Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-7 Feature Questions

Don't worry all, I visit this forum as well.

I initially wanted to keep questions to one forum simply because it is a big job. To be honest (but not to offend anyone here) the DP Review forums are a bit more civilized, so I pick them first.

Edit: They are also much more active, and gives exposure to photographers who don't follow Pentax.

But...I thought I would give it a try here. This thread is for feature questions only. Any questions about image quality, high ISO noise, etc. will be ignored. As some of you may have notice from DP Review, I don't pull too many punches.

Before asking questions here, please check the two DP Review threads below. If it was asked in either of these threads, and it is not a quick response, I am not going to answer it here:

K-7 Feature Questions: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

K-7 Featue Questions (2): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And to clear the air, there is no AF or aperture control during movie capture. You can set both before hand (which is actually how most professional cinematographers handle focus and aperture), but not during. This is due to degraded quality of the video when you make changes during capture. We are seeing if this can be changed, maybe through a custom function, but as of right now, no.

Finally, please keep things civilized and remember....as far as I know, I am the only person from Pentax posting here. If you don't hear it from me, and this applies to any post, take it with a big grain of salt.

Last edited by JCPentax; 06-05-2009 at 08:17 AM.
05-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
Don't worry all, I visit this forum as well....To be honest (but not to offend anyone here) the DP Review forums are a bit more civilized, so I pick them first....But...I thought I would give it a try here...Finally, please keep things civilized (or I will just stop posting here) and remember....as far as I know, I am the only person from Pentax posting here (at least with the amount of knowledge I have - not to brag).

I wasn't worried...I'm not offended...no need to tell me to be civilized...and thanks for giving us a try here"!

Last edited by beaumont; 05-26-2009 at 10:17 PM.
05-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
What is the maximum number of pictures the time-lapse feature can be configured for? (I'm hoping it's more than the 99 of my K20D)

Thanks!
05-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
(content edited since my response below, but I'm keeping that for the record)
Google for "John Carlson Pentax" and then see if maybe he might actually know a thing or two :-)

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 05-27-2009 at 01:55 PM.
05-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Google for "John Carlson Pentax" and then see if maybe he might actually know a thing or two :-)
I stand corrected...plenty of reason to brag. My bad, resulting in a well deserved edit.
05-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Finally, please keep things civilized (or I will just stop posting here) and remember....as far as I know, I am the only person from Pentax posting here (at least with the amount of knowledge I have - not to brag). If you don't hear it from me, and this applies to any post, take it with a big grain of salt.

The majority of people on this forum know how to behave, insinuating that we dont and the following it up with no offence to cover your back doesn't cut it with me. I am actually quite insultd by this to be honest.
05-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ok relax guys... why don't we get back to the original purpose of this thread?
Which is asking questions for K-7 features
John C is very helpful at DPreview. I'd asked a couple of questions over there and he answered promptly in a concise and good manner too.

Maybe John hasn't known enough good people here in this forum yet.
I'm sure he'll change his POV once he gets to know most of us here.

So welcome aboard, John.
My first question is: Is it possible for Pentax to update K-7's firmware in the future regarding video mode just like what Canon did to 5DM2? Full aperture, shutter speed, ISO...and maybe functioning AF too?

Also, Adam (the admin) and I was trying to contact Pentax USA to see if we at PentaxForums can get a loaner for K-7 for full review since we just open a full section for a Complete & Exclusive Pentax Camera review. Do you think this is possible?
We have several highly capable/world class photographer here in this forum that are willing to support.

Thanks John for doing this. You and Pentax are a good example of a big company that truly listen to their customers.

Cheers,

05-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My questions:

1. What options exactly are in the bracketing menu? The same as K20?
I.e. 3/5 images with max. +/-2?

2. Can the Auto-ISO limits be set with the ISO button?
I see that the limits setting is now within the menu, which is not very comfortable.

3. What is the difference between the Program Lines "Minimize DoF" and "Action"?

4. Can you combine Bracketing with MLU? How?
05-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

O.K. - I ignore the somewhat strange introduction, despite agreeing completely with Mike – and ask my 2 questions about the K7:

- can the long exposure time noise reduction be switched off?

- will the firmware update cycle be improved? Because the K10 still would need an update, but has been banned into the Pentax Nirvana

Thanks,
Ben
05-27-2009, 04:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
- will the firmware update cycle be improved? Because the K10 still would need an update, but has been banned into the Pentax Nirvana
+1 on that. I wanted to bring up a request for firmware updates on the K10D, but didn't want to veer off-topic. Still, as far as lifespan, my K10D is still young (I hope!), yet it's apparently been abandoned by Pentax.
05-27-2009, 05:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Pentax USA vs. Pentax Japan

Hi John. Thanks for stopping by. I think a lot of us have followed the DPreview threads, so those basics are pretty well covered. I have a different kind of question, which is: how much technical influence does Pentax USA have?

I ask because, in asking questions of Pentax about my K10D and then again in researching for my flash guide, I often got the response that Pentax Japan doesn't provide that information to Pentax USA. In fact, this is the standard response to 90% of questions to which the answer can't just be found in the manual in the first place. (I want to be clear that Pentax customer support has been very helpful overall, though.)

Adding to this, I noticed the comment about the early information that the K100D had rotational SR being due to a mistranslation, and your recent comment that you wouldn't know if the K-7 comes with a fancy neck strap until it ships.

All of this adds up to a sense that Pentax USA is basically an importer and reseller of what's essentially another company's product. A dedicated, exclusive importer with a close relationship, of course, but still basically removed.

Is this characterization unfair?
05-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Don't worry all, I visit this forum as well.

I initially wanted to keep questions to one forum simply because it is a big job. To be honest (but not to offend anyone here) the DP Review forums are a bit more civilized, so I pick them first.
That was one terrible way to start. In case you are unaware, many gravitated here due to a lot of infighting at dpreview... Think of it as Pentax/dpreview/ ellis island. Apparently the witchhunt bannings and friend supporters leaving has culled the herd...
B As some of you may have notice from DP Review, I don't pull too many punches.
Apparently neither do we... but we forgive you. (sorry for the assumption of speaking for the masses)
Finally, please keep things civilized (or I will just stop posting here)
Seems you already have...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
The majority of people on this forum know how to behave, insinuating that we dont and the following it up with no offence to cover your back doesn't cut it with me. I am actually quite insultd by this to be honest.
Me too but let's give it a rest.....
05-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
optical preview and liveview

On K20D the on/off collar can be set to do one or the other. Both have their place.

1. On K7 is it possible to access both without going into menu? Seperate controls would be nice.
2. Have we lost the choice between 2 sec & 3 sec mirror lockup?
3. Can the dark frame subtraction noise reduction be absolutely turned off? This K20D feature caused me to keep the K10D as backup instead of buying 2nd K20D.
4. Will BG4 grip have a harder to hit accidently shutter button?
thanks
barondla
05-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
3. Can the dark frame subtraction noise reduction be absolutely turned off? This K20D feature caused me to keep the K10D as backup instead of buying 2nd K20D.
You guys aren't following the rules...yes this can be turned off finally:
Re: K-7 Feature Questions: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
05-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

O.K. he may know a thing or two, but there seem to be a few things he doesn't quite get:

1. You can't appoint yourself as a Moderator "This thread is for feature questions only. Any questions about image quality, high ISO noise, etc. will be ignored." and "Before asking questions here, please check the two DP Review threads below. If it was asked in either of these threads, and it is not a quick response, I am not going to answer it here:"

2. "the DP Review forums are a bit more civilized, so I pick them first." IS offensive, he had to have realized that it would be offensive, so the preceding comment of "(but not to offend anyone here)" is pretty much meaningless.

QuoteQuote:
As some of you may have notice from DP Review, I don't pull too many punches.
Neither do I. The comment "and remember....as far as I know, I am the only person from Pentax posting here (at least with the amount of knowledge I have - not to brag). If you don't hear it from me, and this applies to any post, take it with a big grain of salt." just may qualify you as the most arrogant, egotistical, self righteous person to ever post here; but hey, no offense intended and welcome to the forum.