer+electronics guy, have been just about all my life. I know about Moore's Law: digital circuitry doubles in density about every 18 months. When I bought that first dSLR, "entry level" cams were generally at 6 or 10 or maybe 12 megapickles, and would soon jump up, with the next entry-level generation. Pro cams were 20mpx or more, but cost hideously much. The K20D's 14+mpx came for just a little more more than the Canikony plastic weenies and offered terrific performance. It might last me 1 or 2 entire Moore generations. Whew.

So, absent Pentax, what dSLRs costing about US$1200 will be satisfying for much more than a year? Which will be savaged by Moore's Law, left in smoking in the distance by next XMas or Spring Break or whenever the next model year starts? How much will the upward migration path cost? Will I have to [shudder] get a job again to pay for the addiction? At least when I buy old MF folding film cams now, each hit is pretty cheap - not like trying to get the latest DA* Limited whatever, or the newest 999 fps cam with GPS, Bluetooth, babe detection and 'roid remover. I'm afraid that with Canikony, satisfaction is impossible.
05-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I would have a Nikon to match my Nikon lenses. When I bought my K10D the Nikon required to work my manual lenses was a D200 which was more $$$ than I was willing to spend on my 1st dSLR. I'll re-evaluate my situation when the K-7 becomes available (only because the my K10D's focusing leaves a lot to be desired... very happy with image quality). I'd buy a D90 if it could meter with Ais lenses properly... pity they (Nikon) do that to their legacy users. If I buy a K-7, I'll bite the bullet and sell the Nikkors (and an FM2n, keeping my original FE for nostalgia) and put the $$$ towards a 60-250/4 I think.
05-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
No I didn't:
Okay, so you didn't forget Samsung but omitted them.
I have another view on this.
Don't forget the DXO scores of the GX20 are a little bit better than the K20D. There must be more going on than just rebranding.
Let's just see what happens with Samsung: will they even keep their DSLR line alive or just stick to their new format.
Time will tell.
05-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
So, absent Pentax, what dSLRs costing about US$1200 will be satisfying for much more than a year? Which will be savaged by Moore's Law, left in smoking in the distance by next XMas or Spring Break or whenever the next model year starts? How much will the upward migration path cost? Will I have to [shudder] get a job again to pay for the addiction? At least when I buy old MF folding film cams now, each hit is pretty cheap - not like trying to get the latest DA* Limited whatever, or the newest 999 fps cam with GPS, Bluetooth, babe detection and 'roid remover. I'm afraid that with Canikony, satisfaction is impossible.
Are we considering new or also used cameras? In the evil Canon world, plenty of pros found the Mk II (1D/1Ds) to be "good enough" and many are still using theirs five years after they came out. In Nikon land, there are lots of D2x shooters though the gap between it and the D3 is more significant than in the Canon gear since the D3 was the first one to introduce full frame. I wonder if it's a combination of those cameras being sufficient to handle most anything the pros encounter as well as the excellent build quality that keeps them around and still so popular.

And to answer your question directly, a lightly used 5D or 1D II would be under $1200 and be satisfying for years to come -- they've been around for years and people are still shooting happily with them.