Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which DSLR brand would you choose? (pick up to two)
Canon 4825.00%
Nikon 15078.13%
Sony 2814.58%
Olympus 4422.92%
Fuji 136.77%
Sigma 63.13%
Panasonic 157.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #46
Veteran Member

I clicked on Nikon and Olympus without a second thought.

Now that that second thought has arrived, I recall that a disproportionate number of my favourite Flickr artists use Canon 5Ds. So I suppose that I'd have to seriously consider that option.

06-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #47

Original Poster
I'm surprised to see Nikon getting 4 times more votes than Canon. Both companies have similar lens lineups, similar DSLR offering (two heavy weight pro models, a semi-pro FF, a semi-pro APS-C model, two or three lower level APS-C models). Neither company offers in-body stabilization. So what exactly makes Nikon so much more attractive than Canon?

To me, both companies are non-starters due to the lack of in-body stabilization and generally lower value for money. I admit though that both offer great gear for those with unlimited funds.

Prog.
06-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
I'm surprised to see Nikon getting 4 times more votes than Canon. Both companies have similar lens lineups, similar DSLR offering (two heavy weight pro models, a semi-pro FF, a semi-pro APS-C model, two or three lower level APS-C models). Neither company offers in-body stabilization. So what exactly makes Nikon so much more attractive than Canon?

To me, both companies are non-starters due to the lack of in-body stabilization and generally lower value for money. I admit though that both offer great gear for those with unlimited funds.

Prog.
ergonomics , and glass that is more similar to pentax in a way

I did not choose nikon nor canon btw...

if I could I would shoot leica M8 ...
06-07-2009, 02:10 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
...if I could I would shoot leica M8 ...
Play the lottery every week!
I do too.

06-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #50

Canon, because it's the only other brand I'd gotten used to before Pentax. I still use a 10D once in a while. I'd probably go for a 50D.
06-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Nikon would be the only alternative to Pentax for me. I was actually considering a D50 before deciding on the K100D. For me I dislike the ergonomics of Canon cameras. The D300 fits my hands just about as well as the K20D. The main attractions for me are low light performance, predictive AF, comprehensive flash system. And the BIG turn off: price.
06-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #52
Dom

What about other.
Hasselblad, Leaf, and other.

I've been looking at a Leaf system as a future investment.

06-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #53
Banned

although my heart would say Olympus, my common sense would say nikon. if olympus used an aps-c sensor and had good backwards compatibility with older OM glass it would be a no brainer. but as it stands I would probably have invested in a nikon body that would have allowed me to use the few early non AI F mount lenses from my original F Photomic T. I love pentax glass especially Takumars. but early nikon glass is amazing as well. and ive always liked the way older nikon lenses look. canon wouldn't even be a consideration. photography is not a business for me, just a realy expensive hobby, so if I cant use legacy glass I dont care to invest in it.
06-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #54
Not Registered

Seamuis, I think that non-Ai lenses dont work on current nikon DSLRs without being AI'ed. I think that Olympus accepts almost every brand of lenses in fully manual mode.

Just a thought
06-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #55
Nubi

I would rather that I don't take any pictures at all unless I have Pentax gear in my hands.

I am saying all this hoping that there is a Pentax Marketing VP out there reading it so that he can give me a K-7 for free.
06-13-2009, 06:20 AM   #56
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Seamuis, I think that non-Ai lenses dont work on current nikon DSLRs without being AI'ed. I think that Olympus accepts almost every brand of lenses in fully manual mode.

Just a thought

actually you can. well not all of them (mirror clearance issues) but its possible. and the camera will function. besides that, its possible to have non AI lenses converted to AI. you have to use a whole slew of adapters for mounting lenses on an Olympus including OM lenses. and the OEM adapter is way overpriced. its a much bigger hassle than dealing with non AI lenses on nikon.
06-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #57
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sum nikon: 100
Sum all other brands put together: 103

Seems Nikon is winning by a landslide.
06-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #58
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Sum nikon: 100
Sum all other brands put together: 103

Seems Nikon is winning by a landslide.
nikon makes great cameras. they make great lenses. and they have a long and proud heritage. why not choose nikon?
06-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #59
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
nikon makes great cameras. they make great lenses. and they have a long and proud heritage. why not choose nikon?
Indeed, I voted Nikon myself. Altho the 5D II is very interesting in terms of its sensor and performance, but the control system/ergonomics, I dont like it much.
06-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I voted for Nikon, superb kit