Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Metering with M and K lenses is a mess. This is documented here exhaustively.
I gather that is true on the K10D and K20D, but it isn't on any other model, and the difference is apparently the focus screen. Since the K07 uses a different screen still, it seems quite premature to conclude that it will be as much of a "mess" as the K10D and K20D apparently is.

I'm assuming adding such a mechanical device to the camera would add complexity and cost and be one more thing to have to provide weather sealing for, and that the perception at Pentax is that the gains wouldn't be worth it. I'm not sure that's the right conclusion, but neither of us really know the costs or what percentage of the market for the camera would really care.

05-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #122
Veteran Member

I realize this might not be possible, but if it you could perhaps speak to Pentax Japan about removing the 99 shot limit from the intravelometer, because as it stands, its pretty much just a gimmick; for any decent time lapse you need to use an external intravelometer anyhow. It would be great to be able to carry one less bit of equipment, and it should be a very small change in firmware.
05-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #123
Pentaxian

John, first of all let me thank you very much indeed for posting here. This is really great!

I regret that you and the pentaxforums had a rough start. You got some rather direct responses which was unfortunate, but I'm not sure what the reaction at DPR would have been, had you welcomed them as the less civilised crowd. My experience is the opposite. I find this forum to be much friendlier and useful than DPR. Anyway.

At DPR you wrote the lens distortion correction also works for RAW files. Can you confirm that this means that RAW files will contain correction parameters to be used by subsequent RAW->JPG conversion? It seems unlikely to me that RAW images will actually be corrected in camera.

I guess there isn't a chance that users can enter lens correction parameters themselves, or in case they are too complex to be entered manually, upload them using an SD card? If find such kind of user empowerment very attractive.

Unrelated to the K-7 (great camera invoking tremendous amounts of gadget lust), does someone at Pentax read our "Dear Pentax" suggestion thread? There is a bit of noise but there are also some really noteworthy suggestions.

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
This kind of comment always blows me away. Pentax offers an unprecended level of backward lens compatibility, but it is still criticized.
With all due respect but the poster was not criticising. It was just a question. I don't see what is wrong with asking. The manual lens support could be better and some improvements wouldn't cost anything at all (e.g., allowing Av mode by putting the onus on the user to match camera aperture control with the physical aperture ring setting).
05-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #124
Pentaxian

BTW, I've been (too) heavily involved with various online forums since the 1970's. My opinion: they are all *identical* with regard to civility.

05-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
John, can you mention some of the new features in Digital Camera Utility 4 that make it such an improvement over the older software.
05-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #126

Photos: Albums
AE-L and P-TTL

Hello John,

How AE-L works with P-TTL? Will it fire pre-flash when you press AE-L button, or, similar to old cameras, fire pre-flash only when you press shutter release full way down?
05-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I gather that is true on the K10D and K20D, but it isn't on any other model, and the difference is apparently the focus screen. Since the K07 uses a different screen still, it seems quite premature to conclude that it will be as much of a "mess" as the K10D and K20D apparently is.
Right.
Today I will meet a K-7 and I will try to test an M lens on it.
05-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #128

There is talk of a brighter focus screen in the K-7. The K10D had a brighter screen than some previous models, but that seemed to be at the expense of accurate manual focusing. If you were slightly off it still looked OK on the screen.

For this reason lots of people buy replacement focussing screens for Pentax cameras.

Does the brighter K7 screen use the same 'micro lens' technology to make itself brighter? Is it worse, the same or better than K10D/K20D for showing actual depth of field and accurate manual focussing? If it is brighter at the further expense of accurate manual focussing, that could be a bad thing.

05-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #129
Pentaxian

Right.
Very cool! Do update us on this - I'm quite curious myself...
05-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right.
I would love to see the grey scale vs aperture for a fast M lens (1.4 or F1.7) using green button.
05-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #131
Pentaxian

deleted (PM sent)

Last edited by falconeye; 05-30-2009 at 03:43 AM.
05-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #132
Veteran Member

What I would have loved to have seen or even maybe added via an firware update is the ability to set the camera to take a photo when a loud sound happens i.e a person walking into a room or a water droplet splashing on the ground etc this would be a perfect addition to timelapse!

and actually is could be very easy to do as the camera has an ok built in mic but more importantly it has a sterio input so you could easily add a piezoelectric microphone to pick up the sharp sounds all you need is some software s the camera would listen and react when needed.

Think how useful this could be to nature photographers too being able to leave a camera close and step back and watch it capture beautiful scenes!

Anyway my question is when will we see some offical video and more photos
05-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Ditto the sound trigger idea.
05-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #134
Veteran Member

One question, one suggestion, one picture

QUESTION
On the K20D I use multiple exposure for some of my work (see below -- click through for larger). When I do, I need to use this feature many times in succession, but each time I am forced to go into the menu and set all the settings, then be sure not to go back into the menu for anything before taking the shots. This is very tedious. And it means I miss shots.

Has this process been made any easier on the K-7? Will the USER mode remember that I want multiple exposures? (It does not on the K20D). Has multiple exposure been added to the drive modes, where it belongs? (OK, that was three questions in one.)

SUGGESTION
With so many features on the camera and dozens of custom settings, we desperately need a "soft" button that can be programmed to do whatever we want. That way people who want RAW/JPG can be happy, those who need one-button bracketing can be happy, etc. This is entirely a matter of firmware. Can we please have this level of customisation?

In fact I'd like two soft buttons plus a custom menu feature (like the Nikon D80), but I'd be content with the bare minimum.

PICTURE
05-31-2009, 11:53 AM   #135
Veteran Member

So, How did your K-M lens work on K-7?

I used to own a 15mm SMC non A lens. It was a hassle to stop down meter with it all the time so I sold it a couple years ago and replaced it with 14mm 2.8 Tamron FA.

Does the K-7 work better with non "A" aperture SMC lenses, or is K-7 mount still "crippled"?

Right.