Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
Sorry, but no on both of those.
Thanks, the flash support specs are a really big deal to me, and since they pretty much match my K10D on all points I probably won't be upgrading to the K-7. That said, the K-7 looks like it is a truly remarkable camera, especially at its projected price point. I hope it's a real winner for Pentax, and that it continues to lead to bigger and better things.

05-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #107
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
Thanks, the flash support specs are a really big deal to me, and since they pretty much match my K10D on all points I probably won't be upgrading to the K-7. That said, the K-7 looks like it is a truly remarkable camera, especially at its projected price point. I hope it's a real winner for Pentax, and that it continues to lead to bigger and better things.
I believe there might be a way around that, altho not tested by me and also expensive. altho it works with the k10d

If you have 3 pocket wizards.
1 connected to a flash
1 connected to the camera with the optional trigger cable connected in the cameras remote port
1 in your hand to trigger

set the pw connected to the camera in relay mode, meaning transmit set to "both" and with the pw connected to the flash in one channel above the two others.

this way you press the test button on the pw in your hand, it fires the camera and the remote flash at the same time. meaning it doesnt matter if the cameras hot shoe is dead above 1/180 because the pw is triggering the flash not the camera.

(sorry for the OT)
05-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #108
emr

John, thanks for bringing us some real information on the new K.

I'd like to ask about the firmware and its features. If I've understood correctly, most reviews so far have been done with a pre-release firmware 0.20, 0.34 or 0.35. Do you know if the release version will bring new features or if it'll be similar one without bugs?
05-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Do you know if the release version will bring new features or if it'll be similar one without bugs?
Silly, there are no bugs, only "undocumented features!"

05-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #110

Not sure what this question is getting at? The contrast detect AF is strictly for use during live view, and it is not secret on our part that it is slower than the phase detection AF (the normal AF). In fact, you can turn on the phase detection AF during live view (but the mirror will come down during AF) if you require more accurate AF.

The speed of the contrast detect AF is based solely on the processing power of the camera. I am not sure SDM has anything to do with it.

I was under the impression that contrast detect had the potential of being more consistent (accurate) than phase detect because it works via the final image rather than a separate sensor that needs to be perfectly calibrated with the sensor - though it is much slower. Maybe I am wrong about that.
05-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #111
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
John, thanks for bringing us some real information on the new K.

I'd like to ask about the firmware and its features. If I've understood correctly, most reviews so far have been done with a pre-release firmware 0.20, 0.34 or 0.35. Do you know if the release version will bring new features or if it'll be similar one without bugs?
It should be similar, without the bugs. The final firmware really comes down to correct misspellings, and tweaking the final image quality (which is the biggy).
05-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #112
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
I was under the impression that contrast detect had the potential of being more consistent (accurate) than phase detect because it works via the final image rather than a separate sensor that needs to be perfectly calibrated with the sensor - though it is much slower. Maybe I am wrong about that.
My understanding from discussions with Japan is the opposite. The contrast AF during live view is neither as fast or quite as accurate as the phase detection (or else, why have phase detection?). It also does not work in lower light levels where the phase detection does.

The real advantages are that it works in live view without the image blacking out (like on the K20D) and you can select any area of the image to focus on (where with phase detection, it is the 11-points.)
05-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #113
Banned

The accesory has to be purchased at the same time or after. Specifically, the coupon states "purchase a qualifying product between 6/1/2009 and 12/31/2010."
So after I get my pre-ordered K-7 from Pentax USA I could order the lenses with rebates until 12/31/2010 ? Wow that is 19 months.

05-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I believe there might be a way around that, altho not tested by me and also expensive. altho it works with the k10d

If you have 3 pocket wizards.
1 connected to a flash
1 connected to the camera with the optional trigger cable connected in the cameras remote port
1 in your hand to trigger

set the pw connected to the camera in relay mode, meaning transmit set to "both" and with the pw connected to the flash in one channel above the two others.

this way you press the test button on the pw in your hand, it fires the camera and the remote flash at the same time. meaning it doesnt matter if the cameras hot shoe is dead above 1/180 because the pw is triggering the flash not the camera.

(sorry for the OT)
That would be a little clumsy but it's a pretty slick work-around that hadn't occurred to me. I'm in the market for several upgrades to my lighting kit, including replacing my current radio trigger system. I'm pretty sure that would work with most of the trigger systems I'm evaluating. I'll keep that in mind - Thanks.

FYI for John, apologies for side tracking your thread a smidge but if they ever release a firmware upgrade for the K10D I will gladly pay a reasonable fee for the continued support, especially if it unlocks the hot shoe above the sync speed and/or gives me ISO 50. Both features might put the K-7 back in play for me too. Thanks!
05-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
[...] if they ever release a firmware upgrade for the K10D I will gladly pay a reasonable fee for the continued support [...]
Yes, yes, me too.

Ooooo...or open the code! Even better!
05-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #116

My understanding from discussions with Japan is the opposite. The contrast AF during live view is neither as fast or quite as accurate as the phase detection (or else, why have phase detection?). It also does not work in lower light levels where the phase detection does.

The real advantages are that it works in live view without the image blacking out (like on the K20D) and you can select any area of the image to focus on (where with phase detection, it is the 11-points.)
Getting back to my original question about SDM lenses. I guess it was this post from Mabo at dPreview that prompted the question about changes to the SDM lenses to improve contrast detect. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

"Re: I was hopping for fast LV S-AF.... NEW [SIMILAR]
Roland Mabo - 6 hours ago

They have upgraded internal lens motors and firmware to work better with contrast detect autofocus. I don't have any firm date, but expect more news on this later this year. Lens release dates and Pentax is an interrresting combinatio. -
--
Take care
// R
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphaelmabo"
05-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #117
Veteran Member

hi,

thanks John for sharing the big news with us here at pentaxforums.com

sorry if the question was already somewhere in dpreview i haven't notice it but the question concerns Auto focus.

i heard it will be much improved.

i also heard that focusing of the current DA sdm lenses will be improved in speed. is this true?

if true could you indicate by how much..

i have DA SDM 50-135mm and on k20d it focuses very slowly.

so will it focus quicker on K-7d?

thanks.

if you already answered that question somewhere please, write one word - yes or no.

Last edited by Mystic; 05-29-2009 at 01:36 AM.
05-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
I read somewhere the correction did not work on the 10-17mm but as it wasn't here I would take that with a big grain of salt until it is confirmed.
I would expect, that there is no in-built "correction" for the 10-17, because the fish-eye "distortion" is exactly what the lens should provide! Where is the sense in de-fishing a fish-eye? You'll not only loose the effect, but also the wide angle of coverage and resolution on top. So choosing a rectilinear wide-angle lens would be much better. And then the K-7 could sensibly take care of the distortion of that lens.

Ben
05-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #119
Veteran Member

As far as accuracy is concerned, contrast AF has the advantage of using the main sensor for focusing. So it can theoretically achieve perfect focus, with no front focusing or back focusing problem, and there is no need for AF micro-adjustment. Phase detection AF uses secondary focusing sensors, and can achieve perfect focus ONLY IF it has perfect calibration.

As for speed, Phase detection has the advantage in that once you point at an object, the sensor already knows which way to turn and by roughly how much. Contrast detection AF has no such info. It has to guess which way to turn first; and stop and turn the other way if guessed wrong, and it always has to go past the focus point and then back the find the focus (maximum contrast).
05-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #120
Site Supporter

John...

Thanks for showing your presence here John! If any of the staff here can help you out, please ask.

You may remember this post at DPR: John, not sure if my post... I don't know if it was just my invite to post here or several others asked too? Regardless, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post here - I know answering can be time consuming so it is most appreciated!!! I am glad the "initial wrinkles" seemed to have been ironed out...

BTW, in case anyone checked, Pentax sent out the K-7 announcement via e-mail around 4:30PM CST today!! Thanks again for doing this post Q&A - it is appreciated!

Regards,
Mard